U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,575,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMCHAFF6 View Post
i HAVE A SIMLIAR PROBLEM, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN SARASOTA BUT DUE TO A SEPERATION I HAVE TO MOVE TO NORTH PORT BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER, ALL 3 OF MY KIDS ATTEND SARASOTA SCHOOLS RIVERVIEW AND GULF GATE I WOULD NEVER PUT MY KIDS IN NORTH PORT SCHOOLS .... I NEED TO FIND TRANSPORTATION FROM SCHOOL TO HOME IN NORTH PORT ANY IDEAS PLS HELP!!! THANKS KIM
Typing in all CAPS=yelling. You might get a better response to your question by starting a new thread and naming it accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 36,996 times
Ok ladybug hello from another Hoosier. Anyway Ive lived in all the areas you have described with kids. If the drive isnt terrible Rotonda West is the best, if you can find the rental rate your looking for. Not in the edge ie boundry blvd area but in the Rotonda West neighborhoods proper. I think youll need 800 t 1000 month for that. Second, is Port Charlotte. Lots of good neighborhoods and decent schools and last North Port. North Port is good dont get me wrong but be picky about where you live. Its really mixed together with retired and young. Most areas however are fine. I have two going go Lamarque Elem. right now and besides it being big is a good school. The schools ar what you make of them. I pays to be alert and on top of things here as in my experience anyway Ive found once the school has discovered you will call at the drop of a hat and ask lots of questions the problems tend to iron themselves out.

Good Luck, its a new world here compared to Indiana. You should enjoy it.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,124 times
We moved to North Port in Dec, 2012. We are seniors, so perhaps we are not street smart enough to notice any crime, but we are out and about a lot and have not seen anything alarming. We live between Price and US41 and are outside in the pool area until fairly late at night and do not hear very many police sirens, as we heard when we were staying in the Sarasota/Bradenton area before we moved here. We found he cost of living quite a bit lower here in North Port, and so far, we love our new home here.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,079 times
I too am moving to the area from Indiana. I plan to buy a house in the Engelwood area which is south of Venice and rent it till I retire in 3 years. I have vacationed there for many years and my brother lives there so I have some connections in the area. My nephew and neice go to Lemon Bay high school and La anginer Middle School which thier parents like very much. My brother is renting in Port Charolette and pays $800 for a 3 bedroom with a pool which I think is a really good deal and may not be representative

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,955,260 times
Well we just moved here and rented a house in NP - and we are zoned for Sarasota County Schools and my sons will go to Cranberry Elementary which has good ratings and and when I visited it I had a very good feeling - I hope I am right -

Our neighborhood is beautiful and quiet and I walk my dog alone with no problem. I am always aware of my surroundings and am careful but you have to be like that no matter where you live.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM

137 posts, read 270,265 times
We moved to North Port a little over 2 years ago from Bradenton and really like it. It's kinda like living in the country, surrounded by nature, but with a Publix shopping center less than 5 minutes away and all the stores about 10 minutes away on 41. So it's not like country country out in Myakka where you've got a 40 minute drive to go grocery shopping. North Port is a relatively young city, founded in 1959 but remained a sleepy bedroom community up until about a decade ago when the real estate boom caused prices in Sarasota to get out of reach for many first time home buyers....who found that they could buy a new 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage home on a large lot for the same price as a 2 bed 1 bath 1950's fixer upper in Sarasota. This attracted a lot of young families which is why out of nearly 60,000 residents, about 10,000 are school age children. So North Port built new schools to accomodate that growth. Cranberry is a highly rated school and we are part of the Sarasota County school district. Because we were at the epicenter of the housing bubble, we also got hit much harder than other cities such as Venice and Sarasota which are older cities and have many mature and established neighborhoods which helped them weather the housing bust much better than North Port.
Last month North Port home prices were over 27% higher than the previous year. I just posted, on my blog, a new report showing NP home prices for May at 25% higher than May of 2012. So our price appreciation is nearly double that of Sarasota which is at 12.6% and Venice at 13.2%. Prices actually declined in Englewood. 2 years ago NP was foreclosure city and things were not looking so great but right now we are leading the recovery so things are looking much better for NP. We are still a tremendous value over Sarasota with a median price of $125K versus $220 for Sarasota and $208K for Venice.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,362,413 times
right now we are leading the recovery so things are looking much better for NP. We are still a tremendous value over Sarasota with a median price of $125K versus $220 for Sarasota and $208K for Venice.[/quote]

I wonder if the appreciation is similar to Riverside, CA, which is appreciating faster than Malibu? The demand is being driven by Blackstone Capital, and other "big money" firms who are soaking up hundreds of tbousands of lower-priced, foreclosed single family homes and turning them into rentals. When their portfolio is full, they'll quit buying, and prices will go back to flat/down. Their buying doesn't affect Malibu or Sarasota.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,046 times
Lemme tell you this.... DON'T BRING YOUR KIDS TO FLORIDA! My child is dead & FIVE... yes FIVE of said child's close friends... from SAME GRADUATING CLASS are dead from some kinda drug involvement.
Granted my child committed suicide, but many of said child's friends were involved in drugs & died in various related incidents around the same time... Over a 4 month period.
The friends that were affected by the sheer number of deaths of all those boys have, themselves struggled with SIGNIFICANT problems. Four of my child's closest friends have been in and outta jail for drugs... anger issues... U name it.
I'm from the Midwest... And l me tell you this: There is not 1 single minute that goes by that I don't regret moving here. Not one.

The high school is great as long as your kid 'fits in'. I have a younger kid who has a VERY MILD form of aspergers & said child was bullied & harassed like you cannot imagine... And 'said child' was always very good looking, got excellent grades... but wasn't a 'preppy'... in fact said child is now working part time as a fashion magazine model & is now in med school. ... thanks to many years of counseling. If your kids aren't jocks or preps even the school doesn't care. Believe me... I'm not just saying this... It's 100% FACT. Sad but true.

It's the drugs... the bullying & the drug related/noon related crimes... not to mention the fact that there have been so many foreclosures...u can find a Crack/Meth/Grow house damn near everywhere.

And don't lemme get started with police... Granted there are some good... even GREAT cops here... But Florida as a whole... Well..just Google this: 'Florida Excessive Force'.
Rumor has it that there is a SUBSTANTIAL number of cops on steroids. Once you've seen a blue hair 'taken down' for jaywalking you'll agree.

Here's an example: my 'said child' had emergency surgery a few days after Christmas... In fact it was my birthday. Now at the time I had 2 vehicles but one was being sold so obviously I wouldn't have renewed my plates... Came home from hospital after having been there 47 hours straight... Took shower, ate real food then planned to head back to Tampa early the next morning....(not a pleasant drive btw)... In the middle of the night the doc called me to tell me my 'child' had gone into respiratory arrest & had been moved to ICU... in a typical parent panic I jumped into my minivan.... Only to be faced with the realization that it wouldn't start...so without even thinking I jumped into my other, expired-plate car & took off...
I got 1 block from hospital & was pulled over for expired tag... .. I started explaining...slowly & carefully what was going on...child in ICU, etc... next thing I know they're accusing me of just having fled an ARMED ROBBERY (I've never even been arrested let alone involved in a robbery)... & they ARRESTED ME! While in that awful place I pleaded with them to let me call hospital... they didn't give a sh*t... and after 9 hours of interrogation HELL they simply sent some detective in who told the other cop that I was 'not involved so let them go'... No apology, no remorse just a 'go f*ck yourself' look... I'm telling you this scared the living hell outta me... in fact i still cannot even begin to describe that horror... The worst part... I was DENIED the use of phone the entire time.

Yeah.... I'm begging you to rethink this move... it's the single worst decision I've ever made... EVER.....

Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,575,271 times
^^^ sounds like this new poster lived in the Dunbar area of Ft Myers!! Certainly not PG, PC, NP which is what this section of city data represents. Yeah, don't bring your family to FLORIDA, because the entire state is exactly as described above. What ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte