U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM

412 posts, read 655,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
You'd think a screen would work. But 2 weeks ago. I had to replace the switch cover on the lift. When I pulled off the gasket, I found the switch box packed with mud nests. How they got in there, I have no idea, but it changed my estimation of the chances of being able to keep them out.
There is a product we use to seal openings in conduit called duct seal, it looks like modeling clay you should be able to get it at Home depot. You just stuff the void with it it is easy to remove if you need to pull new wire or other maintenance. Maybe this would help keep them out of your switch box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM

528 posts, read 797,442 times
I just lowered my boat just to put something inside and a bird's nest poped out it's been only a couple af days since I operated the lift I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on that going foward

Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,350,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
I just lowered my boat just to put something inside and a bird's nest poped out it's been only a couple af days since I operated the lift I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on that going foward
Same thing happened to me - seems like you have to exercise the lift almost every day. We now have a goofy egret trying to break through our new super screen into the cage.....where did I put that pellet gun???

@ Dave - good idea; duct seal is great stuff. I used to have a 5 lb block, but misplaced it during a move somewhere along the way.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,187,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
Cool. He has a reputation riding on this one. If he's good, I'll use him and recommend him too.
Thx
Let us know.

Well he was honest and good. He benched tested the motor, cleaned it up a bit and handed it back to my neighbor saying there was nothing wrong with it, to look somewhere else for the problem.

It turns out there were some questionable connections inside the up/down switch. Cleaned them out and the motor works fine. We never suspected that as the switches were brand new 2 months ago and "proffesionally" replaced .

So yeah, I'd recommend Johns Electric Motors off Harborview.

On a side note his lift was wired 15 some years ago like many other lifts in the area. I guess code was more lenient back then...both up/down switches are wired to a single 110v 30amp circuit breaker with 12 gauge wire run underground about 100 feet, then 14 gauge from the switches to the motors. The voltage drop must be pretty high so I guess any bad connection will keep the motors from working properly. The symptoms were the same as the usual, motor just hummed until spun by hand.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 AM

686 posts, read 1,405,853 times
[quote=HarborRat;25576197]
So yeah, I'd recommend Johns Electric Motors off Harborview.

quote]

Good to know. Thanks and glad you got it fixed with nothing but sweat!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,070,066 times
I had good srvice from johns on one of my Davit motors.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,048 times
Default Ace vertical boatlift stuck

Got an Ace vertical worm gear lift stuck. Motor runs but belt slips. Worm gear acts jammed and I can't rotate pulley to go either up or down. No teeth broken, cables somewhat miss aligned. I read other comments about wasps messing up motor but in this case motor runs.

Help
Thanks Remraf

Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Remraf I has this also motor ran and belt slipped on the small pulley the large geared wheel the belt turned had the bolt that locke it in place on the pipe came out after loosiung the bolt off . the long nut backed out and jammed the wheel gear. stopping the lift. a easy fix.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,048 times
Mike M8560
Sounds like same problem but not following your reply. There is a bolt tying the gear wheel to the lift shaft but I don't see it interfering with the geared wheel turning. is that what you were saying to check?

Thanks
Remraf

Old 10-31-2016, 02:59 PM

yes on mine the bolt thet holds the large gear wheel to the lift shaft the nut came off the bolt backed out and jammed on something. I forget what it was its been awhile now I replaced the nut on the bolt and all was well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte