U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

3,112 posts, read 4,534,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Since I didn't have a trailer, I did the same when Hurricane Isabel hit the Chesapeake. While we didn't have high winds (max. was around 50 MPH), we were hit with a high storm surge. Some boats in my creek floated off their lifts and when the water receded got impaled on the lift pilings.

Mine and my neighbor's boats just bobbed around in the water and survived unscathed. Glad he (my neighbor) came up with the idea; I would have just kept mine on the lift too if he hadn't suggested it.
My insurance co (BoatU.S.) highly recommends leaving the boat in the water (anchored and tied securely) if it cannot be relocated to a safe haven. Sure you run the risk of debris or other objects hitting the boat, but doing enough damage to sink it is rare. As long as you remove any and all loose items to prevent windage (bimini top/canvas, electronics, seat cusions if possible, etc...), the rest of the boat should be fine (they're boats-they're made to get wet). Make sure you have plenty of battery power for those bilge pumps (I have 5 large batteries).
Hopefully we don't need to worry about anything for a long time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,937 posts, read 2,825,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Hopefully we don't need to worry about anything for a long time
X2

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,059,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Big House of course has plan B..................Buy more Beer :-)

And, I'm more prepared than that! I already have an emergency supply, and a generator to keep everything running so it will be cold!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,059,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
For those with a trailerable boat, past hurricanes have proven that being on a trailer and taken inland, away from the most serious risk, is the best measures taken. Even taking it to a storage facility 50 miles away (away from the hurricane eye) will make a HUGE difference.
If it HAS to be on a lift, the higher the better, both for surge protection and to prevent swaying/chafing of the cables.
Since my boat has a generator and can be used as a temporary home if need be, my plan is to use 3 anchors and numerous lines to secure the boat in the water between my dock and the island in front of us. It's a decent "hurricane hole". This way it can ride the surge up and down. 3 bilge pumps will keep water out. This way, when the power goes out, I have the boat in the water, with generator, that we can stay on for a few days.
If we have a hurricane, I'm going to go out and find a couple (hopefully undamaged and claim them as ship wrecks)! :-) I'll be coming by your house first! LOL

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

3,112 posts, read 4,534,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
If we have a hurricane, I'm going to go out and find a couple (hopefully undamaged and claim them as ship wrecks)! :-) I'll be coming by your house first! LOL
Just remember, I might be down below aboard mine, holding a 9mm, just waiting for someone to attempt to steal and/or hurt my family As long as you yell the magic word (Yuengling) before boarding, I'll know it's you and disarm haha

Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,765,168 times
That's funny....
I see this thread started on Sunday. Has anything happened yet? Or are you still waiting? I know they had a bad storm in NYC on Monday morning, our daughter was home for the weekend and they landed 4 hours late Monday morning. After circling for so long they ran low on fuel, they flew to Allentown, Pennsylvania to refuel and wait. I wonder if that was the same storm...

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,995,720 times
Not the same storm. Alberto has weakened to a subtropical depression and is headed back out to sea.

The experts and I (the amateur) are now tracking a potential low pressure system off the coast of South Florida. Some development is expected later in the week and some computer models have it turning back toward Atlantic Florida this weekend. Stay tuned.

Here's the latest tropical surface analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hurricane Season kicks off-tgsfc1.gif  

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Default 100 % chance of Beryl

Invest 94 now has a 100% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone in the next 48 hours.
A well defined center of formation has been detected. The storm is bringing heavy downpours from Cuba to the Bahamas. The center of the storm is currently 300 miles off shore from Charleston, SC but is expected to track toward Jacksonville, FL. The next name on the list is Beryl.

Below is a current satellite image and the track forecast models from the NWS computers.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hurricane Season kicks off-invest-94.2.gif   2012 Hurricane Season kicks off-invest94.4.png  

Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,765,168 times
I have a friend in jacksonville who's been posting on facebook it's been pretty nasty down there. He said it was "Beryl".

Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Yes, it came ashore at Jacksonville on Monday, just after midnight, with winds around 70. My sister is there and she said there wasn't much damage, except some trees and shingles. Today, the remnants of Beryl spawned tornadoes near NC and destroyed 3 homes. She is forecast to go back off shore and head harmlessly back into the Atlantic.

There is a new system churning around in the Caribbean that may turn into some action in the Gulf in a few days. Several computer models are agreeing on something popping up between Western Cuba and Cancun, heading north/northeast. Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte