U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,061,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_juliet View Post
does it really matter how thick the granite is? It's a surface top for kitchen use, it's for aesthetic purposes mostly, it's not a pool table for accuracy! I wouldn't care what thickness it was, don't abuse counter tops. Most kitchen workers will never abuse, but we do want something durable and something stylish. I have never gotten my measuring tape out to determine if I liked a counter or not!!! Totally NOT a dealbreaker on the thickness!! Most cooks don't care!~
Well. . .

some evidently do. . .

and some evidently don't. . .

;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM

3,372 posts, read 3,766,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Didn't you get the memo? 90% of the people in this country are idiots!
Oh yeah!! I forgot!!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM

142 posts, read 130,027 times
As far as appliances go I bought on Craigslist and saved about 600 dollars or more. Got almost new SS all but the microwave and the dishwasher. I bought them on close out at lowes. Its all done and looks exclent. I put 4x4 slate behind the slate as a back splash. I also put new laminate on the bath vanity top.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,857,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
We are thinking of putting in a new kitchen. The cupboards I think we will keep, too expensive and the ones we have are fine. How much does it help if you have stainless steel appliances and solid surface tops and a nice back splash in tile? If I can do it for 3000 dollars can I make money on it?
YES! putting in new stainless steel appliances and granite will help sell a home!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
As far as appliances go I bought on Craigslist and saved about 600 dollars or more. Got almost new SS all but the microwave and the dishwasher. I bought them on close out at lowes. Its all done and looks exclent. I put 4x4 slate behind the slate as a back splash. I also put new laminate on the bath vanity top.
I think you made the right decision! And, I bet you kitchen looks makes your whole house look even better! I think a tile / slate backsplash is a great idea, and will give a really nice accent - touch to the look of your kitchen! We put a tile backsplash full height behind our counters - its glass / quartz and it matches the dark bronze of the new knobs we installed, matches the honey maple wood cabinets we have, the colors of our granite, and an accent color we painted above our cabinets! We even have a cool fabric beachy art piece on the wall - unfortunately that is going to my daughters new apartment in the fall, so we will have to replace it with something else. Giving my wife more incentive to shop. ;-( I can live with that though, if she brings home a six pack. ;-)

Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,200,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
granitte is sold in 20cm (3/4") or 30cm (1 1/4") I disagree with the quote 3/4 is the industry norm. 30cm is absolutley the standard for kitchens and I would never 'downgrade' to 20cm in kitchens. bathrooms yes
I think you meant 3 cm-30 cm would be 11.8 inches. We are looking at new counter tops (granite) The samples at Lowes are all 3/8 inches. I would prefer some thing a bit thicker myself, but the demo kitchens seem to all have 3/8" thick granite.

We are looking at picking out our own slab (not Lowes) and getting something thicker than the "norm" of 3/8". Looks like some good deals in the area right now.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I think you meant 3 cm-30 cm would be 11.8 inches. We are looking at new counter tops (granite) The samples at Lowes are all 3/8 inches. I would prefer some thing a bit thicker myself, but the demo kitchens seem to all have 3/8" thick granite.

We are looking at picking out our own slab (not Lowes) and getting something thicker than the "norm" of 3/8". Looks like some good deals in the area right now.
CTC - he's British, what does he know about the metric system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte