U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 33,350 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently been offered a transfer with his job to the Sarasota, Port Charlotte, Venice area. We are in our mid-30's with 3 teenage children, ages 16, 15, and 13. There is another couple from our area that is also transferring and they have decided on the North Port area.
We are going to have to settle on a rental house for the time being, sight unseen, but we know nothing about the area, so anything that anyone could tell us would be appreciated.

We are trying to get the most house for our money, right now we are paying about $700 a month for our house, but could afford a little more depending on what the price of utilities, gas, and food run down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 12,270 times
Contrary to what a prolific poster who happens to be a realtor will say, BEWARE of North Port. The economy and foreclosures have decimated the tax base. Homes are so cheap that they cannot be given away, and for good reason. This combination has attracted "affordable housing" residents and the devastating crime that comes with them. Your children are at an age where their peers are more important than ever. The above mentioned realtor doesnt even send her kids to school in North Port! You would do much better in Venice or Sarasota. There is a terrible drug problem in South West Florida involving prescription narcotics. Many High School children are abusing them, and they are sold on the streets. If you have any street sense whatsoever, take a drive through town and see what I mean. And now listen to my detractors........

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM

10,854 posts, read 15,154,801 times
Default North Port ?

Do you have any current newspaper articles or crime reports to confirm the situation there? Or should a potential resident check with the police department? which is usually advisable no matter where you are relocating to.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,944,762 times
I'm assuming the above poster is referring to me Yes, I do live in North Port and no I don't send my kids to the local schools. If you've been following my postings I homeschool my younger two and my oldest just graduated from Pine View. I actually moved from Port Charlotte to North Port specifically for my kids to attend Pine View School (you must live in Sarasota county). Since we were a young couple just starting out we couldn't afford the prices in Sarasota. It seems like you've been following my posts so you have probably heard me say that I did send my kids to Toledo Blade Elementary in North Port but it was awful so I withdrew them. I have many friends who send their kids to Cranberry Elementary in North Port and love it, in fact it's one of the highest rated schools in Sarasota county. I've also heard decent things about Woodland Middle here in North Port although I don't have any first hand experience.

I would suggest looking at $700 might get you in North Port and comparing that with what you might get in Sarasota for $700. I think you're going to find MUCH more available in North Port than Sarasota in your range. You might be able to afford a smaller apartment in Sarasota and in North Port you could afford a decent size, newer home.

Would I rather live in Sarasota? Sure. I love to live in the Southside Village area to be exact. Can I afford a home there right now? Nope.

I'm just fine with my home in North Port right now. My neighbors are great. We have a mix of older retirees and young families. It works out just fine for us.

You might also want to investigate south Venice. The average age in Venice is 68 but south Venice tends to be a little younger. Also the schools are pretty good, for the most part in Venice.

You can go here to check crime stats: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If I remember right Sarasota's crime stats are much higher than North Port if you're comparing apples to apples. Do some research and see for yourself. I didn't do much searching. I just typed in Sarasota crime stats. Here's just one website: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Sarasota-Florida/ Sarasota violent crime 1.03% and property crime 6.56% compared with North Port on the same website: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/No...ommunity-info/ North Port violent crime 0.35% and property crime 2.78%. There's always been more crime in Sarasota then North Port.

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

That all sounds great, except without knowing anything about the area, I have no idea which areas are actually South Venice. I have noticed that North Port seems to be a lot more affordable than Sarasota, but I keep reading conflicting posts about the crime rate in North Port. I do not want to put my children in a bad area.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,201,111 times
Hi LadyBug, welcome to the forum.. I'm also from IN but we have been here 4 years now. This is totally my personal opinion but I would highly recommend looking in Sarsota in the Riverview HS district. Most homes/rentals would be east of I-75 & more affordable than west of I-75. I really like it out east as is reminds me of home Riverview is a good HS & with the age your kids are, Sarasota will have much more for them to do. However, I will plead ignorance on what rentals are going for in Sarasota. I think SFG has some good advice as far as what you can get. With it being "off season", rental rates should be lower right now.

Just my 2 cents.. good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,944,762 times
Here's the website for the south Venice area: South Venice Beach It tells all about it and gives you a map of the specific area. I went to the Venice schools and they were pretty good. My kids did as well. I think gettingouttajerseys kids go to Venice and he's pretty happy with the schools. So, he can probably give you some current info.

I've heard decent things about Woodland Middle in North Port. North Port High, however, isn't rated that high by the state.

You can go here: School Accountability Report ... to see how the state ranks the schools and here: www.greatschools.com to get more opinions on the schools.

Agreed with Pix on the recommendation. The problem is the rental rate. I'm being up front with you and letting you know what the options are. Riverview is an awesome school I just doubt you'll get anything in your range in that district.

Since I don't do rentals I wanted to verify my info. I just did a search in the MLS for Riverview school district and came up with nothing under $700. The leaset expensive 3/2 in Riverview district is $1185 in Serenade in Palmer Ranch. There are few 1/1's for $750-$900 but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-23-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM

What about the Port Charlotte area?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,201,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Agreed with Pix on the recommendation. The problem is the rental rate. I'm being up front with you and letting you know what the options are. Riverview is an awesome school I just doubt you'll get anything in your range in that district.

Since I don't do rentals I wanted to verify my info. I just did a search in the MLS for Riverview school district and came up with nothing under $700. The leaset expensive 3/2 in Riverview district is $1185 in Serenade in Palmer Ranch. There are few 1/1's for $750-$900 but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.
So glad I plead ignorance on that one ahead of time...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM

No, that wouldn't work...LOL. But thank you for checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte