U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,012,014 times

Advertisements

I feared this might happen. After not using my lift for several months in favor of using my trailer, one of my lift motors is freezing up. I greased them regularly so that shouldn't be an issue. There's power and if I give the belt wheel a push, it starts running normal. I made it go both up and down but after stopping, it won't start again. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 AM

528 posts, read 801,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I feared this might happen. After not using my lift for several months in favor of using my trailer, one of my lift motors is freezing up. I greased them regularly so that shouldn't be an issue. There's power and if I give the belt wheel a push, it starts running normal. I made it go both up and down but after stopping, it won't start again. Any thoughts?
There is usually a startup capacitor in the motor, Could be the problem, it is a rectangular looking thing bolted to it

Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Common problem....there is a contact switch inside the motor that gets filled with mud from the wasps. You can take the back of the motor off (whole back, not just the wiring plate) and clean it out without removing the motor. You might need to tap with a hammer to separate the motor back.

I have been told (but did not verify) that if the capacitor goes bad on these the motor will not run at all, even with spinning the pulley. You can swap capacitors from one motor to the other and see if the problem moves, but I doubt that's it.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 PM

686 posts, read 1,411,674 times
+++1 there is a contact switch inside the motor that gets filled with mud from the wasps

Had the same problem. Wasp nests in the contact area. Pulled motor off (I hope it's on the inboard side!), pulled apart and lots!!! of Mud wasp nests. Had to spin the pully to get it to go either direction until the contacts were cleaned of the 'mud'. I know your pain! I too thought it was the capaciter.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks gang...I will investigate that. And yes, FrogMan...it's the shore side. But if it wasn't, that's why I built the floating maintenance barge.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,080,873 times
I had thT problem with a motor on one of my davits. I took the motor to johns electric repair behind circle k in whidden industrial park off harborview.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,953 posts, read 2,846,605 times
Had the same issue with my lift motor in Maryland. I literally rinsed the motor out with the garden hose (elec. was off at the circuit panel, of course) and then sprayed it down with WD-40. That was several years ago and I haven't had a problem with it since.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Had the same issue with my lift motor in Maryland. I literally rinsed the motor out with the garden hose (elec. was off at the circuit panel, of course) and then sprayed it down with WD-40. That was several years ago and I haven't had a problem with it since.
We tried that first too, no luck. Worth a shot though!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM

The hornets nests were the culprits. I didn't even have to pull the motor cover off. I shut the breaker down and used a long thin screwdriver, through the vents, to break the nests apart and sweep most of the dried mud out. After one little push start on the big wheel, the motor kicked in and worked fine. I went up and down several times, with brief breaks to ensure it wouldn't freeze again. Looks like another case solved by the City Data forum.

Thanks all.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM

528 posts, read 801,285 times
Quote:
The hornets nests were the culprits. I didn't even have to pull the motor cover off. I shut the breaker down and used a long thin screwdriver, through the vents, to break the nests apart and sweep most of the dried mud out. After one little push start on the big wheel, the motor kicked in and worked fine. I went up and down several times, with brief breaks to ensure it wouldn't freeze again. Looks like another case solved by the City Data forum.

Thanks all.
Good job, something to keep in mind and be aware of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte