U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 13,292 times

Advertisements

I found a house on lake Zappa in the deep creek neighborhood (section 23) in punta gorda. I'm reading some bad things about the neighborhood, but the posts were 2007-2009. What is the neighborhood like now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 AM

804 posts, read 563,588 times
Nice neighborhood, but the downturn in the housing market and economy brought in many different types of people that normally would not be living there....the rent is pretty cheap in DC for very nice houses. I wouldn't worry though, it happened everywhere.....but DC is so far away from the water and civilization (kidding?) that it may take longer to get back to normal..that is my opinion only......

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,905,586 times
Deep Creek is a deed restricted community physically located in Port Charlotte with a Punta Gorda address. It is close to I-75 with a short travel time to Port Charlotte mall, restaurants, parks, boating, fishing and more. It will take about 45mins. to get to any of the gulf beaches. The crime rate in Deep Creek is not any different than surrounding areas, which is not bad. Just your typical small crimes, nothing major. I would say there is more crime in some of the condo communities than the single family neighborhoods in Deep Creek. You can check with the local sheriffs office for crime statistics.

Deep Creek is split into two different homeowner associations for the single family homes. One is Sec 23 Deep Creek, Florida; Section 23 Property Owners Association and the other is Sec 20 Deep Creek, Florida, Section 20 Property Owner's Association. Lake Zappa is in Punta Gorda Isles Sec 23. There were a lot of short sales and bank foreclosures in Deep Creek. There are a lot of nice, well kept homes and some homes are a little run down. But because of the deed restrictions they have to maintain certain standards. You won't see commercial vehicles parked unless they are working at someones house. You won't see old cars or junk laying around the home.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 AM

5,801 posts, read 5,716,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbay View Post
I found a house on lake Zappa in the deep creek neighborhood (section 23) in punta gorda. I'm reading some bad things about the neighborhood, but the posts were 2007-2009. What is the neighborhood like now?

Flat, brown, ugly area imho; the roads are like a maze; some homes under various stages of foreclosure, abandonment, grown over; lots of cookie cutter styles. Much of it is a housing development gone bad. Go over the Charlotte County line a bit, up King's Hwy. and check out Lake Suzy in DeSoto Cty. Nicer small area, lower taxes, Kingsway Golf Club keeps it more desireable.

Even better, go north a bit into Venice. Awesome beaches, current development is prospering, great shopping centers, much more desireable than Pt. Charlotte. Much easier proximity to Sarasota and better healthcare, culture, the arts, better airports, etc. (There really is not much to do in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area entertainment-wise and definite lack of culture. Oh, a few arts and crafty places, but once 'n done.) Or, if you really want Charlotte County, then look over the bridge in Punta Gorda itself, PG Isles area, Bal Harbor etc., or down in Burnt Store area a bit south of Punta Gorda. Better shopping, less congestion, more attractive newer architecture etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for info..much appreciated. Still a little nervous

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM

So is the neighborhood still transitioning from nice to bad or has it stabilized? Not interested in beaches, just sold property 600 yards from Atlantic. More fresh water people. Just wandering if we are looking into a neighborhood on the downslide. Prefer not to be in floodzone or on salt water. Want pool and waterfront.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
So is the neighborhood still transitioning from nice to bad or has it stabilized? Not interested in beaches, just sold property 600 yards from Atlantic. More fresh water people. Just wandering if we are looking into a neighborhood on the downslide. Prefer not to be in floodzone or on salt water. Want pool and waterfront.

Not much "fresh water" over there. What New Englanders calls mud puddles, FL calls lakes. Unless you and your family want to swim with the gators, snakes, turtles and other critters that live in those bacteria filled "lakes". Seriously! That is why there are so many home swimming pools and boats. FL is one big swamp. And be sure you have a filtered water system. The water does a number on your plumbing. You are in for a huge culture shock BackBay. Let me suggest that you rent for a minimum of one year to get the proper perspective; be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM

I have seen the property, and have visited north port over the past two years...so I know better than swim in a "lake". I'm not from new England, just looking for a place to winter and probably retire. My main concern is if the neighborhood is still in decline

Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I have seen the property, and have visited north port over the past two years...so I know better than swim in a "lake". I'm not from new England, just looking for a place to winter and probably retire. My main concern is if the neighborhood is still in decline

Do more homework. FL is a huge state.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,905,586 times
Go to the Property Owners Association web site and read some of the board minutes. Deep Creek, Florida; Section 23 Property Owners Association Look over the financial statements. Read the rules and regulations. Read the updates.

Most areas around here have short sales and bank foreclosed vacant homes. Some other developments in Charlotte County are nicer but also the homes cost quite a bit more. It really depends on what you are looking for. Lake Zappa is nice. You do have to like the neighborhood too. Home sales are picking up here. Quite a few of the bank foreclosed homes in Deep Creek were purchased during the snow bird season. We see things starting to turn around here for the better.

River Club is another area not too far from Deep Creek. It is a gated community and they do have some homes on a small lake. They have higher HOA fees than Deep Creek but they also have a community pool and club house. The area is very well kept. Prices range from $145k to $238k. Punta Gorda Isles is on the water on canals and the prices are $350k and up. Not sure what your price range is or what kind of HOA fees you are willing to pay.

Last edited by TamRE; 05-23-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte