Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times

Advertisements

My. Igest issue is comming down a single lane rd 35 mph I have to go over a ridge then take a right just over the bridge. Frogman you know where. I'll out on a blinker well in advance but if I'm not making the turn at high speed I'll get the horn alot and then they floor it after I am out of there way as they cross the yellow line.going around. This is off edgewater and a single lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,008,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
My. Igest issue is comming down a single lane rd 35 mph I have to go over a ridge then take a right just over the bridge. Frogman you know where. I'll out on a blinker well in advance but if I'm not making the turn at high speed I'll get the horn alot and then they floor it after I am out of there way as they cross the yellow line.going around. This is off edgewater and a single lane.

Rock Creek is the only one I can think of that would be a right turn (and left!) off Edgewater....ok one on Midway too....and I agree. Scares the crap out of me on the bike, but that has nothing to do with bad drivers...just a poorly placed road after the bridge. Slow way down before the bridge with your blinker on and no problem. I can't make that turn fast on the bike because of all the sand at the bottom of the bridge.

PS...I can think of many left turns after bridges that are much worse.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,884,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Rock Creek is the only one I can think of that would be a right turn (and left!) off Edgewater....ok one on Midway too....and I agree. Scares the crap out of me on the bike, but that has nothing to do with bad drivers...just a poorly placed road after the bridge. Slow way down before the bridge with your blinker on and no problem. I can't make that turn fast on the bike because of all the sand at the bottom of the bridge.

When I was looking for a house to buy, I drove literally every street south of Tamiami east of Collingswood that were canal front. I didn't like the thought of pulling out onto a main thoroughfare when I couldn't see approaching traffic due to a bridge. I pretty much discounted buying on those streets.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post

Carlisle at the sunrise also and if I slow way down that oisses them also they are just flying through instead of 41. I had a friend crossing Appleton I. South gulf cove by a bridge did see a oncomming car and got t boned His fault for not looking closer.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM

383 posts, read 1,020,649 times
wHERE I CAME FROM THE LEFT LANE WAS THE "FAST LANE" OR IF YOU WERE GETTING READY TO MAKE A LEFT TURN OFF THAT STREET OR HIGHWAY, YOU USED THAT LANE. I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT WORKS HERE? FOR THOSE OF US COMMUTING DOWN ROUTE#776 EVERYDAY,THE DRIVE TO WORK OR SHOPPING IS NOTHING LESS THAN EXCRUCIATING.IF YOURE NOT WILLING OR ABLE TO DRIVE AT THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT ON ANY GIVEN ROADWAY ,THEN GET TO THE RIGHT LANE,AND DRIVE THERE UNTIL SUCH TIME AS YOU HAVE TO EITHER MAKE A LEFT TURN OR YOU DECIDE THAT YOU WANT TO DRIVE AT THE POSTED SPEED. EVERY DAY WE ARE FORCED TO ENDURE A BLOCKADE OF CARS IN BOTH LANES DRIVING AT JUST UNDER THE LIMIT,AND THE CARS BEHIND US TRYING TO FORCE US,TO FORCE THE ONES AHEAD OF US TO MOVE FASTER OR OUT OF THE WAY, WHEN IN FACT THERE IS NOWHERE FOR ANY OF US TO GO IN THE GRIDLOCK OF CARS. THERE YOU GO ,NOW THAT I GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYSTEM,I GOTTA GO, AND TRY TO GET TO WORK ON TIME. HAVE A NICE DAY

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,131,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
wHERE I CAME FROM THE LEFT LANE WAS THE "FAST LANE" OR IF YOU WERE GETTING READY TO MAKE A LEFT TURN OFF THAT STREET OR HIGHWAY, YOU USED THAT LANE. I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT WORKS HERE? FOR THOSE OF US COMMUTING DOWN ROUTE#776 EVERYDAY,THE DRIVE TO WORK OR SHOPPING IS NOTHING LESS THAN EXCRUCIATING.IF YOURE NOT WILLING OR ABLE TO DRIVE AT THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT ON ANY GIVEN ROADWAY ,THEN GET TO THE RIGHT LANE,AND DRIVE THERE UNTIL SUCH TIME AS YOU HAVE TO EITHER MAKE A LEFT TURN OR YOU DECIDE THAT YOU WANT TO DRIVE AT THE POSTED SPEED. EVERY DAY WE ARE FORCED TO ENDURE A BLOCKADE OF CARS IN BOTH LANES DRIVING AT JUST UNDER THE LIMIT,AND THE CARS BEHIND US TRYING TO FORCE US,TO FORCE THE ONES AHEAD OF US TO MOVE FASTER OR OUT OF THE WAY, WHEN IN FACT THERE IS NOWHERE FOR ANY OF US TO GO IN THE GRIDLOCK OF CARS. THERE YOU GO ,NOW THAT I GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYSTEM,I GOTTA GO, AND TRY TO GET TO WORK ON TIME. HAVE A NICE DAY
when one gets old and miserable and realize that next week may be their last it seems they want to punish everyone else. my wife says that they are old and slow so why should they be in a hurry. i see it the opposite way, if its time to croak in the near future i am doing all i can. i would care less about speeding tickets cause they cant collect 6 ft under.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 AM

535 posts, read 1,025,643 times
When I leave the house and have to turn left on Edgewater off Rock Creek I take the a left on the street just before Edgewater and a then a right that leaves enough room to see the bridge and avoid the loco's that like to catch air as they go over the bridge takes about 10 seconds longer, but lots safer

Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM

517 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlady View Post
I was driving on El Jobean Friday evening, and an older then me gentleman in a little car was right on my tail, I was going 55- think the speed limit is 50. he was red in the face because I would not drive faster, he tried to go around me, the guy next to me (left lane) was probably going about 58.

....I typically move out of the way of the jerks, but I had no where to go, if I would have slowed down to get in the left lane he would have hit me, I was not speeding up to get in front of the other guy- not getting a ticket....

This. ^^^

I posted something similar recently on another thread saying I don't know what people think they have to gain by riding someone's bumper: If you have to change lanes with zero notice, it requires turning your head and looking back to ensure there's no one in your blind spot. If I'm dealing with a possibly irate and/or erratic driver in very close proximity, I'm not going to initiate an optional move (lane change) that requires attention and thus divide my attention.

The rest of this post is directed to the drivers who take the opposite view (re specifically bumper riding, not the broader left lane question):

I guess if your aim is not to get the person to move but to vent, then this behavior does "make sense" from your point of view (although you don't want me on your jury if you ever maim or kill someone).

My view: Attitude is one thing sitting in your home in front of your computer--vent away. It can even occasionally offer a useful, fresh perspective to others. But it's quite another thing for you to let the reptilian part of the brain (meant in the brain sciences research sense, not as a slur) take over when behind the wheel of a vehicle.

By the way, if you would like to see what driving would be like if a lot more of us decided to join in these displays of attitude, try driving in South Florida (Broward/Dade and maybe parts of Palm Beach county) sometime.

And try asking your insurance agent how much your rates would go up--for same driver, same car, only change being a change to a Miami zip--and you will be shocked. Even a change to a Boca Raton zip from Lee county, some years back was almost double for me, and I have a perfect driving record. So keep doing what you're doing if you want us all to enjoy South Florida insurance rates. (I have seen drivers over there do things that would make your mouth drop open in total disbelief. Things you couldn't dream up. All because the rules apply to other people, not them, or because they felt the need to set someone else straight.)

Also, some roads are two lane, so please be patient when I need to (briefly) use the left lane to pass someone who's going under the speed limit without breaking the law myself to accommodate you. And since those slow drivers often suddenly realize they're going slow when someone tries to pass them, and so they speed up, please continue to be patient with me if I need to spend more than mere seconds to make my way safely back to the right lane. I promise I am not doing what I'm doing to ruin your day; I'm just trying to drive at the maximum safe/legal speed instead of below it myself--so please don't treat me like the one who is holding up traffic.

Again, if you are going 10 miles over the speed limit and I have time to see you coming, I will gladly get out of your way. If you're going 75+ where the speed limit is 50 (not talking I-75 obviously) or you are riding my bumper, I'm going to stay exactly where I am doing exactly what I'm doing because to do anything else would be unsafe when there's an obviously emotionally worked up (= poor judgment, likely to cause an accident) driver dangerously close to me.

Something else that occurred to me is maybe some (just some) of the drivers in the left lane who you think are going too slow are driving at a reasonable speed (or more) until you start riding their bumper. Then they may slow down either because you've pushed their buttons and now they have an attitude too (great, two people now who would rather be right than be safe) or because they notice that you're acting like they're doing something wrong, so they check themselves and see that they are in fact doing something wrong (driving 10 miles above the speed limit), so then they correct that (not in the way you intended)!

Take a drive in Miami and ask yourself if you really want to turn driving conditions in Southwest Florida into what they are already in South Florida. Not to mention do you want to be able to feel, when you venture out of your home, that the people around you are fairly benevolent and will give you a break/meet you halfway/even give you a hand if you need it because they're nice, decent people? Or do you want to feel that you're in hostile territory except when you're within your own four walls?

I've lived a number of places, and people in at least my part of Southwest Florida (Lee/Collier) are friendlier to strangers (not just as drivers) than in any of those other places. And, while I can't speak as authoritatively to driving in the rest of Southwest Florida, I know there's a lot of genuine friendliness/good will to strangers throughout Southwest Florida because of the way people on this forum have responded re my possible relocation questions.

This post is basically me saying we've got something good here compared to a lot of places, and I would hate for that to change.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM

140 posts, read 398,513 times
City-Datarer...EXCELLANT

Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,086,998 times
Thanks, Chuck12020123.

I've noticed my comments on driving tend to be a bit long/emotional. It must be because I suppress these thoughts/reactions while I'm driving for safety's sake (so they come out here).

Anyway, thanks for reading/commenting on my long post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte