U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 16,446 times
Default Destination Boat Clubs - Punta Gorda

Does anybody have any experience with Destination Boat Clubs out of Punta Gorda? Reason why I ask is that they are having a Groupon for the next couple of days and we were thinking this would be a great way to experience some different boats for a whole lot less than buying one.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM

94 posts, read 54,627 times
It my be over now, but after your post we did a little investigation. you can do a whole year for 999. so I am not sure how much of a deal it is.

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlady View Post
It my be over now, but after your post we did a little investigation. you can do a whole year for 999. so I am not sure how much of a deal it is.
Yeah, it is $999 for a year plus a monthly fee that starts at $129. Oh, they also charge you for a personal Sea Tow membership, but there are no other fees except for gas.

After I posted this I found out they only have 3 boats at the PG location. Apparently the Cape Coral location has 8, but with the Groupon, you have to pick either location and can't move around (unlike a 'real' membership with them).

As of this writing, there is just under 2 hours left, but I think we will pass. Gonna wait until we get there and further explore our options. But, we are very intrigued with the boat club idea as it seems to be a great way to not only get boating experience, but to also try out a wide selection of boat times without committing to buying one.

Thanks for the reply!

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM

630 posts, read 336,960 times
Give it a shot for a year, you don't have much to lose. But I think you will decide on your own that owning your own boat is something you can't put a price on. Coming and going when you please, staying out late on a whim, getting it bloody with fish guts and not have to answer to anyone....

The monthly fee alone will pay my boat's gas bill for the month 'almost'. The yearly fee with extras is approaching a decent used boat.

When I moved here 3 years ago I bought a little jon boat for $500 just to explore the canals, since then I've had 20 different boats...some big, some small in no particular order. I learned what I liked and didn't like on every one, better than the "choice of 3", and best of all I sold all of them at a profit when I was tired with them.

If it came down to it, i'd chose that first little jon boat over a rental package any day.

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Give it a shot for a year, you don't have much to lose.
Thanks for the GREAT advice! Agreed that there isn't much to lose and if the right boat club is chosen, then one would have a good selection of boats to use without any obligation except money spent. However, like you said, there is something to be said for owning a boat and having zero restrictions on its use.

If we could do like you did, and make a profit (or at least break even) on boats that we purchased and then sold, that seems like the way to go. How did you manage that? Bought at a great price from someone desperate to sell and then took your time to find the right buyer when it was your turn to sell?

One thing is most likely set in stone - our first boat will be a kayak (or two), or something along those lines. Human powered, affordable, and great for exploring the harbor coastline.

Last edited by ClearBlueH2O; 03-22-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM

630 posts, read 336,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearBlueH2O View Post

How did you manage that? Bought at a great price from someone desperate to sell and then took your time to find the right buyer when it was your turn to sell?
Exactly. It's just like buying a house. You make your money when you buy, not sell. Just have to keep refreshing craigslist until you see something you like at a steal. The good deals are gone within the hour. It helps if you can do your own maintenance and repair work too of course!

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,463,191 times
didnt someone have an issue with a boat club a while ago ???

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,463,191 times
oh and while I think....i heard a story a while ago not sure if its true of BS....If your boat breaks down and you call seatow they 'offer' you the comfort of their boat while they tow yours. the minute you leave your boat its 'abandoned' and they claim it as salvage and its all legal.

would love to know if its true or not............

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
If your boat breaks down and you call seatow they 'offer' you the comfort of their boat while they tow yours. the minute you leave your boat its 'abandoned' and they claim it as salvage and its all legal.
Kind of hard to imagine that they would do this and still be in business. In today's world of social media and the Internet, a company trying to pull this kind of BS stunt would be called out in no time. This would fit the definition of a poor business decision.

Unread 03-23-2012, 03:57 AM

985 posts, read 642,734 times
I've been a Sea Tow member since moving here and used them twice on my first boat. They had us stay in our boat during both tows; one a three hour tour! They were professional, courteous and there were no fees whatsoever. Had we not been members ($149) the tow from BGP would have cost $900!

We're believers in Sea Tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte