Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,421,221 times

Advertisements

Considering some nice "looking" 2 BR condos in the Punta Gorda area under $100K; and looking for opinions relative to "issues" post-Hurricane Charley. Some were really hammered during that storm and what should I look for as to stability of the buildings going forward. Also, can mold be an issue now in that area? Heritage Lakes has a few nicer condos, but their CDD fees and property taxes are out of proportion to the asking and sale prices. Are they "over-assessed" possibly? How often does re-evaluation/re-assessment occur in Charotte County?

What inspections by professional inspectors are necessary before buying into condo complexes? Am also concerned with solvency of HOA's, and which ones to stay away from that may be "Condo Nazis" or in the reverse, "Condo Slobs". Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,960,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Heritage Lakes has a few nicer condos, but their CDD fees and property taxes are out of proportion to the asking and sale prices. Are they "over-assessed" possibly? How often does re-evaluation/re-assessment occur in Charotte County?
In regards to this question about the taxes, surprisingly, Charlotte Co has been very fair with property taxes. Places I've lived in the past we had to fight the assessor to reduce our taxes. Charlotte Co has been reducing tax values for the past few years in accordance with the market. Of course they are trying to make up for lost revenue by increasing the millage rate, but that's a whole 'nother thread
All properties are assessed yearly. I believe they take a sample, and use that % change for all similar properties.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,494,234 times
Here is the Charlotte County Property Appraiser web site:
Charlotte County Property Appraiser

I can send you a list of home inspectors if you DM me.

Here is a blog I wrote about home inspections.

Get that home inspection before you close on a home
When it comes to things you need to do before buying a home, a professional home inspection tops the list. After you have signed a contract and it has been accepted by buyer and seller, you need to schedule a home inspection. Be sure that your contract indicates that the purchase is pending the results of a home inspection.

There are many home inspectors around. You can ask a friend, relative, or your Realtor for recommendations. Also search the Internet for local inspectors. The inspection should be completed by a certified or licensed home inspector. The cost is anywhere from $250 and up depending on the size of the home and the type of inspections performed. Also, plan to pay for this out of your own pocket up front as the buyer.

The purpose of the home inspection is to determine if the home has any potential or existing problems. It also gives you peace of mind knowing if there are any issues before you buy. You should be at the inspection with the inspector. The inspector can show and explain any problems that might be harder if you only received a written report. Most inspections take at least an hour and sometimes longer. In addition to seeing everything first hand with the inspector, you generally receive a written report with photos following the inspection.

What is typically included in an inspection? A home inspector will check the home structure, the water situation, as well as heating and electrical. You should also plan to get a separate termite and wood destroying organisms inspection from a pest control company. This is usually done for free and can be scheduled at the same time as the home inspection.

In Florida some other inspections that are offered are homeowner insurance inspections such as a 4 point insurance inspection, roofing certification inspection, and a wind mitigation inspection. These may have additional costs.

After the inspection is complete you can determine if you still want to go ahead with the purchase of the home. If there are problems that are too costly, then you can terminate the contract. An inspection can save you several thousands of dollars down the road, but again it also gives you peace of mind.

Last edited by TamRE; 05-09-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM

85 posts, read 190,261 times
I was wondering if Chinese drywall has to be disclosed and how expensive is it to test for it? I'm thinking of getting out of the snow. I would be moving my 4 young children and wife down. I am a RN from Mayo Clinic and my wife is a social worker. I stayed in Port Charlotte for 6 months (loved it) but had to move to Rochester , Mn. Are any neighborhoods I should avoid? Thanks in advance !

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,421,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
I was wondering if Chinese drywall has to be disclosed and how expensive is it to test for it? I'm thinking of getting out of the snow. I would be moving my 4 young children and wife down. I am a RN from Mayo Clinic and my wife is a social worker. I stayed in Port Charlotte for 6 months (loved it) but had to move to Rochester , Mn. Are any neighborhoods I should avoid? Thanks in advance !
You might want to look in this thread and search for "Chinese Drywall", I just read some responses on this very subject that were informative. Bottom line was that maybe only 1 or 2% of properties between 2002 and 2007 were affected. But I cannot emphasize enough, get a home inspector. Banks do not have to disclose much because obviously they never lived in the property; but, yes, the seller does have to disclose. Why a seller would not have already fixed the problem is worrisome, and try to get around not disclosing can be daunting.

I don't blame you for wanting to get away from the snow. You've lived there for 6 months? did that include summer? The heat and humidity can be brutal I understand. But I am flying down next week to look at condos, and have a long list of questions.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,984,934 times
To answer the OP's question, homes and condos that were built in the 80's to early 90's had the most damage. Many homes have roofs that are attached to the trusses with STAPLES. RE-Nailing the roof deck for a reroof was only required after 2010. Homes built after 2002 had the least damage.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I will take heat and humidity over 30 below anyday. 8 monthes of winter is enough !

Old 05-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the info on Chinese drywall. I like knowing that only 1-2% have it but I will definately take your advice on having it tested first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte