U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 PM

5,270 posts, read 4,557,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Condos may have rules as where you can install a dish but they can not prohibit a sat dish. Were ever you install it, it must face south, southwest.
A friend in a different subdivision told me some folks have them on their lanai. Not my cup of tea ... but I'll check with the residents and the HOA once I get moved in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
I live in Port Charlotte also, had Comcast for 7 years and can't Stand them!!! There cable tv sucks, always goes out, freezes up, there new changes to the digital boxes are totally annoying and there prices are outrages!
Now there internet service is pretty good haven't had problems with that but again it is costly.

I just signed up with Direct tv and I'm already saving $90 a month just for tv service.... I'm looking into switching my internet service with Century link... to save money. Century link has a home phone and internet bundle for $54.95... I basically pay that for the phone and internet each... so why not combine both into 1 for the same price?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM

32 posts, read 33,892 times
Hello All,
I am located in North Port off Sumter, I just looked into internet service and found comcast and verizon are the 2 for my area. Both are around $35 for the first 6 mths. My neighbor lets me use there wifi but my signal is weak. I thought about getting an antenna to repeat there signal and pay half of there bill. I have Directv, and a cell phone (Att) and am a snowbird so add that to the mix. Any other suggestions on the best way to get internet service?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM

94 posts, read 60,150 times
I have Direct TV, only because I wanted the NFL channel. I can tell you everytime the wind blows or we have a rain storm my satelite goes off. we are renting in Gulf Cove, we missed the entire third quarter and part of the 4th quarter yesterday during the 1 pm games.

I agree I probably watch a total of 15 channels of the 100s available- I really don't want to see/watch what is on most of those channels.

Really wish we could go back to free TV and use the bunny ears or the antenna on the roof. LOL

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM

716 posts, read 414,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlady View Post

Really wish we could go back to free TV and use the bunny ears or the antenna on the roof. LOL
You can! My dad bought a house down here but only uses it maybe one week a year so he didn't want cable. I installed an antenna in the attic (hooked it to the old cable lines) and he gets about 20 channels from Ft. Myers to Sarasota in every room. Best part is they are almost all in HD. Any newer TV can do this without additional boxes or equipment...just the antenna is needed, and I built his with a 2x4 and some coat hangers....not kidding, for $2 it works better than store bought antennas. You can find the plans on google.

I have Comcast. Every year I call up and threaten to cancel if they don't give me the "special". I have phone/internet and HD/DVR with all premium channels for about $150. Dish can't touch that, and DSL/Centurylink internet is slow and unreliable unless you happen to live right next to the phone company's switching station.

I need rock solid fast internet so I'm sticking with Comcast.

Last edited by HarborRat; 09-17-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM

716 posts, read 414,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstudent299 View Post
Hello All,
I am located in North Port off Sumter, I just looked into internet service and found comcast and verizon are the 2 for my area. Both are around $35 for the first 6 mths. My neighbor lets me use there wifi but my signal is weak. I thought about getting an antenna to repeat there signal and pay half of there bill. I have Directv, and a cell phone (Att) and am a snowbird so add that to the mix. Any other suggestions on the best way to get internet service?
You want to get a wifi repeater and install it in your neighbors house in a location nearest your house. You may be able to install it in your house instead, it depends.

My friend was in the same position as you. I had an old Linksys router lying around that I converted to a repeater by flashing the firmware with a free firmware called DD-WRT. Installed it in his house nearest the source and it boosted the signal to 100% everywhere in the house.

If I was a snowbird I would get a dish for TV in my main house with all the boxes etc. In the house down here I'd just install a dish on the roof but wouldn't pay for service. When I came down for the winter I'd bring the boxes with me, they'd still work down here just fine and I'd still get my local stations from 'up there'.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM

876 posts, read 460,527 times
I had comcast and internet. I thought
It was a bit pricey to i tried direct tv and had to bindle centurylink for internet and get s land mine that i didnt want I didnt like the direct tv service and with the phone seened evry afternoon i was getting call from some local school that due to the weather children were not allowd to walk bome and would have to be picked up. Then i tried dish network and the service is terrible many tome i have complete signall loss then it isnt even cloudy when it rain it seems to always go out. Ill be goijng back to comcast soon id rather have one montly bill and i liked. Om sst youtube feature

Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,661,943 times
centurylink/embarq will let you have internet on a 'vacation' service. you liven it when you are here and then pay about 8 bucks a month when away.

i wouldnt use comcast if they were the only provider on earth

Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM

573 posts, read 507,732 times
DirecTV here. Lose it when the heavy rains hit. CenturyLink for DSL. We're 3 miles from the CO and it sucks! 512kb download speed and when it thunders, it goes out. Don't pay that much for internet but it sucks none the less. Had Comcast up north, never again. They keep raising their prices till you say enough. Give it free for a few months and then bang! Up it goes again.
Unless I really need high speed internet, we'll stay with what we have. Other options are comcast (shiver) and I think CenturyLink offers some cable internet too but not in the market at this time.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 354 times
Will be a snowbird in Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte and need to find decide on best HDTV option. Recently switched from cable to Directv in KY and love it. Is Century Link still the only option and do any (cable, dish or satellite) offer 6 months or less (would prefer no contract, as I plan to be seasonal)?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte