U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,658,559 times
Default Boating checklist

well my new engine is being installed as I type and I am hoping to have it in the water next week. being a novice I have arranged for a friend who is a US Coastguard auxillary to give me some lessons. I have also read up a fair bit.
the boat hasnt been used for 2 years so I know I need to pick up some new bits but would appreciate any thoughts on my 'check list'.

the boat has....lifejackets,horn, GPS,fish finder,radio, push pole

I am going to buy new flares and fire extinguisher.

I have put together a basic toolkit with screwdrivers,pliers,adjustable wrench, cable ties, WD40,sockets and some cleaning rags,.

what else should I carry (no BH not yeungling....)

and one last question, do I need to carry title,registration and proof of insurance onbaord ?

thanks shipmates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM

1,151 posts, read 774,621 times
You don't have to carry insurance because FL doesn't require boater insurance. Registration and your ID are required.
First aid kit and a roll of duct tape would be good.
Seatow policy would be smart.

Tell us about the boat.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

I have insurance -the marina requires it and to be honest so do I !!!!

have duct tape, First aid kit is onlist

i was heading for the tow policy but my insurance pays up to 500 bucks toward one

Boat is a 2001 Bayliner Capril 185 with 4.3l V6 190hp Mercury engine.
belonged to a friend , long story but it hasnt been used for 2 years, had new manifolds and lifts right before he stopped using it, I have had a new engine c/w pumps,alternator etc installed

Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM

573 posts, read 506,671 times
Awesome! You may want to look into a flush kit using Salt Away if it is a RWC motor, raw water cooled, no anti freeze. You will need to flush it after each use and the flush kit lets you do this w/o using muffs on the outdrive. Just hook up the hose (and the salt away thingy) and let it run for I think 10 min. I've never used one but a good friend from up Norf recommends it highly.
Myself, Insurance is a MUST! The tow policy may be adequate but 500 doesn't cover much. Stay in the harbor with that amount. Sea Tow is only like 149 I think a year for unlimited including ungrounding (not salvage. big difference!). When I get a boat again, I'll have full towing.
Congrats!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:25 PM

thanks, the marina include flushing out in their service,but yes i Knew it needed doing (it not being done caused the previous problem) and I do intend getting the tow in addition.

appreciate the advice

Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM

1,151 posts, read 774,621 times
Exactly like FrogMan said. 500 doesn't get you towed very far. I used my SeaTow membership twice. Once was from the Cape Haze reef to El Jobean and it would have been 900, had I not invested the 149. A friend just got towed in from 35 miles off shore and frankly, I think they gave him a break. He wasn't a member and they charged him 2000 for the tow. He had to give his credit card and complete the authorization before they would even come out there.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 AM

573 posts, read 506,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Exactly like FrogMan said. 500 doesn't get you towed very far. I used my SeaTow membership twice. Once was from the Cape Haze reef to El Jobean and it would have been 900, had I not invested the 149. A friend just got towed in from 35 miles off shore and frankly, I think they gave him a break. He wasn't a member and they charged him 2000 for the tow. He had to give his credit card and complete the authorization before they would even come out there.

Back in 2001 we were taking our recently purchased motoryacht from Ft Myers to the keys. We were waaaay out there out of VHF and Cell phone range. A 40 something trawler was w/o power and at anchor. We were getting hit with a 7' short chop. Once we were within radio range to Marathon, we did the radio relay for them. The trawler had a reimbursement policy for towing but had to pay first. One company (can't remember if it was sea tow or BoatUs so I won't assume) wouldn't come out saying it was too rough. The other company needed a 5K deposit on a CC just to come get him. He finally got towed in just when it was getting dark. I did speak to him afterwards and he thought he aged a few years that day.
At least he had someone to come get him! Had he been a member, I think it would have been easier.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 7 days ago)

15,684 posts, read 14,084,925 times
As noted carry your checkbook/credit cards.

I would suggest a refresher course in addition to your buddy.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 AM

423 posts, read 344,530 times
Get a nerf football.They are great to play with and if you ever do get a hole in the boat you can stuff it in and it will stop the leak. I have heard of big boats being saved by a nef ball, some have even swam under the boat to plug a hole.Some people carry a little roll of toilet wax it will do the same on a small hole.I would also get a ditch bag and fill it with essentials in case you do have to jump ship.There are some great ideas on this over at the hull truth.com

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM

5,616 posts, read 7,619,999 times
buy a couple charts that shows all the marinas and places to get beer!
Oh, and they might come in handy if you need gas. ;-)

Always bring some sort of water shoes (wear them preferably), you feet will get wet, and they come in handy when you have to jump in the water after you beach yourself on a sand bar. It won't happen often - but it will happen.

Also, some boats don't come equipped with dual batteries and a switch to change between them. You can have that option added if you want. Many boats have battery problems.

And, ALWAYS bring your cell phone and keep some good quality ZIP LOCK bags on board to protect items you don't want to get wet. I always have several different sizes. That way your phone will always work so you can call me to come get a beer - you know - when you need help! ;-))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte