Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:03 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,756,243 times

Advertisements

Tough finding fish of size yesterday. No Pompano in my usual place in Placida...guessing water still too warm at 72*. We fished from the Gasparilla Pass to Devilfish Key to Bull Bay and vback to the Pass. Caught many trout in the 8-12" variety, biggest being a quarter inch shy of a keeper. Had a couple of strong breakoffs in the Pass at 28'. Landed baby red and gag grouper, grunts, small mangrove snapper.

Funniest moment of the day. In Bull Bay, Mark had what may have been the first keeper trout. Right near the boat, his leader knot failed and the fish took the hook, shrimp, leader and cork. We could see the cork bobbing around and the fish tried to shake it loose. Mark asked me to bring the boat over so he could try to get it back. I'm thinking, what? We're going to chase a hooked fish and float all around Bull Bay? As soon as the boat would get close, the fish would move, but actually not far. We used the trolling motor to chase him around for a few minutes and Mark could see the trout. He took my net out and got a shot at it. He picked up the float and came up with the entire rig, including the intact shrimp. The trout apparently was never hooked, just didn't want to let the bait go until we pushed him to. That's the kind of day it was.

The wind was much stronger than forecast...easily 15 much of the day. Had continuing troubles with my Powerpole. Works great in my driveway and for much of the morning at sea and then decides to stop powering. Frustrating. Feel like it has to be my poor wire crimping job. It's the only thing that makes sense. Nonetheless, we had another nice day on the water. Did 3 webcasts on Periscope, for over an hour of air time during the day and still had battery power left on my iPhone. Never had a good excuse to turn on the Go Pro, although I wish I would have captured the run back from Bull Bay to Placida. We exited out the north end of Bull Bay and ran hard and fast in really skinny water. As we got back to the blue water of Gasparilla Sound, we avoided the swinging bridge by short cutting across the flats to the west end of the trestle. Don't know how we didn't run aground in the few inches of water we flew across but it would have been cool to have on camera.

We finished the last two hours in the Gasparilla Pass and lamented how this could be the first time Mark and I fished together that we didn't bring home at least one keeper. On his last cast of the day, Mark landed his first Spanish Mackeral, a very nice 18"er. Mission accomplished.

Tonight Mark and his family will join my wife and I for the Lighted Boat Parade on the Peace River. Next weekend I take my youngest son (19) to Indy to see his Colts play the Texans. I tried to raise the boy a Cardinals fan but it didn't take. After that it's Christmas at home, then NYE in Key West. Have friends coming from Phoenix for NYE and will likely fish one day here before we take the KW Express out of Fort Myers. 2016 is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:23 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,948,224 times
I'm still digging through the garage looking for my soldering iron. As soon as I find it, we'll get rid of those shaky crimps, if that's what it is. LOL story on the trout, although a little embarrassing for Mark to have a knot fail on a trout...you could have said goliath grouper ;-))

Old 12-16-2015, 04:35 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,255,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
I'm still digging through the garage looking for my soldering iron. As soon as I find it, we'll get rid of those shaky crimps, if that's what it is. LOL story on the trout, although a little embarrassing for Mark to have a knot fail on a trout...you could have said goliath grouper ;-))

Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 AM

Forgot to say how funny I found that response, WPC. Good one. Wonder when the Pompano are going to come in large numbers?

I recently joined another discussion forum about outdoor ceramic cooking (Kamadoguru) and one of the things I thought was cool is they have a live chat room members can enter and hold live discussions. Would be cool if we had that feature. My cooker arrives next Tuesday. I need some fish meet.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 AM

5,102 posts, read 4,868,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
...I recently joined another discussion forum about outdoor ceramic cooking (Kamadoguru) and one of the things I thought was cool is they have a live chat room members can enter and hold live discussions. Would be cool if we had that feature. My cooker arrives next Tuesday. I need some fish meet.
Link please??
I'm starting the countdown; should be 3 weeks and a few days before I finish up with the northern holiday rendezvous and get back in town to trying to catch a fish in Charlotte Harbor. I even got a new reel compliments Cabelas points on a recent store visit in Hamburg, PA. For those who haven't visited a Cabelas yet, it's kind of like BassPro on steroids.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Link please??
I'm starting the countdown; should be 3 weeks and a few days before I finish up with the northern holiday rendezvous and get back in town to trying to catch a fish in Charlotte Harbor. I even got a new reel compliments Cabelas points on a recent store visit in Hamburg, PA. For those who haven't visited a Cabelas yet, it's kind of like BassPro on steroids.
Kamado Guru
is the link. My name on there is the same as here. There's also a terrific you tube channel called Kamado Joe with how to's, recipes and a monthly talk show run by the host John Setzler. Really well done. My cooker arrives next Tuesday. Might try to start a thread related to it but it's hard to keep a local spin on a cooking thread and the Mods might move it to a general cooking site. The thing I love most about City Data is the group we have on here...active posters, respectful of each other and just plain good people.

I like Cabelas too but I heard they are in financial troubles. Hate to see them go under but without one in FL Bass Pro remains king of the big fish tackle retailers.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Kamado Guru
is the link. My name on there is the same as here. There's also a terrific you tube channel called Kamado Joe with how to's, recipes and a monthly talk show run by the host John Setzler. Really well done. My cooker arrives next Tuesday. Might try to start a thread related to it but it's hard to keep a local spin on a cooking thread and the Mods might move it to a general cooking site. The thing I love most about City Data is the group we have on here...active posters, respectful of each other and just plain good people.

I like Cabelas too but I heard they are in financial troubles. Hate to see them go under but without one in FL Bass Pro remains king of the big fish tackle retailers.
Heard the same thing about Cabela's; didn't research it, but I assume it's over-expansion and hangover stress from the recession.

3x on the group here. I've abandoned CD in other places because every post seems to blow up into some kind of rant; little useful information or discussion.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM

[quote=Messing About;42312039]Forgot to say how funny I found that response, WPC. Good one. Wonder when the Pompano are going to come in large numbers?

Pompano will only be straggling in until the water cools off, and who knows when that will be. I've heard they're biting on the beaches, but I haven't been, so no first-hand info.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:05 PM

202 posts, read 225,190 times
I finally have the house somewhat under control, so thoughts of fishing are dancing in my head. I should have a boat here the first week or so of January. What pound leader do you folks use in the canals, around the mangroves etc.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:40 PM

I use 20 lb braid and 30 lb leader in the mangroves. Lands most slot redfish just fine. I have a couple rods loaded that way. If I am trying to land snook I will step up to 30/30 or 30/40. For trout I throw 10/20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte