Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times

Advertisements

I heard BH only charters for cases of beer? I could be wrong. Have a great fishing trip in the keys and congrats on the boat sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
SOLD!!!
It's officially the second best day in my boater's life, right?

I knew if the guy was coming 5 hours, one way, it was a good prospect.
I just had to find the right price, because the NADA values mean nothing in this market. I revised my price down and got my asking price this time.

No, Fox...I've not seen those boats.

My problem now is I have a buddy coming next week from AZ who expects to go fishing with me. LOL. We're going to Islamorada and KW for 4 days, then were hoping to fish Charlotte Harbor for a few days. Hmmmm.

I have to wait for this buyer's Minnesota check to clear before I can release my boat and buy the next one. Grrrrrrrrr. Anyways, I'm stoked and shopping!

BH...any chance of my pal and I joining you on your boat after Valentine's Day? I'd be happy to return the favor in the near future and of course share fuel/bait costs.

Yeah, we need to calibrate when though. I have friends coming down the end of the month. I'll DM you my phone number - although I thought I already had. But, when someone offers fuel, food, bait and beer - its aweful hard to resist. LOL j/k

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
I just watched another episode of Fishin' The Flats on WFN.
Henry was catching Goliath Grouper in Charlotte Harbor.
OMG...I had no idea they lived in the 15' depths of our estuary.
He was also catching them in BG Pass, which doesn't surprise me.
I think I need to re-spool my 114H with some 250lb test, buy some 400lb leader and try and get me one of those!

BH - Got your DM. Will definately hook up.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy the 05' Key West 196 Bay & Reef.
I have to wait for my buyers Minnesota check to clear before releasing my boat to him. I'm sure my bank will hold the funds for 10 days and earn interest on my 17k. (Scam) I'm going to go see the KW on Tuesday and will likely put a deposit down. Super excited.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,556 times
Messing About, if you watch what Henry and others are doing they also use circle hooks as is tends to get the fish hooked just right in the corner of their mouth and they usually use a super braid primary line and a high test monofilament leader tied on the end via a big barrel swivel. The rods are pretty stout something like what is used for giant tarpon, lot of backbone and not very long! Look for docks with old big diameter wood pilings and get ready for the fight of your life!!! Good luck, hope you catch one!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I just watched another episode of Fishin' The Flats on WFN.
Henry was catching Goliath Grouper in Charlotte Harbor.
OMG...I had no idea they lived in the 15' depths of our estuary.
He was also catching them in BG Pass, which doesn't surprise me.
I think I need to re-spool my 114H with some 250lb test, buy some 400lb leader and try and get me one of those!

BH - Got your DM. Will definately hook up.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy the 05' Key West 196 Bay & Reef.
I have to wait for my buyers Minnesota check to clear before releasing my boat to him. I'm sure my bank will hold the funds for 10 days and earn interest on my 17k. (Scam) I'm going to go see the KW on Tuesday and will likely put a deposit down. Super excited.
Now you know why I said that I had 6 fish on that broke 80# braided line like it was thread!! And, I respooled my bigger reels with 150# braided line!

If you want some fun, Utube, Boca Grande Pass Sharks, Tarpon, Gouper. You will see what I mean!

Some guys last summer hand lined for grouper in the hole across from alligator creek. They didn't catch a grouper they did catch a tarpon, and it dragged their boat about 8 miles, they were covered in fish gunk - smelled like crap, and all three of them had bad rope burns on their hands!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Pics of my new (to me) boat are on my blog. Click this link to see:
Messing About in South Florida

Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Messing About, sweet boat, is there a trolling motor or are you going to mount one on it? That thing really ought to move!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 AM

There was a trolling motor but the seller got rid of it cuz it was a 55lber and not strong enough when the wind would get under the t-top. He recommended 70lb of thrust.

Key West Boats wires this model for plug and play so it's ready for a new one. This will be my first outboard so there's lots to learn.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
There was a trolling motor but the seller got rid of it cuz it was a 55lber and not strong enough when the wind would get under the t-top. He recommended 70lb of thrust.

Key West Boats wires this model for plug and play so it's ready for a new one. This will be my first outboard so there's lots to learn.

Nice Boat! It is a lot like mine. Mine is wired for a trolling motor, but I never installed one - yet. I have dual batteries with a switch that can allow the boat or trolling motor to draw from one at a time. I am thinking of installing mine sometime this fall. I can mount a chair in the front, like you have, but haven't done that either. I will probably when I get the trolling motor. With the trolling motor, and by sitting up front, you will be able to get into really shallow water as well.

Good point about the T-top acting like a sail. It really does.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Messing About, hey that is a sweet boat, looks like a model 198 so does that mean it is 19'8" in length? About how much does the boat weigh do you know? Just curious, it is a very nice boat and I bet you are chomping at the bit to take it out for the first time! Did you test drive it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte