Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
ate at Sharkey's yesterday

Alot of people don't know that Sharkey's is owned by the same guys who own Joe Crackers in Port Charlotte.
Home - Joe Cracker Port Charlotte, Fl
Is that good or bad? thought the food was great there. Huge portions... have to walk off all my "dining out" this weekend. There was an ad on the chalkboard in there for Joe Crackers.

Was Venice a military base at one time? got that impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM

386 posts, read 1,015,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Yes, I am fussy.
Fussy? You sound more like a snob to me![/quote]

No she is not a "snob", she's just stating her opinion with which I happen to agree. Name calling is not cool. If you disagree with her observations just state your case.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:47 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
I am sorry you did not like Punta Gorda. I like the waterfront and downtown restaurants and Laishley and Gilchrest Parks that bring many events. Boating and fishing are both major attractions for Punta Gorda. There are many canals in Punta Gorda Isles that the residents enjoy. I love going to the holiday boat parade every year.

There are some luxurious waterfront homes and condos in upscale and gated/golf communities in Punta Gorda. I guess it is a matter of personal preference and what amenties you are looking for and can afford.

Kings Highway and Deep Creek have a Punta Gorda address, but they are physically in Port Charlotte, not Punta Gorda. Because of the large number of foreclosures and short sales in that area, it has not been as well kept up.

I visit the Sebastian Inlet, Melbourne, and Vero Beach area every year for a UPS Picnic. The area is nice and has affordable properties, but the beaches are very different on that side of the state, colder water and higher waves. The further south you go, the more crowded the traffic is - going toward West Palm.

Best of luck you to in finding something that fits your desired lifestyle.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quilter, I feel like you do about those places. I don't want to criticize because as has been mentioned, everyone likes something different or we would all want to live in the same place!

We live up here in Whitfield, right between Sarasota and Bradenton and love all that the Sarasota/Bradenton area has to offer. Honestly, I could not live anywhere further south than Sarasota, in fact downtown Sarasota would probably be my cutoff (OK, maybe down to Bee Ridge Rd. ) We have access to so much great dining, shopping, organic foods, arts, events, not to mention fabulous BEACHES! I always laugh and say to my husband "other people save all year to come visit where we get to live!"

And as Shannon said, we don't really care much for the Atlantic at all. I am a sunset coast girl!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Is that good or bad? thought the food was great there. Huge portions... have to walk off all my "dining out" this weekend. There was an ad on the chalkboard in there for Joe Crackers.

Was Venice a military base at one time? got that impression.
Pcozad- I didn't know they were owned by the same people.

Quilter- Yes, Venice was actually home to the old KMI (Kentucky Military Academy) building in the downtown area. I have pictures of my grandfather back in the 20's in his uniform out in front of it.

It was also home to the circus. The south bridge over to Venice is called the "Circus Bridge". My mom said she can remember sitting on the edge of the road watching as the elephants, tigers, etc walked down the street when the circus came to town.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Pcozad- I didn't know they were owned by the same people.

Quilter- Yes, Venice was actually home to the old KMI (Kentucky Military Academy) building in the downtown area. I have pictures of my grandfather back in the 20's in his uniform out in front of it.

It was also home to the circus. The south bridge over to Venice is called the "Circus Bridge". My mom said she can remember sitting on the edge of the road watching as the elephants, tigers, etc walked down the street when the circus came to town.
Yes, thank you. We went over the Circus Bridge a few times, now I know why it was named as such. It must have been neat watching the circus come to town! Imagine having those awesome beaches all your life .... so close by too.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Quilter, I feel like you do about those places. I don't want to criticize because as has been mentioned, everyone likes something different or we would all want to live in the same place!

We live up here in Whitfield, right between Sarasota and Bradenton and love all that the Sarasota/Bradenton area has to offer. Honestly, I could not live anywhere further south than Sarasota, in fact downtown Sarasota would probably be my cutoff (OK, maybe down to Bee Ridge Rd. ) We have access to so much great dining, shopping, organic foods, arts, events, not to mention fabulous BEACHES! I always laugh and say to my husband "other people save all year to come visit where we get to live!"

And as Shannon said, we don't really care much for the Atlantic at all. I am a sunset coast girl!

I don't feel like I can agree or disagree based on what Quilter mentioned. I don't think she got to see the best of the area. It seems based on her description, she was taken around to one of the tourist traps, that I agree is not the highlight of where I'd go. And, it seems like she spent a lot of time in the Port Charlotte side of Punta Gorda, and didn't see some of the better things the town has to offer.

It isn't near the beaches, that has always been mentioned. It is more for people that enjoy boating, but there are a lot of great things to do as well. I live in the Isles and it is quite upscale by comparision to some of the areas she/you viewed.

Unfortunately, based on her/your observation, I don't think you got to see the best of what the town can show you. And, if they did do a good job showing you what the town has to offer, and all the great history, parks, etc.... and it still isn't what you're looking for, I understand. It isn't for everyone, but I think PGI and definitely SWFL rocks all the same! I hope she/you find the piece of paradise you are looking for!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't feel like I can agree or disagree based on what Quilter mentioned. I don't think she got to see the best of the area. It seems based on her description, she was taken around to one of the tourist traps, that I agree is not the highlight of where I'd go. And, it seems like she spent a lot of time in the Port Charlotte side of Punta Gorda, and didn't see some of the better things the town has to offer.

It isn't near the beaches, that has always been mentioned. It is more for people that enjoy boating, but there are a lot of great things to do as well. I live in the Isles and it is quite upscale by comparision to some of the areas she/you viewed.

Unfortunately, based on her/your observation, I don't think you got to see the best of what the town can show you. And, if they did do a good job showing you what the town has to offer, and all the great history, parks, etc.... and it still isn't what you're looking for, I understand. It isn't for everyone, but I think PGI and definitely SWFL rocks all the same! I hope she/you find the piece of paradise you are looking for!

Yes, I spent more time on the PC side of the bridge, not knowing that it was Port Charlotte side. Was staying with a friend who has lived there for 10 years now; but her tastes are different than mine. She is a golfer and actually golfs at Sabal Trace, not in PGorda. She did mention there is a lot more to see, but my time was limited to 4 full days and I spent a full day looking at what I "thought" would be suitable. Went to PG Isles, lovely, but out of my price bracket. Frankly I don't "need" that much house anymore, downsizing at this point. Beach is important, and my entire feeling for the area expanded once we went to Venice beach and Ft Myers beach areas. So basically, if you live in the "middle", the price ranges are lower and that was what I wanted to feel comfy in, lower price range. It was well worthwhile and there are 2 condos that I will seriously consider. At least I know if the agent calls and says, "there is one here, or there, you should act upon", I can make an informed decision. I've traveled a lot all over the country, and PGorda city was not impressive. What can I say. I live in the south, in western NC mtns, where truly quaint cities abound with lots of history in their own right. Even though I've traveled on the east coast of FL, the PG area was a bit of culture shock that's all. I expected an older larger city. Sarasota Bradenton area may be more of what I expected. Certainly don't want to get anyone on the defense, different strokes for different folks as they say.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, I spent more time on the PC side of the bridge, not knowing that it was Port Charlotte side. Was staying with a friend who has lived there for 10 years now; but her tastes are different than mine. She is a golfer and actually golfs at Sabal Trace, not in PGorda. She did mention there is a lot more to see, but my time was limited to 4 full days and I spent a full day looking at what I "thought" would be suitable. Went to PG Isles, lovely, but out of my price bracket. Frankly I don't "need" that much house anymore, downsizing at this point. Beach is important, and my entire feeling for the area expanded once we went to Venice beach and Ft Myers beach areas. So basically, if you live in the "middle", the price ranges are lower and that was what I wanted to feel comfy in, lower price range. It was well worthwhile and there are 2 condos that I will seriously consider. At least I know if the agent calls and says, "there is one here, or there, you should act upon", I can make an informed decision. I've traveled a lot all over the country, and PGorda city was not impressive. What can I say. I live in the south, in western NC mtns, where truly quaint cities abound with lots of history in their own right. Even though I've traveled on the east coast of FL, the PG area was a bit of culture shock that's all. I expected an older larger city. Sarasota Bradenton area may be more of what I expected. Certainly don't want to get anyone on the defense, different strokes for different folks as they say.
People often say that I get defensive about the area when people don't post something postive about it. I think you made a fair accessment for what you want / expect, and what you saw. PGI isn't for everyone. I think the culture shock applies more to the PC side. PG is a small town, not a city. It has a lot of the characteristics that one finds in a small town including the politics. If you notice, you didn't find any chain restaurants, etc.... in Punta Gorda, they are all on the other side of the bridge on the Port Charlotte side. People on the north side of the bridge, have PG zip code as pcozad noted. Port Charlotte is really the beginning or North Port, which was originally considered North Port Charlotte. North Port is also the newer version. Punta Gorda is and always has been distinctly different. I kinda wish I could have given you a tour, and explained some thing, and showed you some things that are really unique and neat about the town - you didn't see.

I'm not selling you - I think based on what you are looking for, that PG, probably isn[t for you. I love Venice, and Sarasota, Anna Marie Island, Boca Grande, and many of the other small towns in SWFL - I'm sure you'll find something that is perfect for you, and closer to a beach as well.

I hope you do!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
People often say that I get defensive about the area when people don't post something postive about it. I think you made a fair accessment for what you want / expect, and what you saw. PGI isn't for everyone. I think the culture shock applies more to the PC side. PG is a small town, not a city. It has a lot of the characteristics that one finds in a small town including the politics. If you notice, you didn't find any chain restaurants, etc.... in Punta Gorda, they are all on the other side of the bridge on the Port Charlotte side. People on the north side of the bridge, have PG zip code as pcozad noted. Port Charlotte is really the beginning or North Port, which was originally considered North Port Charlotte. North Port is also the newer version. Punta Gorda is and always has been distinctly different. I kinda wish I could have given you a tour, and explained some thing, and showed you some things that are really unique and neat about the town - you didn't see.

I'm not selling you - I think based on what you are looking for, that PG, probably isn[t for you. I love Venice, and Sarasota, Anna Marie Island, Boca Grande, and many of the other small towns in SWFL - I'm sure you'll find something that is perfect for you, and closer to a beach as well.

I hope you do!
Yes, I recall saying to my agent that I'd rather be on the "other side of the bridge". Also I did find 2 condos that may be a good fit... one is furnished; not a selling point for me == sellers don't realize tha buyers who want to be permanent residents don't want their furnishings. I haven't ruled PG out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte