Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,670 times

Advertisements

I just learned your dad in law was the gentleman that was hit by the creep that was drunk on 41 last Thursday. Your family is in our thoughts and we wish you the best on getting through this trying time. He sounds like a fine gentleman! Also, congrats on your daughter teaching an elder to always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. She really is a stand up person.

When you get a chance, let us know how he is doing.

Frog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
Oh my! I'm so sorry. I hope that your FIL is ok.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM

378 posts, read 628,803 times
That is bad news indeed and I am hoping that you FIL will recover.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
I just learned your dad in law was the gentleman that was hit by the creep that was drunk on 41 last Thursday. Your family is in our thoughts and we wish you the best on getting through this trying time. He sounds like a fine gentleman! Also, congrats on your daughter teaching an elder to always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. She really is a stand up person.

When you get a chance, let us know how he is doing.

Frog
We were soooo sorry to hear of the terrible accident, Shannon, and hoping for your dad's full recovery! How traumatic for you all, and we want you to know you're in our thoughts and prayers. Karen and Jim

Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM

94 posts, read 178,277 times
Wow, hoping everything is looking better by now. Adding you and your family to the prayer list.

Teresa

Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,544 times
Shannon,
Thoughts, prayers and support to you and your family.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
Thank you everyone. It's been a difficult last few days. The pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays, Matt Bush, knocked my father in law off his motorcycle and ran over his head, then he left the scene. Apparently he was at a local "gentleman's club" getting drunk just prior to the accident. When apprehended he was told that the man who was hit (my father in law) was in serious condition and the FHP asked his thoughts. He said, "I'm not concerned, I've been there and done that."

On a good note, a few years ago he was riding without a helmet. My daughter, Willow, insisted that he wear a full face helmet. My father in law said it's too hot in FL, he's an experienced driver, etc and put up a huge protest. She even said she was not going to speak to him until he purchased a full face helmet. Reluctantly he purchased one. Thank God he did. An eyewitness at the scene, who was directly behind my father in law said that he thought for sure he was dead when he saw the accident. Matt Bush ran right over his head and he was amazed when he stopped his car, got out, ran over to him and asked him his name and he responded. The first thing he said when he was able to speak was, "Give Willow a hug and kiss and tell her thanks for insisting I wear my helmet." Way to go Willow!

Right now he's in ICU in Lee Memorial. All of his ribs are broken on the right side and a few on the left, he has 9 broken bones in his back, a punctured lung, a fracture left wrist, brain hemorrhaging and is covered with road rash. I went down to see him day before yesterday and he recognized Willow and me and even spoke a few words. My husband has been by his side 24/7 since the accident. He has his good days and bad. They have him in an induced coma with a breathing machine and a feeding tube today. I think they are trying to wait to see if his body starts to heal.

My father in law ran 5 marathons, including the Boston Marathon-twice. I'm confident he'll pull through this but it's going to be a long road ahead.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
Your FIL and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let's hope for a full recovery for him.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,360 times
It all makes me soooo sad......praying for your FIL, Shannon......that this wonderful man can make a full recovery and not suffer too much in the meantime. Thank YOU, Willow, for suggesting to your granddad that he wear a helmet.......he has YOU to thank for his life! I've said it before....amazing family! xoxox

Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM

161 posts, read 412,509 times
Sending hopes of a speedy recovery for your FIL and speedy justice for the idiot that did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte