Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times

Advertisements

did you run from Charlotte Beach to Tippicanoe Bay that's some traveling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Yes, Mike. It's not really a long run from Charlotte Beach to Tippy. The prior weekend I made the ride all the way down to the Cape Haze sand bar. Now that's a long, pre-dawn run. Today I'm joining a buddy on his boat and we're heading off shore out off Gasparilla Pass.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM

413 posts, read 828,223 times
I checkout the cam at the pass almost every morning, looked pretty calm today. How did you do?

Old 03-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Going out was as smooth as glass and we ran at 30 knots. Coming back was a 2' sea and we ran at 20 knots. Not bad. Fishing was great. There were 3 of us aboard. 30 lane snapper, 6 vermillion snapper, all legal size, 3 red grouper keepers, lots of short grouper released, a couple of real monster grouper beat us in the structure, 14 lesser amberjack, and a handful of triggerfish, grunts, porgies and blue runners.

We had lost track of our count during the day, so we recounted the snapper and re-measured the grouper before we came in. Everything was good but it's a good thing we did. We got checked by CCSO at the Placida Park ramp. He said no violators on Sunday but said Saturday he cited people for possessing gag grouper (not open until July) and for having short sheepshead. Keep it legal, folks. Have your guests buy fishing licenses, know the bag limits and measure your fish. I get stopped about twice a year here, in different boats too, so it's not just me. There are several really good apps for your smartphone to verify size and bag limits while you are out. I like this one called Fish Rules for $1.99. It uses your location to ensure you are getting accurate regulations for your area and has lots of photos for helping identify the different species.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
I like the idea about the Fish Rules app (who would have guessed there are so many types of groupers??) but will it work if you're out of cell tower range? Having yet to explore the harbor, I don't know if there are any dead spots out there. What about off shore; how far out before you loose the cell signal?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I like this one called Fish Rules for $1.99. It uses your location to ensure you are getting accurate regulations for your area and has lots of photos for helping identify the different species.
Must be in the Apple I-store only. There is only one "Fish Rules" app in the Android store. 4/5 stars and it's free. Maybe I'll give it a try

Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 AM

Once you download the app, it will be available off line, with all of the data available to look things up. I did it yesterday, 20 miles off-shore. Your cell service will be lost between 5-10 miles out, depending on your carrier. Hint: to save your battery, either turn off the phone or if you want it for camera access or to use your apps, put your phone in airplane mode so it doesn't use power searching for a cell signal.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
MA were you in your mako ?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM

No, lol....didn't take the Mako Flats 20 miles out. We were in my buddy's KW Bluewater 20.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 AM

493 posts, read 636,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Must be in the Apple I-store only. There is only one "Fish Rules" app in the Android store. 4/5 stars and it's free. Maybe I'll give it a try
I looked in the apple store and found the only app called "fish rules" was a free app also. It works the same as the one HH described so maybe it's just free now? It's an awesome app especially for people like me that are new to the area and want to stay out of trouble. Thanks for the heads up HH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte