Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM

531 posts, read 1,159,049 times

Advertisements

MANY congrats, NPhomeowner........so wonderful that you've found your place in Paradise........HAPPY for you! We arrived for our 3 week visit on Fri. evening, and while staying at our daughter's house, we're waiting for our youngest daughter to arrive (from Germany) with her 3 kids.......verrrry excited! We haven't seen them in THREE years, and what BETTER place to meet up than in beautiful FLORIDA!! (smiling)
Anyway.........once again......congrats on your 1 year anniversary.......so amazing how fast the time has gone by!
Here's to many many more fantastic years, and to US actually moving down here too! Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,955,619 times
Congrats, NPHO. It's a long process for some of us, but worth it in the end.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,364,373 times
It is a LONG process planning and making it happen but it's so worth it all.

I forgot to mention in my original post about the bugs that so many people worry about. Pfffffttt.......no big deal. The first 2 months I was like a screaming little girl yelling for hubby to kill something. Then I took charge, armed with my home defense spray and vacuum cleaner! ARRRRR! I got those bugs. Now, we don't even see any inside the house. Rarely do we even see a cockroach outside. I really give a lot of that credit to our bug guy! Besides, what's a few bugs? We had bugs up North, just different ones! They are bigger here so they are easier to see and kill!

Really though, I don't see anything making me ever want to leave here (unless we get a cat 5 hurricane). I've always dreamed of living close to the beach and somewhere where the sun shines most of the time. I'm home.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,776,185 times
Just wondering how many were here for charley? As long as you prepare youve got plenty of warning.
What a year that was 2004

Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 AM

413 posts, read 825,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I love it here too! Congratulations on your Anniversary!! We talked to people on this board, and actively planned for a year to move down here. I am grateful to many posters that still post here for all the information and help.

And that is one of the reasons I remain here and continue to encourage others - its hard, and slow sometimes, things don't go as hoped, there are setbacks and not your fault, so it is good to hear some encouragement and keep hearing of the things you ultimately want to do, and there is way more to do than you realize - I agree.

We had a nice group (12) people over and had a good ole fashion MD crab feast, for many it was their first one, a few of us from MD showed the others how to pick and eat crabs. Many were expecting just to try it and were skeptical, but after they ate the first one - they were digging in the the second third and more. . . They said they never knew crabs could be so good. I credited a friend that was there with the recipe which he gave me because until recently I never made crabs. His recipe is awesome, and better than some of the best crab houses in Baltimore. We had two steamer pots going, and after 6 dozen (we only had a couple left over).

Of course it was all washed down with lots of Yeungling! :-)
Sounds like a good time! Would you share the recipe?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM

5,143 posts, read 4,909,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We had a nice group (12) people over and had a good ole fashion MD crab feast, for many it was their first one, a few of us from MD showed the others how to pick and eat crabs. Many were expecting just to try it and were skeptical, but after they ate the first one - they were digging in the the second third and more. . . They said they never knew crabs could be so good. I credited a friend that was there with the recipe which he gave me because until recently I never made crabs. His recipe is awesome, and better than some of the best crab houses in Baltimore. We had two steamer pots going, and after 6 dozen (we only had a couple left over).

Of course it was all washed down with lots of Yeungling! :-)
Just curious how much crabs cost down there. We just paid $100 for 2 dozen large ( 6" - 6 1/2" ) males in Maryland .

Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,053,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Just curious how much crabs cost down there. We just paid $100 for 2 dozen large ( 6" - 6 1/2" ) males in Maryland .
these would be considered jumbos or whales up there. I got a good deal at $30 / dozen. Normally the large ones are about $25 or so depends on where you buy them. A lot of crab places down here don't sort them like they do in MD - mine were sorted because I got them from the source and was lucky.

Usually, now, I catch them right off my dock, but there was not way I could catch 6 dozen. I usually catch about 10 +/- in a day and a half. I have two commercial crab traps and they paid for themselves (at MD prices) the first time I used them. :-) Now every week or two, I put them out and we have crabs for dinner or lunch - I love crabs and now I get them often, and the ones I catch are large sizes. I can keep the smaller ones and use them for bait, but being from MD I let them and the females all go free.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,129,770 times
its 18 months for us.....took between 7 and 10 years of planning, but then we were moving 4500 miles !!! changing countries isnt easy.
the two of us and Marley settled in just fine and added our little (!) pit Jada to the family.

the first year got taken up settling in, sorting a job for Mel, renewing visas but we now feel nice and settled.

the heat wasnt a problem last year but its been a bit muggy at the start of this summer. plus i just developed a heat rash which itches like crazy. the dogs slow down but love the pool. bugs are a pain but liveable with. not keen on the snakes (2 today)

we find the 'pace' (or lack of) the locals a bit frustrating and everything is summed up in 3 words...this is florida - which means like it or lump it.

new friends, great weather, beautiful beaches, just a general wonderful life style. its everything we hoped for and more.

dont see us moving back in the near future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte