Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 AM

88 posts, read 336,119 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My DH and I are getting ready to start fostering ages 0-5 and I'd like to get some recommendations on daycare and aftercare in Punta Gorda. So far I really like the YMCA programs but I haven't been able to get much info online. I believe Good Shepherd has both but I didn't see any info on pricing. I also heard of a daycare called Storybook but I couldn't find them online.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
When my wife worked at Charlotte Regional, we had our son at the YMCA daycare across the street. He was there from age 3 months to 2yrs. It was OK, but nothing more. The staff turns over constantly! We never really knew who was taking care of our son. We pulled him when she took a better job last fall. He's now at a fantastic daycare in PC.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
When my wife worked at Charlotte Regional, we had our son at the YMCA daycare across the street. He was there from age 3 months to 2yrs. It was OK, but nothing more. The staff turns over constantly! We never really knew who was taking care of our son. We pulled him when she took a better job last fall. He's now at a fantastic daycare in PC.
Which one is she in now? I work off of Airport and live in South County so I'd prefer not to have to go into Port Charlotte but if it's not too far from the bridge....

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIU2000 View Post
Which one is she in now? I work off of Airport and live in South County so I'd prefer not to have to go into Port Charlotte but if it's not too far from the bridge....
Not saying on a public forum where he's at. I'd DM you, but since it's about 5 miles north of the bridge, I'm sure you wouldn't be interested.
Visit them all in person though and interview the director at each. See how quiet the infant rooms are at naptime. You'd be surprised how loud some can be. A baby needs his/her naps, and if it's noisy, they won't sleep and it is not good for them. Don't sign a contract, and watch all the extra fees. Average price here is $130-$160/week, depending on age, but if you're fostering, I'm sure the state is paying for it, along with paying you for fostering.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the tips! We're definitely new at this since we don't have kids of our own. I do plan to visit them. I want to make sure the kids aren't just languishing and are actually being stimulated, that it's clean, etc. I think I might check out Grace Community School (just over the bridge) and Good Shepherd. Unfortunately the choices are limited in PG

Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM

We checked Grace Community. Was NOT impressed at all. They lure you in with "cheap" rates, but it's honestly hard to find a teacher that speaks english! 97% hispanic in there. We left disappointed. Don't know anything about Good Shepard.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
You can go to the Florida Department of Children and Families. Select Charlotte County and type in your zip code. You can then search by type of facility such as full day care, after care, etc. Once it gives you a list of providers you can click on the Inspection Reports and read about each facility. It also gives you the hours, contact information, etc. Good luck.

Here is the web site: Child Care Provider Search - SansWrite Public Web Portal

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We checked Grace Community. Was NOT impressed at all. They lure you in with "cheap" rates, but it's honestly hard to find a teacher that speaks english! 97% hispanic in there. We left disappointed. Don't know anything about Good Shepard.
I'm Hispanic so that would not be a problem for me. It would actually be a plus since I would want the baby to learn Spanish. My babysitter was my grandmother who spoke only Spanish and I still managed to learn English just fine before kindergarten. I'm looking forward to start visiting places and hope that I find one I like that's convenient.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIU2000 View Post
I'm Hispanic so that would not be a problem for me. It would actually be a plus since I would want the baby to learn Spanish. My babysitter was my grandmother who spoke only Spanish and I still managed to learn English just fine before kindergarten. I'm looking forward to start visiting places and hope that I find one I like that's convenient.

Thanks!
Good Luck!! :-)

Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Whats aftercare?
My son is 25 and never heard of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte