Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,377 times

Advertisements

Crime stats matter to us. We have been comparing stats using three sources. If 2 out of 3 confirm high crime then we move on with our search. We seem to like the less populated areas best. We have lived the big city life and we don't care for it - too much pressure with traffic etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,760,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbabe View Post
Crime stats matter to us. We have been comparing stats using three sources. If 2 out of 3 confirm high crime then we move on with our search. We seem to like the less populated areas best. We have lived the big city life and we don't care for it - too much pressure with traffic etc.
I would definitely advise you stay away from Ft. Myers; along with the higher population comes higher crime. Not to say PC is crime free, we have our 1 murder a year just like Mayberry, and a fair share of drug related property crimes, but as a retired law enforcement officer...low crime is very important to me. PC/PG are good areas.

If you are looking for condo living, it's a buyers market for sure. If you don't mind a 20 minute drive to the grocery store in exchange for a clean/comfy marine based lifestyle...look at Burnt Store Marina. They have condos (even some with boat slips in front of your unit), single family homes, a gorgeous marina, on-site restaurant and hotel all just minutes away from some of the best boating in FL. No, I don't live there but I wish I did. See Welcome to Burnt Store Marina

Punta Gorda Isles is also a very nice and safe community. Hell, I wish I lived there too! But I bought lots for my money in Port Charlotte and like life here too.

Bottom line...in my opinion only, PC/PG/Englewood = yes.
Ft. Myers/Cape Coral = not no but heck no.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,036,985 times
Quote:
If you only look for bad - that's all you'll find.
I came down from MD, and lived in an area fortunately that didn't have much if any crime. When we began looking down here - everyone talked about crime - I don't think there is more crime here than anywhere else - unless you look for it.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,377 times
Messing About, thank you! We appreciate this information. We've heard you get a lot for your money in PC. Yes, condo living is our goal. Burnt Spring link is interesting!

Thank you too, Big House. All feedback is welcome!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Messing About, thank you! We appreciate this information. We've heard you get a lot for your money in PC. Yes, condo living is our goal. Burnt Spring link is interesting!

Thank you too, Big House. All feedback is welcome!
There are a lot of great deals here - almost anyone you talk to now will tell you it is much improved from a couple years ago, and prices are rising - I think in this area we are rising and past the bottom of the market. There are still many parts of the country, and Florida where that is debatable, and surely many will tell you things are still struggling in many areas (more so in many areas of the country). If you are considering buying - do so wisely - people here will offer input and opinions.

I would come down and investigate the area during different times of the year, there are a lot of options, and even though we have passed the bottom (IMO), it will be a slow steady rise. Its not going to jump to 2005 pricing for a while. You have time - and SWFL has vastly different seasons than say the North East - you should visit during the summer, and you will find it is a slower pace than in the winter, and it can bet pretty hot here - I like the heat, but some find it unbearable - everyone is different. 8-9 months of the year the weather is darn near perfect!! But there is more to LIVING HERE than just the sun, beach, boating, fishing, swimming, biking, tennis, golf, gardening, flowers and fauna, parties, Yeungling, walks, parks, birds and wildlife, sunsets, restaurants on the water - what - what - I forgot what I was thinking. :-)

Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,507,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcguy View Post
@ TamRE, I noticed you are in the real estate business. Do you deal in rentals as well as sales? My issue would be my job transfer. When and if I get a job (Wal Mart Distribution Center) They only give about 2 weeks for you to get there and start work, I know buying would be out of the question at the moment for that reason. I'd love to buy there but I know with closings and all the other great things associated with buying, I'd end up renting for awhile. Your friendly and quite helpful post made me think to ask you if you deal with rentals as well, because I will definitely give you a chance when I buy thanks to your immediate and great reply, as well as the time you took to post all that. Thank you again!
Our agency does not handle rentals. We have a property management company that shares an office with us and he has some rentals, but our agency does not show or list rentals.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 AM

50 posts, read 106,085 times
Well heck, quite a few good jobs have opened up that I coulda transferred to but it wasn't quite the time yet!!! Soooooooo ready for a change though, I hope I can settle up my issues here in Missouri and get down there before winter. Looking at the weather for both areas, its been significantly hotter here than down there, but I know humidity between the 2 areas is a huge difference. Normally Missouri is hot and humid, this year its just HOT!! I don't think, though I don't know, but it cant be that bad down there heatwise compared to here. Still keeping my eye open on this area, I bet the outdoor fun just never ends!!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,970,282 times
It never gets above 95 here. June-Sept it's pretty much 90-94 every single day, unless it's cloudy, then maybe a couple degrees lower. You get used to it. We love it.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,881 times
I saw your post and just had to reply because my husband and I are also transferring to the D.C. I should be starting on the 27th of August. So I wish you the best of luck and maybe in a few months we will see you there.
Oh and we are coming from a little farther away. Wyoming. It's gonna be long drive lol

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralana View Post
I saw your post and just had to reply because my husband and I are also transferring to the D.C. I should be starting on the 27th of August. So I wish you the best of luck and maybe in a few months we will see you there.
Oh and we are coming from a little farther away. Wyoming. It's gonna be long drive lol
Hi Ralana - welcome to the board. If you have any questions you've found a great source for information. The people on the board are pretty friendly and like to help others that come here.
I'm not sure what D.C. is - the first thing that comes to my mind (coming from MD) is the District of Columbia. Love Wyoming - I'm going to travel through the west next summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte