Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times

Advertisements

thats good to hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Look into freedom boat club also I don't know any policies have no connection.
One thing to coincider also is the cost if you stored the cost if you had to lay to store the boat if it was your own at a marina

Last edited by MikeM8560; 03-23-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
I've never heard of a towing company putting the passengers in the tow vessel. The recreational boat is much more comfortable than the tow boat anyway, plus when it comes time for docking, the broken-down boat will need hands on board for maneuvering.
We have boat insurance through BoatUS, and have for many years (I've shopped around, and can't find better coverage for the price), so we get their unlimited towing for an extra $119/yr

Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
I have always had Sea Tow up North, but went with Boat US down here. I called the local tow boat captains personally and felt most comfortable with Boat US and his home port location. You can't go wrong with either, never heard of any problems.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 41,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
Look into freedom boat club also I don't know any policies have no connection.
One thing to coincider also is the cost if you stored the cost if you had to lay to store the boat if it was your own at a marina
Freedom Boat Club is also on our radar, but we are reconsidering the whole boat club thing after what HarborRat said.

Of course we aren't doing anything here in the desert! We will be there soon enough...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM

I moved here in 04 from NE and have my 7th boat trying to find what I used the best here as opposed to the types of boats I had up north
So depending if you buy a canal home or off the water a boat club would be a good way to try the differnt styles of boat before you buy

Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Last night my wife and I boated around to Ponce De Leon Park, and up the waterway to another friends house for appetizers and cocktails, and headed home at dusk. On our way back we went up another canal route and out of the canals on the North Side - that way we were only a couple canal entrances away from Bass Inlet / Fisherman's Village where we go in to get home.

Had a great time. More visits to other friends are planned.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM

260 posts, read 563,039 times
I am a new member of Destination, so I might be a bit biased. Here are my thoughts on boat club membership and Destination Boat Clubs.

Owning a boat is an expensive proposition, I have owned several in my life. When you look at the cost of insuring, maintaining, and storing a vessel, you realize what a good value a boat club is.

The upside of owning a boat, is that you have a little more freedom, when it comes to the usage, and times that you can use the boat.

The upside to a boat club, is that you have more time to actually use the boat, because you aren't washing it, refueling it, painting the bottom, servicing the engine and so fourth.

As far as the club goes itself, I can't say enough good things about the staff. They take very good of their customers, as well as their boats. Rick and Courtney in Punta Gorda, have done an outstanding job of making sure that we had the best experience possible. Dave and his staff at Sanibel, also deserve major kudos as well. The atmosphere at the resorts, is exceptional as well.

One other positive that I forgot to mention is flexibility. If you want to go fishing one day, you can take out a fishing boat. If you want to take out 10 of your closest friends you can take a pontoon boat, and if you want to go waterskiing, you can take out a ski boat. If you ever decide you want to actually own a boat, having access to all these types on a regular basis, will help you determine, which one best suits your needs.

It's been a very positive experience so far..

Last edited by DennisDaMenace; 04-04-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
oh and while I think....i heard a story a while ago not sure if its true of BS....If your boat breaks down and you call seatow they 'offer' you the comfort of their boat while they tow yours. the minute you leave your boat its 'abandoned' and they claim it as salvage and its all legal.

would love to know if its true or not............
Urban legend... I have had Sea Tow for years as well. Your Story is a false rumor.. a Total mis-understanding of maritime law..happens a lot..
Lots of things are misunderstood about being on the water.. BTW.. The USCG can board your boat at ANY given time for any reason and they do NOT have to give a reason.. Thats been the law since the late 1700's and has never been changed.
Harbor Rat: You mean to tell me you bought and sold, a boat, every 7.8 weeks for 3 years?? When did you sleep hahaha.. I too looked everywhere for a good deal and I feel I found one in my 98 Seaswirl 2300 W/A. I have seen them out there for a whole lot more than I paid but I sure wouldnt want all the bother of doing it every 7 to 8 weeks..

Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM

im on my 9th boat after 10 years here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte