U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 50,938 times

Advertisements

My house in Westchester, NY is on the market and I plan to move to the Gulf Coast once it sells - soon I hope. I don't know the area at all, my sister recommended Port Charlotte but I am also looking at Rotonda West, Punta Gorda and all other areas around. Can anyone give me some input on the different areas....good and bad points! I am 62, I guess retired as the job market is so hideous! I am looking for a house in the $250K range, with a bit of a garden that is either fenced or can be fenced as I have a cat and small dog.
Many thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM

3,961 posts, read 8,475,969 times
Are you looking to pay homeowner association fees in a deed restricted neighborhood or do you want to live in a non-deed restricted area with no fees? Many of the deed restricted communities do not allow fences. Are there other amenities that you might be looking for - pool, tennis, golf, fitness center, medical facilities, library, etc.? You could definitely find a nice home in the $250k price range in the following areas.

Rotonda West is a deed restricted community with small annual HOA fees. The fees vary by location within Rotonda. Rotonda is shaped like a wagon wheel. There are golf courses within the development but no community amenities such as a pool or rec facility. The community is far away from a mall or main shopping but within a few miles of the beach, banks, grocery store and gas stations.
Here is the web site that explains all about Rotonda West - http://www.rotondawest.org/
You can also read their deed restrictions.

Port Charlotte - There are many regular neighborhoods and deed restricted communities in Port Charlotte. Port Charlotte has a mall and almost any kind of shopping you would like. It also has restaurants, medical facilities, golfing, boating, fishing, and community parks. It is about 35 minutes to the nearest Gulf beach. It is located south of Sarasota and North of Ft Myers.

Punta Gorda Punta Gorda is an historic fishing village community and has one of the largest harbors in the U.S. The main part of Punta Gorda is called Punta Gorda Isles which are homes with intersecting canals. Punta Gorda also has some great parks where events are held on a regular basis. You can walk the downtown area and find shopping, art galleries, marinas and parks. Boaters and fishers love the area. Here is the City of Punta Gorda web site - http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/. Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce - http://puntagordachamber.com/

Charlotte County Government - http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/
Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce - http://www.charlottecountychamber.org/

Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM

686 posts, read 1,405,243 times
Sib, if you search the forum you will find a wealth of information. Specifically look for SoFlaGal and TamRE posts. They are both very informative as well as many others here. If you let us know what you're looking for you may get some more answers. 250K will get you a good sized, newer house. Do you want a pool, waterfront (fresh or tidal), size, garage (1 or 2 car), HOA, etc.
Oh, and keep your cat and small dog close by. There are lots of critters down here that can be hazardous to their well being.
Rotunda has a lot of alligators in the fresh canals. I'm in Pt Charlotte and we love it here. However you need to be sure of where you are looking as some areas are a bit iffy, if you know what I mean. Punta Gorda has some pockets too.
It may be best to pack up your house once it sells, put it in storage and come on down and rent. It took us 2 years (remotely) to find a place we liked and could afford.
If you're not worried about employment, the better. Although you can find something to keep you busy, but you won't get rich.
But! I'm going to jump in the pool in about 15 minutes. Can't beat it!!!! But you do need a pool heater for this time of year.
Best of luck!!!!

Last edited by daFrogMan; 02-27-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Bit iffy statement revise

Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM

686 posts, read 1,405,243 times
Tammy, you beat me to it!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Thanks

Great info, thanks everyone. I do think the idea of renting is a good one and will give me a chance to look around. I must have a fenced garden for the cat. I would like 3 beds, around 2000 sq ft, water view would be great, pool also if possible. A great kitchen would be a big plus! I have no opinion really about deed restrictions, and a small HOA fee would be fine - a like the idea of a 55+ community, but I guess I will know it when I see it! My dog loves the beach so Rotonda West would be good for that.
Again, many thanks for the input.
Gini

Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Here are some 55+ communities in Charlotte County. Come for a visit and check out the neighborhoods.

Kings Gate - The Kings Gate community offers adult resort living, at a reasonable price. Located in Southwest Florida, Kings Gate is a gated community, for seniors age 55 and over. Kings Gate is conveniently located one mile west of I-75 on Kings Highway, and within easy distance of medical facilities, and shopping. It features the largest heated pool and spa in Charlotte County, and a state-of-the-art community recreation center. Kings Gate is a pet friendly environment with accessible veterinary services. Residents are close to restaurants, swimming, fishing, boating, and beaches, and within a short distance of airports and other services. Because Kings Gate is maintenance-free, the Kings Gate residents have plenty of time to pursue hobbies, exercise, work out, shop, eat and play golf.

The Kings Gate community recreation center offers golf leagues, billiards, softball, bridge, dancing, water aerobics, fitness classes, yoga, a fishing club, a bocce court, library, craft room, lawn bowling, lighted clay tennis courts, a pro shop and an 18-hole executive golf course. Get to know your neighbors at any one of the many scheduled events including community barbeques, potluck dinners, ice cream socials and holiday parties. Leave the car at home and motor around the grounds on your golf cart. Kings Gate is a casual, neighborly place to live! Relax and play in the warm Florida climate and enjoy the benefits of adult resort-style living. It’s all here!

There are many home choices in Kings Gate and all homes have public sewer and water, and underground utilities. From the moment you drive through the gate of this well-planned community, you will feel as if you have just arrived at a five-star Florida resort. Homes start at 1,300 square feet, with many layouts and choices. Choose a two bedroom, two bath home with a den and a three car garage or a 2,000 square foot home with three bedrooms, two baths and a two car garage.

Seminole Lakes - Seminole Lakes is just south of Punta Gorda on US 41, near to I-75, and only fifteen minutes north of Fort Myers. At
Seminole Lakes you can enjoy resort-like amenities, the privacy of a gated community and the conveniences of nearby Punta Gorda, with shopping, medical services and the finest in Florida cuisine. Seminole Lakes is set among rippling lakes and offers the finest in golf community life with a two million dollar club house, remodeled Har-Tru clay and hard surface tennis courts, a large, sparkling Olympic sized pool, a fitness center and a secured, manned gate.

From the moment you lay eyes on the Seminole Lakes community, you will love the setting. The challenging 18-hole executive golf course offers affordable greens fees and includes eight lakes and is home to some of Florida’s most beautiful birds and wildlife. Tree-lined streets are dotted with street lamps and gorgeous, upscale homes. Residents linger at the poolside Tiki Bar and Restaurant visiting with friends and neighbors. Money Magazinenamed Punta Gorda and the surrounding area one of the best place to live in America.

At Seminole Lakes, you will enjoy a maintenance-free environment, with central water and sewer, underground utilities, wide sidewalks and street lights.
Maintenance fees are very affordable. Reliable Homes Inc., a premier Florida builder, was the sole developer and builder for this deed restricted community. Most home sites overlook the golf course or one of the many lakes. Each site is beautifully positioned in harmony with its natural surroundings.

You can find stunning, resale courtyard homes on the golf course and single-family three bedroom, two bath homes, approximately 1,900 square feet in size. Many homes have large, screened lanais and floor tile in wet areas. If you are looking for grand, resort-style living in a premier golfing community, you won’t find anything more affordable or more convenient than Seminole Lakes.

Rio Villa Lakes - Rio Villa Lakes is a single-family 55+ private-gated community ideally located within two miles of I-75 in the heart of Punta Gorda, Florida. The community includes 93 home-sites, 59 of which are lakefront. Rio Villa Lakes is a deed restricted community that features a wonderfully designed gated entry with a falling water feature and exquisite landscaping; a seven acre lake with fountain; a perimeter fence; lush tropical landscaping and a community center that serves as the focal point for this lifestyle community.

Rio Villa Lakes is a gated community. An inviting community center with a heated pool, tennis court and clubhouse with a fitness center, great room, kitchen, and lounge area serves as the focal point for this 55+ lifestyle community.

The Rio Villa Lakes community is located in the heart of Punta Gorda, Florida. The city of Punta Gorda lies between Ft. Myers and Sarasota, Florida.
Rio Villa Lakes is 1/4 mile west of US 41, and 2 miles from I 75. It is conveniently located within minutes of the historic waterfront district including Fisherman’s Village with its special boutiques, entertainment and restaurants.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 AM

3,575 posts, read 5,803,694 times
Rotonda would suit you real fine. inside the circle is much more populated but it is still nice and peaceful. you see lots of fences and people with small dogs.

we live outside the circle in one of the sub divisions. much quieter -lots of dogs inc a few bigger ones, great walking, tons of wildlife and you will get a lot of house for that money. IMO with cats and dogs -keep away from water.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 AM

3,575 posts, read 5,803,694 times
one thing - you may want to keep your cat indoors or inside the screen, we get some big birds around looking for lunch

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Default Cat and Dog

Thanks Mr&Mrs Sunshine, a couple of people have warned against being by water with the dog and cat, so I guess the cat will have to learn to live in the lanai! I hadn't even contemplated birds!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Here is a link to the Charlotte County Economic Development http://www.floridasinnovationcoast.c...graphics.shtml

Click the image below to see the age and population demographics of Charlotte County
Moving to Florida-charlotte-county-population-statistics.jpg

Charlotte County Median Age = 55
North Port Median Age = 39
Venice Median Age = 66
Sarasota Median Age = 42
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte