U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,211,603 times

Advertisements

I just bought a 21' San Juan sailboat today and it's sitting in the canal behind my house...only problem is I don't know how to sail, or even rig it correctly .

I've been boating for over 20 years and have owned probably over 80 power boats, some I used, some I just flipped. I was never into sailing until now. Sure, when I was young I fooled around with Hobie Cats and Sunfishes but never really learned to sail a real boat.

I bought the SJ 21 because it has a swing keel allowing it to get in 1' of water, and it has a fold down mast so I can get under the one bridge to my house if need be...and it is easily trailer-able. And it was a good price with a nice newer 5hp outboard that got me 15 miles home on just a gallon of gas.

I know a sailing course is probably my best bet unless I can find someone willing to show me the ropes (literally). Has anyone been to a course around here? Are they worth it? I'm guessing the Punta Gorda Yacht club might have something? Is there anyone here that knows how to sail that might be interested in taking a trip out for the day to help me learn the darn thing? I can pay in cash or beer . I am right off Edgewater Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 8,529,915 times
You may want to contact Charlotte Harbor Sailing. I had a teacher co-worker that used them for sailing lessons. Here is their web site: Punta Gorda Sailing Charters from Charlotte Harbor Sailing, LLC - Florida Sailing Charters

Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks Tam! Checking them out now, they seem very reasonable.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 AM

686 posts, read 1,415,629 times
I vote for rigging a 200 Yamaha on the back, drop the mast and get 'er on plane like the McGregors!
Or not, good luck with the learning curve.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,111,962 times
I might learn how if the beer offer is out there long enough. :-) I only sailed little Sun-fish (basically a surfboard with a sail on it) when I was a kid. I loved it cuz it at least got me out on the water (which was a freezing cold lake in Vermont!).

A friend of mine just bought a beautiful 40' sail boat with cabin / kitchen and it sleeps about 8 if it has too. It has an aluminum main mast and several other sails that are all powered up and down with winches - NICE! I'm hoping to become a first mate on it so I can learn to sail. I've only ever had power boats too. The plan is once I learn then I'll probably get one and then begin a few sail-cations. His boat is too big for one person to sail - unless they really really know what they are doing (even then - it would be tough).

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM

260 posts, read 463,668 times
Here is a quick lesson on sailing, you can go any direction you want in a sailboat, except directly into the wind. If you destination happens to be directly into the wind, you have to tack to get to it, or motor.

I'm not sure about in Punta Gorda, but down in North Fort Myers, the Edison sailing center is located at the foot of the calossahatchee bridge, offers a sailing course.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM

86 posts, read 275,326 times
The US Power Squadron offers a sailing course. The Peace River Power squadron is located in Punta Gorda.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
The US Power Squadron offers a sailing course. The Peace River Power squadron is located in Punta Gorda.
I think these are just "rules of the road" book work classes, not hands-on "on a boat" instruction on sailing

Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I think these are just "rules of the road" book work classes, not hands-on "on a boat" instruction on sailing
Yeah...most of the courses I have looked at are at least 75% "rules of the road" and theory, something I already know well. I could probably get 1000 times the knowledge with a hands on one-on-one in about an hour from someone who has any idea. I think I'll be able to get the hang of sailing on my own, just a little unsure about some rigging of this particular boat...something a course probably wont cover.

The boat came with 6 different sails! I think I got the main down ok, the jib needs a few lines attached still, the spinnaker and jenny's I haven't even pulled out of their bags yet. I'll keep it simple at first, learn on the main and then raise the jib I guess. If all else fails I know how to use the outboard .

Old 06-17-2012, 04:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,087,000 times
I had a. Ustomer on e in new hsmpsire asked me to come over to his csbin and look at some work on his bost when leaving he asked it i knew anyone who ould twke a 28' daysailer out of his yard ( no trailor) he said free. Do i said i can i had fun playing with it after eork alot but after 5 the wind would die off jusy after i left the dock. Then id be just sitting there and my son eould buzz me on the saverunner nicd thing i like with sailing was how wuiet it was i could here what people were saying onshore as i sailed past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte