U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Getting ready to make the move to Florida this summer. Looking at eventually buying something in the Port Charlotte or North Port area. After reading many of the helpful posts on this forum, I have decided to look for an offseason house rental first. That way I can see if I can handle the heat and humidity, and get a feel for the neighborhoods in the area

I work in healthcare, occupational therapy assistant, and am cautiously optimistic that I will find something that suits me. I have 2 interviews with home care companies scheduled for mid May when I come down to check out the area.

Now for some of my questions: Which area, PC or NP is better suited for a recently single 40 something woman? I don't need a wild nightlife, but do like to watch my Red Sox/Patriots at a local sports bar maybe. Also, enjoy fishing and just relaxing by the coast.

Also wondering if it is reasonable to think I can buy a small house 2-3 bedrooms in a safe area for under 100K? I'm not opposed completely to condos, but know I have to be very careful about buying one of these given the unstable market and vacancy rates.

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,570,988 times
Congrats on your decision to move south! Possibly the biggest hurdle looks to be a non-issue for you (jobs). In your profession, you will have decent offers. My wife is a PTA at a local hospital here.
I can't speak for NP much since I don't know a whole lot about it, but there are others on here that do and will speak up. PC and Punta Gorda have plenty of watering holes to quench your thirst (drinks and sports thirst :-)
Have you spent time in these areas before?
I don't think you will have a problem finding a 2 or 3 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood for under $100k. In fact, you might even find a pool home for that. But the experts will chime in here and give you their thoughts. Good luck!!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,946,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassysoxfan63 View Post
Hello All,
Getting ready to make the move to Florida this summer. Looking at eventually buying something in the Port Charlotte or North Port area. After reading many of the helpful posts on this forum, I have decided to look for an offseason house rental first. That way I can see if I can handle the heat and humidity, and get a feel for the neighborhoods in the area

I work in healthcare, occupational therapy assistant, and am cautiously optimistic that I will find something that suits me. I have 2 interviews with home care companies scheduled for mid May when I come down to check out the area.

Now for some of my questions: Which area, PC or NP is better suited for a recently single 40 something woman? I don't need a wild nightlife, but do like to watch my Red Sox/Patriots at a local sports bar maybe. Also, enjoy fishing and just relaxing by the coast.

Also wondering if it is reasonable to think I can buy a small house 2-3 bedrooms in a safe area for under 100K? I'm not opposed completely to condos, but know I have to be very careful about buying one of these given the unstable market and vacancy rates.

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide!

I live in North Port. The average age here is 38, so in that respect I think you'd fit in nicely. Most of the homes and shopping areas in NP are newer.

You have a pretty good plan by coming down after the snowbirds have gone back. The rental rates should be lower then and you'll get an idea of heat factor, especially if you're here in August.

Port Charlotte is pretty similar to North Port other than the fact that it has a little more going on in the way of a mall, more restaurants, etc.

There are plenty of homes under $100k that would be fine for you.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,109,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Congrats on your decision to move south! Possibly the biggest hurdle looks to be a non-issue for you (jobs). In your profession, you will have decent offers. My wife is a PTA at a local hospital here.
I can't speak for NP much since I don't know a whole lot about it, but there are others on here that do and will speak up. PC and Punta Gorda have plenty of watering holes to quench your thirst (drinks and sports thirst :-)
Have you spent time in these areas before?
I don't think you will have a problem finding a 2 or 3 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood for under $100k. In fact, you might even find a pool home for that. But the experts will chime in here and give you their thoughts. Good luck!!

I agree with HH. You won't have any problem finding anything in your budget range. I'm sure you will be happy with what you get. I built all over the NVA area, and what you will get for the money will be make you quite happy!

There are plenty of great places to go to. Fishing is great! There are lots of sports bars. The Stone Crabs are in Port Charlotte. They are Cal Ripkins minor league team. And if you like the Red Sox, they also play winter ball down here during spring training so you can actually see a game at an affordable price.

The beaches are only a half hour from North Port and PC.
Welcome to the board.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to heading that way next month to check out the area and have 2 job interviews!
@BH.....the Red Sox are probably what got me looking in the area to begin with....I miss going to Fenway, and I understand the new stadium being built will be built to the same specs as Fenway Park! or as we say "Pahk"

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,109,229 times
Quote:
Hey thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to heading that way next month to check out the area and have 2 job interviews!
@BH.....the Red Sox are probably what got me looking in the area to begin with....I miss going to Fenway, and I understand the new stadium being built will be built to the same specs as Fenway Park! or as we say "Pahk"

Ya not a Havaad girl ah ya?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Haha....Definitely not a Havaad girl!....But have to tell you I'll take a Sam Adams Summer Ale over a Yuengling any day.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,019,084 times
Quote:
I believe my colleagues in Boston have secured tickets for my first trip to Fenway, Saaahx vs the Paahdrahz, on June 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte