Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM

50 posts, read 68,037 times

Advertisements

Messing About,

Looking forward to joining in on one of these fishing trips some day. I would really like to meet up you guys and talk about fishing and what kind of boat to get for fishing the Bay etc. When I do get there and get set up with a boat, fishing out of my boat with some of you guys who are experts on the area would be my treat. Maybe one of you boys have a line on a good boat I could check out to buy. My brother in law who is an expert fisherman for salmon in Lake Michigan is also making a move to the area. I'm sure some of the techniques he uses for running up to 12 lines at once could translate to fishing blue water or the Bay (not sure about 12 lines at once in Florida). Coming down August 15th to check out the house in Harbor Heights for about 10 days (we need some furniture to sit on!). Can't wait to start meeting people and enjoying the area.

Bucknut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,951,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut1 View Post
Messing About,

Looking forward to joining in on one of these fishing trips some day. I would really like to meet up you guys and talk about fishing and what kind of boat to get for fishing the Bay etc. When I do get there and get set up with a boat, fishing out of my boat with some of you guys who are experts on the area would be my treat. Maybe one of you boys have a line on a good boat I could check out to buy. My brother in law who is an expert fisherman for salmon in Lake Michigan is also making a move to the area. I'm sure some of the techniques he uses for running up to 12 lines at once could translate to fishing blue water or the Bay (not sure about 12 lines at once in Florida). Coming down August 15th to check out the house in Harbor Heights for about 10 days (we need some furniture to sit on!). Can't wait to start meeting people and enjoying the area.

Bucknut
MA has a skinny-water skiff, and I have a big bay boat. To cover all the bases, we need somebody with a serious offshore machine, maybe a Pursuit 30 Express, so that's my recommendation;-))). I don't know how many lines you could run off one, but with outriggers, downriggers, side planers and kites, I'm sure it's dozens.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM

50 posts, read 68,037 times
wpc,

Yikes! those are some big numbers for that Pursuit 30 even several years old. I am sure I won't be able to be the third part of that boat Trifecta. Gonna have to be something in the 22-24 foot range less than $50K. My brother in law is bringing a lot of his big water fishing equipment for fun on the water. Gonna be a great learning experience for both of us with the river, bay and blue water fishing down here. We will share what we can with others and hope to get educated by many of you good fisherman along the to developing friendships.

Bucknut

Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,760,100 times
Fished Saturday with WPC on his boat. Four of us aboard, fishing in 70' of water, caught keeper lane snapper, a released big trigger fish, lots of squirrels, the biggest lizard fish any of us had ever seen and were stalked by remora all day long. Saw 2 scary looking huge beings about 10' below the blue water.....we surmised were with bull sharks or nurse sharks...pretty light to white colored bodies.

Came inshore about 2pm and finished out the day near Don Pedro state park. Great time and great hospitality from WPC, who'd been on my boat a few times and was happy to Captain for us on Saturday.

Enjoyed the snapper for dinner, with the Captain's recommendation for preparation...descale, gut, light coats of extra virgin olive oil, a little seasoning...grilled whole for 8 minutes per side at 400.

Pair with Caribbean rice and coupled with Yuengling....yuuuummmmmmyyyyy.

Thanks for the nice day, Capt.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,951,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Fished Saturday with WPC on his boat. Four of us aboard, fishing in 70' of water, caught keeper lane snapper, a released big trigger fish, lots of squirrels, the biggest lizard fish any of us had ever seen and were stalked by remora all day long. Saw 2 scary looking huge beings about 10' below the blue water.....we surmised were with bull sharks or nurse sharks...pretty light to white colored bodies.

Came inshore about 2pm and finished out the day near Don Pedro state park. Great time and great hospitality from WPC, who'd been on my boat a few times and was happy to Captain for us on Saturday.

Enjoyed the snapper for dinner, with the Captain's recommendation for preparation...descale, gut, light coats of extra virgin olive oil, a little seasoning...grilled whole for 8 minutes per side at 400.

Pair with Caribbean rice and coupled with Yuengling....yuuuummmmmmyyyyy.

Thanks for the nice day, Capt.
My pleasure, glad to have you aboard. We'll have to do it again sometime when the "2 foot seas" are less than 4 ft.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,760,100 times
Enjoyed a nice half day outting with my 14 year old grandson (visiting from AZ) yesterday. We launched out of Placida Park at 9AM and trolled the beach. We only caught lizardfish but spotted several rolling tarpon, bottle nose dolphin, and the head of what must have been the largest sea turtle I've ever seen. We paused outside Stump Pass to take a dip in the cool, clear, Gulf water before hearing inside the ICW. Wind and waves were very calm.

We used the I-Pilot to anchor in the swift outgoing tide, where the bottom drops from 8-16 feet, and fished there for about a half hour. No hookups. We headed back south on the ICW and I taught the boy how to drive the boat. This was much more fun than the fishing for him. He did great. At 1:30 he got his first lesson in loading the boat on the trailer. Soon he will be able to do this alone and I will just be the truck driver.

Not much of a fishing trip but another memorable day Messing About in the Boat.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 PM

463 posts, read 864,118 times
Went out on Wednesday to my wifes new favorite spot. As I was pulling in a 6" mango the water explodes wher my wife just casted. Ok so here is the final tally.
Me
2 small mangos
1 small snook
Wife
4 nice snook one over 30"
3 redfish 1 21" 1 22" and one 24"
1 17" sheepshead
all in two hours and again never moved more than twenty feet.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 PM

697 posts, read 1,165,050 times
very nice

Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times
I have great memories teaching my boy to hande a boat.
then one day I was out in my boat and the motor quit I called my son at home after he got home from school and hop in the second boat and came to the rescue. before seatow and paddling wasn't working

Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
Went out on Wednesday to my wifes new favorite spot. As I was pulling in a 6" mango the water explodes wher my wife just casted. Ok so here is the final tally.
Me
2 small mangos
1 small snook
Wife
4 nice snook one over 30"
3 redfish 1 21" 1 22" and one 24"
1 17" sheepshead
all in two hours and again never moved more than twenty feet.
im gona follow you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte