U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM

178 posts, read 251,949 times
Default Advice on vehicle insurance please

I often travel to my home in Punta Gorda and my son will be starting his undergraduate at Denver University this year. I am in the process of buying a 2007 Ford Focus SE which I will use when I'm in the US, plus minus 2 months per year.

My son, 18 years old with a South African drivers license (we will obviously both have international driving licenses when we travel abroad), will also have to be on the insurance as he will use the car from time to time.

We obviously don't have social security numbers but I have a US Tax number and my son has his Denver student number if that means anything. We need to cover the other parties and our vehicle in a case of an accident and maybe roadside assistance, but nothing more than that.

If you have experience of vehicle insurance, please comment on the quote I received and let me know should you have ideas as to how the premium can be lowered. Thanks in advance.

Proposed Policy Term: 6 Month Effective Date: 4/13/2012
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Coverages Limits Premium
07 FORD
FOCUS SE/SEL/SES
Bodily Injury $25,000 Each Person / $50,000 Each
Accident
$1,173.00
Property Damage $50,000 Each Accident $556.00
Personal Injury Protection $10,000 Each Person $1,010.00
Medical Payments $2,000 Each Person $224.00
Comprehensive 250 Ded/ $88.00
Collision 250 Ded/ $1,133.00
Rental Reimbursement $30 Per Day / $900 Maximum $32.00
Total Policy Premium $4,270.81
Discounts: (vehicle #) Home Ownership; Paperless Discount; Anti-Lock Brakes(1);
Passive Restraint (1); Distant Student Discount (1); Anti-
Theft (1)
Payment Options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,158,245 times
WOW I've never heard of a premium so high, especially for one vehicle. I'm sorry I have no advice or help to offer but just had to comment.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
WOW I've never heard of a premium so high, especially for one vehicle. I'm sorry I have no advice or help to offer but just had to comment.
Thanks NPHomeowner. I hope there is someone out there that can give me advice. The car is old and I'm paying $5700 for it, the onsurance for 6 months more than $4000 per 6 months, i.o.w over 12 months I will pay more on insurance than the car is worth. Any advice....anyone...

Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 PM

232 posts, read 167,873 times
Wow that is incredibly high! I just got a quote from AAA using Travelers on a total of 3 cars (2 are 2010's and 1 a 2004) and the entire year was less than that. Maybe it is because you are not a citizen? I don't know and each policy will be different for each individual. I would call around. AAA number is 941-627-1544 in Port Charlotte.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 3,248,735 times
I usually always recommend for people to start with AAA. They can give you quotes from different insurance agencies. I did have Allstate and switched to MetLife. My auto insurance was cut in half. My boyfriend also got his cut in less than half by switching from Allstate to Traveler's Insurance.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM

486 posts, read 242,025 times
We had a similar problem moving back from Germany. You're being classified as "no prior history". That, and the 18 year old driver, are killers. If you can get an affidavit of coverage history from your insurance company in South Africa, the premium should come down, although the 18 y/o driver is still going to hurt (a lot). I would suggest you just rent a car while you're in the US, but the daily insurance adder for an 18 y/o driver would probably be prohibitive.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 AM

312 posts, read 272,029 times
HOLY COW !!!! $8500.00 a year is insane. One suggestion, get rid of COMP & COLL. It is not worth it on this car that is only $5k.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM

716 posts, read 420,640 times
You can rent a brand new Focus for $16 per day, plus tax. Figure $800 a month. If you are only here 2 months a year that would be a much better option...cheaper, newer car, no maintenance or storage while gone.

Local rentals may be more than that. That price is if rented at Miami airport. When I have visitors that want to rent their own car I tell them to fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale as the rentals are MUCH cheaper.

Go to Hotwire.com to compare rates.

I am not clear on if your son is staying in the states full time? Motorcycles are an option if so, no insurance required in Fl.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
You can rent a brand new Focus for $16 per day, plus tax. Figure $800 a month. If you are only here 2 months a year that would be a much better option...cheaper, newer car, no maintenance or storage while gone.

Local rentals may be more than that. That price is if rented at Miami airport. When I have visitors that want to rent their own car I tell them to fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale as the rentals are MUCH cheaper.

Go to Hotwire.com to compare rates.

I am not clear on if your son is staying in the states full time? Motorcycles are an option if so, no insurance required in Fl.
HarborRat, thanks for the advice. My son will be studying in the US full time on a student visa. Problem with rental cars are that he is only 18 - a no go for rentals.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM

5,618 posts, read 7,658,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
Thanks NPHomeowner. I hope there is someone out there that can give me advice. The car is old and I'm paying $5700 for it, the onsurance for 6 months more than $4000 per 6 months, i.o.w over 12 months I will pay more on insurance than the car is worth. Any advice....anyone...

Talk to Pete - he's a bad driver, and doesn't know how to stay on the right side of the road!

Hey Vegasboy, I went to the University of Denver!!

When are you coming over again! I'd like to follow up and see how things have been progressing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte