Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a week of property shopping for 2 BR condos in the 1200 sq. ft. range around Punta Gorda. Sorry to say, I was not impressed at all with that area. Flew into Ft. Myers, and coming over the bridge on 75 into PG, the area looked depressed, swampy; and around that 41/King's Hwy. corner with all the commercial look trash really turned me off. There is no beach at PG! and the harbor water is brackish and brown. Ate at Harpoon Harry's, impression was so so, gave the food a 6 out of 10. Fisherman's Village to me was just like many other gee gaw trinket shops, overpriced, ok to stroll.

Probably looked at 15 or 18 units, some in the King's Hwy. areas, complexes not looking well kept. I realize the area is in a drought, but they're calling "lakes" what I would call mud puddles on some of those. Newport condos I wouldn't even look at. The only nice ones I saw were Heritage Lakes (crazy high taxes), and Crystal Bay over at Lake Suzy (nice but unrealistic overpriced unit owners). Was told that PG is an "up and coming" "historic" area. Could not get that vibe at all. Downtown is sort of cute, but on a 1 to 10 of other cute, quaint towns in the south, I'd have to give it a minus 2. Went to gallery walk Thurs. night .... hardly anyone there and all the snowbirds have not left yet. The one pretty historic street going into PG Isles was very pretty. Burnt Store Meadows area, same downtrodden look as other areas. Not enough in PG to make me want to invest there. What did I miss?

Beaches at Venice, gorgeous; ate at Sharkey's yesterday, nice ambiance there. Wasn't impressed with Englewood area either, old, some pretty shabby areas off 775 and 776.

Went up to Sarasota Bradenton areas .... much more dense population, nicer looking properties; homeowners and complexes seem to take more pride up in that area, of course it's more $$ than PGorda, but nice shopping centers, clean streets, attractive and looks progressive. All sorts of arts and entertainment, cultural attractions there. Traffic around St. Armand's Circle at noon on Thursday was bumper to bumper which was fine, I was just observing, not shopping.

In a few weeks, I'm going to head over to Hobe Sound, take a look around there, see what there is to offer. There is a condo complex in Stuart (Estates of Stuart) that may have some good discounted units. Will check that out, and Sebastian, Vero areas.

Does anyone else have a better impression of PGorda? What about Ft. Myers? Saw a bit of Ft. Myers on the way to Sanibel, didn't have time to pursue neighborhoods but the general "feeling" there was better than in PG. Can't tell much from that road going by the Edison estate....but did wonder about Whiskey Creek area. There must be some nicer residential condo complexes in Ft. Myers ... as long as I can be 15 or 20 minutes from a nice beach, is fine.

Yes, I am fussy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Yes, I am fussy.
Fussy? You sound more like a snob to me[/quote]

Well, bless your heart.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
I think you nailed it.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Awww, why isn't she entitled to her opinion? We all don't like the same things and are not looking for the same thing. What a boring world it would be if we all lived in a yellow house and drove a blue car. To each their own!!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Awww, why isn't she entitled to her opinion? We all don't like the same things and are not looking for the same thing. What a boring world it would be if we all lived in a yellow house and drove a blue car. To each their own!!!!
Yep. That's why Bryer's makes chocolate and vanilla.

It is unfortunate that some folks shoot from the hip by being defensive and judgmental, while not having all the facts. I seem to recall asking if I missed anything, and asking for advice on other areas. It's a big world out there to some, and very small to others.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I agree! I think PG has a cute little downtown area but it wouldn't be my choice for a place to live. Although I do adore the little historical section. Unless you live on one of the canals and can boat to a beach it's a 45 minute drive. Some people are good with that, I'm not. Punta Gorda is more of a boater community.

I'd rather live in the historical section in downtown Sarasota. Cool homes, close to the beach but unfortunately a little out of my range right now. There are many people who hate older homes and love the brand new model-like homes.

Now on the Harpoon Harry's subject. The owner of Harpoon Harry's are the same as Laishley Crab House. If you missed my lovely rant about them you can search for the thread. IMO, it's a tourist trap with awful service and terrible food. People like both places because they're on the water. That's about all they have to offer, IMO.

Incidentally, the area you mentioned "Kings Hwy and 41" is actually in Port Charlotte. Close, to Punta Gorda but not in PG. If I remember right there's an old abandon gas station on one of the corners. It kind of makes it look trashy.

The Hobe Sound/Sebastian/Vero area is OK. It's great for surfers. My kids like it. Those waters are filled with sharks. It's actually the "Shark Capital of the World" with more shark bites there than anywhere in the world. If you go up in a plane you can see thousands of them swimming in the inlet in Sebastian. Of course, the chances of getting bit are slim to none.

I don't know, guess I'm just not a real big fan of the Atlantic water. IMO, the waters are cold and rough and just not that nice. I would, however, encourage you to go check things out and see what you think.

Not everyone likes the same things but it's great to investigate things and share your thoughts.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 AM

463 posts, read 866,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Fussy? You sound more like a snob to me
Well, bless your heart.[/quote]

Well, bless your heart.
Thats what my grandma used to say when I said something about something I knew nothing about. Its southern code for thats nice but you don't have a clue.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I agree! I think PG has a cute little downtown area but it wouldn't be my choice for a place to live. Although I do adore the little historical section. Unless you live on one of the canals and can boat to a beach it's a 45 minute drive. Some people are good with that, I'm not. Punta Gorda is more of a boater community.

I'd rather live in the historical section in downtown Sarasota. Cool homes, close to the beach but unfortunately a little out of my range right now. There are many people who hate older homes and love the brand new model-like homes.

Now on the Harpoon Harry's subject. The owner of Harpoon Harry's are the same as Laishley Crab House. If you missed my lovely rant about them you can search for the thread. IMO, it's a tourist trap with awful service and terrible food. People like both places because they're on the water. That's about all they have to offer, IMO.

Amen Shannon ... my friend actually suggested Laishley's and I said no way .. remembering your post. Evidently she didn't know about Harry's being same owner. We each had an overpriced chicken taco salad... yuck. Sharkey's was good though over in Venice beaches area.

Incidentally, the area you mentioned "Kings Hwy and 41" is actually in Port Charlotte. Close, to Punta Gorda but not in PG. If I remember right there's an old abandon gas station on one of the corners. It kind of makes it look trashy.

The Hobe Sound/Sebastian/Vero area is OK. It's great for surfers. My kids like it. Those waters are filled with sharks. It's actually the "Shark Capital of the World" with more shark bites there than anywhere in the world. If you go up in a plane you can see thousands of them swimming in the inlet in Sebastian. Of course, the chances of getting bit are slim to none.

I don't know, guess I'm just not a real big fan of the Atlantic water. IMO, the waters are cold and rough and just not that nice. I would, however, encourage you to go check things out and see what you think.

Hear you, I grew up in New England near the ocean, so Atlantic is fine. Can do without the sharks though. omg. My son in law's family has a condo in Stuart, Hutchison Island? right on the beach, and I fear for my grandkids in that water at times. But they love it there and just use the dad's place for free vacations. Can't blame 'em.

Not everyone likes the same things but it's great to investigate things and share your thoughts.
It is very affordable though over in Charlotte County I believe; the taxes are decent (everything goes up anywhere though); and there is a lot more obviously that I didn't see for one reason or another. At least I got a good overview of the area, that way if a good deal pops up I will have a perspective. I did corporate relocation work for several years, and always felt bad for the clients who come into an area "blindly" and have like one week to choose a house. Very tricky.

You give great information Shannon ! understandable why you are so successful.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Incidentally, the area you mentioned "Kings Hwy and 41" is actually in Port Charlotte. Close, to Punta Gorda but not in

That part of Port Charlotte has a Port Charlotte adress and a Punta Gorda Zip code.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 AM

ate at Sharkey's yesterday

Alot of people don't know that Sharkey's is owned by the same guys who own Joe Crackers in Port Charlotte.
Home - Joe Cracker Port Charlotte, Fl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte