U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 AM

207 posts, read 192,310 times

Advertisements

Best company up this way for boat towing, Boats US or Sea Tow ????

Moving in the house today, closed a day earlier...Caught my first fish off
the dock yesterday, a fluke (summer flounder)....on a bucktail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 4,563,420 times
Both towing companies are here. Which is best?? Don't know, never had to call. I use BoatUS because the towing is free with the insurance, but I know SeaTow is popular as well.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,082,629 times
I always had seatow. But after moving on the water i went with tow boat us realy. Because a Neighbor is a capt and told
Me all
The benifetsI

Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM

27 posts, read 47,444 times
I use SeaTow. I have been told Boat USA does not go off-shore. Can't tell you if it true or not but I don't want to take the chance. SeaTow has responded to my two calls very promptly. They also have a parts catalog that beats prices at many stores in the area. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM

207 posts, read 192,310 times
Boat Tow is what I had before, I'll stick with them, thanks......

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog352 View Post
I use SeaTow. I have been told Boat USA does not go off-shore. Can't tell you if it true or not but I don't want to take the chance. SeaTow has responded to my two calls very promptly. They also have a parts catalog that beats prices at many stores in the area. Good luck.
Yes, BoatUS goes offshore 25 miles standard. Some BoatUS towing ports go up to 50 miles offshore standard. BoatUS: Towing Services : Unlimited Towing

Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,099,882 times
I just call a friend if I need a tow - so far I never have needed one. I get the US Boat tow insurance, and I also have a boat tow insurance on my boat insurance policy. So far, I've never needed it. I service my boat with people that really know Yamaha motors, and if it acts up at all I have them come out. I have dual batteries and a switch so that if one goes out when I'm out on the water I have a back up. That happened once, and because of the back-up I was good. Changed them both for new batteries when that happened. Florida is really hard on batteries - always make sure they are in good shape.

If you have a problem, like I do sometimes - I call my buddy HH! :-)

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I just call a friend if I need a tow - so far I never have needed one. I get the US Boat tow insurance, and I also have a boat tow insurance on my boat insurance policy. So far, I've never needed it. I service my boat with people that really know Yamaha motors, and if it acts up at all I have them come out. I have dual batteries and a switch so that if one goes out when I'm out on the water I have a back up. That happened once, and because of the back-up I was good. Changed them both for new batteries when that happened. Florida is really hard on batteries - always make sure they are in good shape.

If you have a problem, like I do sometimes - I call my buddy HH! :-)
Haha BH. I am meticulous with my mechanical maintainence, but even so, things happen. Even with two engines, I still opted for the towing coverage, cuz you just never know when both engines might fail, or something disatrous happens. One thing that will never happen to me is running out of battery power I have 6 group 31 batts on board, and i load test them once a month and check the water levels. Everyone needs to check their battery water level regularly! They DO dry up, especially if charging a lot! If dry, the cells fail.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,099,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Haha BH. I am meticulous with my mechanical maintainence, but even so, things happen. Even with two engines, I still opted for the towing coverage, cuz you just never know when both engines might fail, or something disatrous happens. One thing that will never happen to me is running out of battery power I have 6 group 31 batts on board, and i load test them once a month and check the water levels. Everyone needs to check their battery water level regularly! They DO dry up, especially if charging a lot! If dry, the cells fail.
Testing batteries?!?!? That's what I have you for! :-))

Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Testing batteries?!?!? That's what I have you for! :-))
Aye aye aye BH.... It's a $45 load tester you can get at any auto parts store. VERY easy to use. A battery's condition cannot be determined by the voltage reading after charging. It MUST have a load applied to it (thus, the Load Tester). I keep it stored on the boat at all times I know, I know, even my friends up north think I'm wacko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte