U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 AM

50 posts, read 132,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There are NO lease option or seller financing modular homes in Charlotte or DeSoto county in the MLS. There are 6 manufactured/mobile homes that the seller is offering financing or lease option. See below.

Attachment 101205

OK, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM

10,760 posts, read 15,025,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAnnie View Post
Hey, thanks for this info! We're a little leery of condos based on previous experience living in a condo community here in our area back in the mid 90s. I loved the condo, it was new and spacious, 2400 sq ft with a main level and finished walk-out basement on a little pond. They were actually large ranch houses that were split in the middle by a sharing wall and two families lived in one building. The sharing wall was on the master bedroom/master bath/kitchen side and we could hear the couple on the other side of the wall talking to one another at night when they were going to bed, kind of like you can hear people talking or hear the TV on the other side of your hotel room wall. We could also hear them in their bathroom when we were in ours, could hear the bath water being run and the shower water too. When we were in the kitchen we could hear them cooking on their side. The people on the other side of the wall were wonderful people, we got along fine but we always wondered what THEY heard, we were newlyweds ...!

But worse than that was the association fees that kept going up and up and up each year and the needed maintenance work wasn't getting done on the units. They expected us to water the lawns, they proved water spigots but there were not enough of them so we also had to share them with 4 condo units and some people got pretty stingy with those spigots! The decks and roofs were not cared for properly after a huge storm took off shingles from several units. And then one day they determined that the condo owners would have to be responsible for staining the exterior decks because they claimed they didn't have enough money in the fund. So some did and other did not because they could not afford to do it, a lot of the residents were seniors on a fixed income and some were not physically able to do the work themselves either.

The roofs remained the responsibility of the HOA but they rarely got patched up after the winds blew shingles off. The residents complained that the builder was responsible, since he didn't put top of the line shingles on the roofs to begin with and if he had done so, they would never have blown off in the first place. So then it became a struggle between the builder (who was still building in the community) and the current homeowners and there was a lawsuit and a big mess. Thus the fees kept going up for years to pay for the lawsuit as well as community upkeep. When I bought the condo the fees were $80 a month and I could afford that ... 5 years later they were $250 a month and we had just gotten a notice that they were increasing again to $300 a month in a few days. So we listed and sold it, got the heck out and bought a single family home where we had more control over everything and had privacy in our bedroom and bathroom! So, due to that awful experience we just don't want to get into a condo again. If I'm going to hear people on the other side of the adjoining wall in my home, I'd rather live in my travel trailer. Just sayin'.

BUT ... maybe things have changed in condo construction since the 90s and maybe, just maybe, they build them more soundproof in Florida than the one we lived in here in KY, and maybe the HOA fees don't go up so drastically as they did in our experience ...so we'll at least give it a chance and take a look. Thanks for the info, we appreciate the tip.

You know, if there are any openings for an experienced pilot ... I know a great guy with over 30 yrs experience and a great flying record who would make a wonderful addition to their company. Private pilot flying would also be considered, he flew charter before going to work for Comair/Delta, he has experience. So maybe he'll have to visit those two airports when we get there. You never know ...

Thanks again! Annie
You shouldn't hear anything, you will find concrete block construction, heavily insulated roofs due to the sun/heat; and check with your Realtor, but building codes have to comply with the very strict Miami-Dade building laws. Always have a home inspection, make sure any property, condo or single family etc., or an HOA is in compliance with all the codes. And, make sure the entire a/c system and compressor is in good condition. You will see a/c contractors' trucks and plumbers' trucks everywhere in FL. It's a cash cow area for that profession! In many areas the water supply corrodes the plumbing and many people have a whole house filter system or at least for your drinking water and a filter on your refrigerator. Hearing noise from adjoining neighbors should not be a problem in a concrete building.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You shouldn't hear anything, you will find concrete block construction, heavily insulated roofs due to the sun/heat; and check with your Realtor, but building codes have to comply with the very strict Miami-Dade building laws. Always have a home inspection, make sure any property, condo or single family etc., or an HOA is in compliance with all the codes. And, make sure the entire a/c system and compressor is in good condition. You will see a/c contractors' trucks and plumbers' trucks everywhere in FL. It's a cash cow area for that profession! In many areas the water supply corrodes the plumbing and many people have a whole house filter system or at least for your drinking water and a filter on your refrigerator. Hearing noise from adjoining neighbors should not be a problem in a concrete building.
Concrete blocks? I've never seen a house made with those. (I need to get out more.) The water is bad? Oh great. Not what I wanted to hear. Guess we'll drink bottled water and make sure we have those filters. I'm learning new things every day.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Concrete blocks? I've never seen a house made with those. (I need to get out more.) The water is bad? Oh great. Not what I wanted to hear. Guess we'll drink bottled water and make sure we have those filters. I'm learning new things every day.

I've heard the term "CBS" construction used to describe it. Concrete Block/Stucco is what it means. Pretty darned sturdy, no worries on that. However, the concrete does hold humidity and the stucco job needs to be a good one.

Baaad water? well, not that bad. It's ok for drinking they say, but it is corrosive to plumbing ... so what's it doing to your body, and water you use for cooking. Showering no problem of course.

If you Google various Counties you can search for the water quality reports within that County, and the report has to be given to you by the water dept. at the city hall if you ask for it. I do know for sure that DeSoto County / Arcadia has a low rating. So check on that before you buy and get a good water filtration system that goes under your sink, or a larger one right in the utility room (those can be expensive though). I wouldn't buy in Arcadia though unless you want a large farm, it's flat as heck and not much there except an old town, that some on here think is "quaint". Ugly and shabby is more like it compared to Charotte County, or other surrounding counties. Have you considered North Port? up and coming and very pretty; or further south in Charlotte County more toward El Jobean and Rotunda areas. There is a nice mall in Port Charlotte along Rt. 41 Tamiami Trail, called "Murdock". Punta Gorda proper is cute quaint and clean as is Punta Gorda Isles south of town, lovely.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM

[quote=QuilterChick;26206138]I've heard the term "CBS" construction used to describe it. Concrete Block/Stucco is what it means. Pretty darned sturdy, no worries on that. However, the concrete does hold humidity and the stucco job needs to be a good one.

Baaad water? well, not that bad. It's ok for drinking they say, but it is corrosive to plumbing ... so what's it doing to your body, and water you use for cooking. Showering no problem of course.

If you Google various Counties you can search for the water quality reports within that County, and the report has to be given to you by the water dept. at the city hall if you ask for it. I do know for sure that DeSoto County / Arcadia has a low rating. So check on that before you buy and get a good water filtration system that goes under your sink, or a larger one right in the utility room (those can be expensive though). I wouldn't buy in Arcadia though unless you want a large farm, it's flat as heck and not much there except an old town, that some on here think is "quaint". Ugly and shabby is more like it compared to Charotte County, or other surrounding counties. Have you considered North Port? up and coming and very pretty; or further south in Charlotte County more toward El Jobean and Rotunda areas. There is a nice mall in Port Charlotte along Rt. 41 Tamiami Trail, called "Murdock". Punta Gorda proper is cute quaint and clean as is Punta Gorda Isles south of town, lovely.[/quote

Thanks for this info! Really, it's what I need to hear. I actually looked at some houses for sale on one of those MLS sites, just to see what a concrete block house looks like, they're not as bad looking as they sound. The water thing really concerns me though. We must be pretty spoiled here, our water comes from the city and it doesn't taste bad at all and it doesn't corrode the pipes. When we were kids we'd drink it right from the garden hose in summertime since we weren't allowed in the house until time to wash up for dinner, we had to stay outside and play. Imagine that. And we never got sick from the water. We had well water back then, not city water like we have now. It came right out of the ground somehow. So that's all I've ever known about water other than the gallons of water you can buy at the grocery store. This is all new to me!

And here, most of the houses have poured concrete basements and then are constructed with brick and a little vinyl siding up at the top on the second floor. The roofs are shingles. The houses that I saw on the Florida MLS have interesting roofs, I saw some metal roofs, they were quite pretty actually. And the stucco looks nice too, I like the pastel colors. I really need to see what they look like in person though, it's hard to tell by a photo. I think we'll be doing a lot of driving around once we get down there. Arcadia may be "out".

Thanks again, really appreciate the info! Annie

Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM

[quote=AnnieAnnie;26206340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I've heard the term "CBS" construction used to describe it. Concrete Block/Stucco is what it means. Pretty darned sturdy, no worries on that. However, the concrete does hold humidity and the stucco job needs to be a good one.

If you Google various Counties you can search for the water quality reports within that County, and the report has to be given to you by the water dept. at the city hall if you ask for it. I do know for sure that DeSoto County / Arcadia has a low rating. So check on that before you buy and get a good water filtration system that goes under your sink, or a larger one right in the utility room (those can be expensive though). I wouldn't buy in Arcadia though unless you want a large farm, it's flat as heck and not much there except an old town, that some on here think is "quaint". Ugly and shabby is more like it compared to Charotte County, or other surrounding counties. Have you considered North Port? up and coming and very pretty; or further south in Charlotte County more toward El Jobean and Rotunda areas. There is a nice mall in Port Charlotte along Rt. 41 Tamiami Trail, called "Murdock". Punta Gorda proper is cute quaint and clean as is Punta Gorda Isles south of town, lovely.[/quote

Thanks for this info! Really, it's what I need to hear. I actually looked at some houses for sale on one of those MLS sites, just to see what a concrete block house looks like, they're not as bad looking as they sound. The water thing really concerns me though. We must be pretty spoiled here, our water comes from the city and it doesn't taste bad at all and it doesn't corrode the pipes. When we were kids we'd drink it right from the garden hose in summertime since we weren't allowed in the house until time to wash up for dinner, we had to stay outside and play. Imagine that. And we never got sick from the water. We had well water back then, not city water like we have now. It came right out of the ground somehow. So that's all I've ever known about water other than the gallons of water you can buy at the grocery store. This is all new to me!

And here, most of the houses have poured concrete basements and then are constructed with brick and a little vinyl siding up at the top on the second floor. The roofs are shingles. The houses that I saw on the Florida MLS have interesting roofs, I saw some metal roofs, they were quite pretty actually. And the stucco looks nice too, I like the pastel colors. I really need to see what they look like in person though, it's hard to tell by a photo. I think we'll be doing a lot of driving around once we get down there. Arcadia may be "out".

Thanks again, really appreciate the info! Annie

You're very welcome Annie. It takes a good few weeks of looking at homes in areas that appeal to you. Don't get me wrong about the water, millions of people are drinking it unfiltered I'm sure .... but ask others about the water in southwest FL; or call a few reputable plumbers down there for more information. It is no big deal to put in a good water filtration system, some resale homes may already have them. And... if you buy ... have a reputable home inspector do a thorough home inspection as part of the purchase contract. I cannot honestly say I've seen a lot of metal roofs i that area, would think they'd be quite "hot". Most of the roofs are tile, or regular shingles.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,474,542 times
Annie,
Are you looking for lot rent or land owned mobile homes? My parents live in Blue Heron Pines. It is a 55+ golf community in Punta Gorda. It is lot rent. My parents pay $499 per month for lot rent and they are on the golf course with golf and a pond view. The lot rents vary in the community based on location of home. Realtors cannot sell lot rent mobile homes unless they have a motor vehicle sales license because mobile homes on non-land owned properties are not considered real property. You are only buying the mobile home and not the land it sits on. You also don't pay property taxes. Just one thing to consider.

The community of Blue Heron Pines got hit hard by hurricane Charley. Some mobile homes had to be torn down and removed. Some needed extensive repairs and others needed little repairs. My parents mobile home was built in the 2000's. They had a broken window and some damage to their carport and roof. Other than that nothing else got damaged. The community looks totally different now. Most of the pine trees were destroyed by the hurricane. The recreation center was completely redone. My parents love the community and have many friends and are always busy with activities.

Most of the google maps in this area are a couple years old. It gives you a general idea of what the community looks like though.

Last edited by TamRE; 09-23-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
You better do it quickly! People are not supposed to advertise homes for sale on this site.
Not my rule, but the mods do in force it vigorously.
Oh, they're not? Gee, that's too bad, it's been very helpful to us. I thought, "thank you God, someone has answered my prayers, someone is actually trying to help me out by showing me an actual home!" I wondered why everyone was skirting around the issue. Now I know.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Annie,
Are you looking for lot rent or land owned mobile homes? My parents live in Blue Heron Pines. It is a 55+ golf community in Punta Gorda. It is lot rent. My parents pay $499 per month for lot rent and they are on the golf course with golf and a pond view. The lot rents vary in the community based on location of home. Realtors cannot sell lot rent mobile homes unless they have a motor vehicle sales license because mobile homes on non-land owned properties are not considered real property. You are only buying the mobile home and not the land it sits on. You also don't pay property taxes. Just one thing to consider.

The community of Blue Heron Pines got hit hard by hurricane Charley. Some mobile homes had to be torn down and removed. Some needed extensive repairs and others needed little repairs. My parents mobile home was built in the 2000's. They had a broken window and some damage to their carport and roof. Other than that nothing else got damaged. The community looks totally different now. Most of the pine trees were destroyed by the hurricane. The recreation center was completely redone. My parents love the community and have many friends and are always busy with activities.

Most of the google maps in this area are a couple years old. It gives you a general idea of what the community looks like though.
Thanks TamRE, you know, it's confusing to me ... land owned vs lot rent and all that. I'm used to a single family home where you buy it and own the land it sits on and all is well in paradise. I'll let my husband read about the difference and figure it out and he can explain it to me.

Where does everyone go when there is a weather emergency like a tornado or a hurricane? Are there shelters? Or is it like my husband just told me ... "grab your beer and run like hell... hit the I-75 and drive it like you stole it ... out of the area?"

Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,474,542 times
Quote:
Thanks TamRE, you know, it's confusing to me ... land owned vs lot rent and all that. I'm used to a single family home where you buy it and own the land it sits on and all is well in paradise. I'll let my husband read about the difference and figure it out and he can explain it to me.

Where does everyone go when there is a weather emergency like a tornado or a hurricane? Are there shelters? Or is it like my husband just told me ... "grab your beer and run like hell... hit the I-75 and drive it like you stole it ... out of the area?"
My parents always come to my house when there is a hurricane or when there is a mandatory evacuation of mobile homes. Charlotte County Emergency Management lists the emergency shelters on their web page at Emergency Management. They also post an All Hazards Guide if you want to read it go to: http://www.charlottefl.com/outreach/...zardsGuide.pdf

To search for mobile homes on land owned property go to: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS
To search for mobile homes that are on lot rent sites/communities go to: Mobile Homes For Sale - 29,526 Available to Sell or Rent - 36,834 Communities and Parks

Individuals and Realtors cannot solicit or advertise on City-Data. It is in the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte