U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

518 posts, read 1,041,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
@fiege1224 - can you comment on where to find more info about the proposed south lock on this waterway? I know you've mentioned drawing 5' would be a challenge in South Gulf Cove, but the economics are dictating a $20-$40k max spend on the lot. In fact, as I've mentioned earlier, I actually draw 4'9"...so with marginal tide assist, I think I would be able to manage this waterway...correct? I understand likely having to dredge near the seawall/dock though.

The frustrating thing is that I was hoping to cut my travel time to/from sailing. I currently have to 1.5 hours to go up the new river here in Fort Lauderdale with 4 (on demand) and 2 raised rail bridges. One ornery tender or rail traffic, and its beyond a 2 hour trip...one way! A quick analysis of traversing the Santa Cruz makes me think its ~6.5 nautical miles...and that means an hour run. *UGH*

So, I'm hoping for more info on the south lock!!!

Thanks again for all the great answers and feedback. Really getting excited about cutting the docklines for this next adventure.
Hi, You can read info on South Gulf Cove HOA Inc.. A residential community in Port Charlotte, Florida click on neighborhood news. I see that the lock was turned down again. So you will half to stick to the front section by the lock to cut down your time to harbor. You should call all American boat storage at 941-697-9900 they might have a lot of info about depths out from there shop at the back of the Santa Cruz waterway. They have a large storage lot with a travel all for large boats. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM

155 posts, read 212,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Hi, You can read info on South Gulf Cove HOA Inc.. A residential community in Port Charlotte, Florida click on neighborhood news. I see that the lock was turned down again. So you will half to stick to the front section by the lock to cut down your time to harbor. You should call all American boat storage at 941-697-9900 they might have a lot of info about depths out from there shop at the back of the Santa Cruz waterway. They have a large storage lot with a travel all for large boats. Good luck

Thanks. Just before this post, I found American's website where they have a great write-up of using the waterway to get to their facility here: Placida Boat Storage - Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage - Boat Storage For Sail & Power

They seem to think that 5' can be carried even at low tide. I'll call them to verify.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Hi everyone,

Just following up...we went over to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area this last weekend to check it out. I'm in love with the area. The people were just so friendly. Especially so in Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda seemed a bit more "snobbish"...but a huge improvement over where I am now in SE FLorida. Also, even the "rougher" parts of town were HUGELY better than SE Florida. I've found a job there that is a huge paycut, but should be a big improvement in quality of life. Now the hunt begins in earnest for homes.

I checked out Port Charlotte Beach Complex area, O'Hara, South Gulf Cove, and Punta Gorda Isles neighborhoods. To be honest, I loved South Gulf Cove...except when I got lost in some of the back lots late at night. Boy, that was a bit blair witch! No streetlights and on a near new-moon, it was downright creepy!!!

I think next on the list was Punta Gorda Isles, but affordability is a factor there.

Will give more thought to the other neighborhoods, I loved how soon you can be out on the harbor in the Port CHarlotte Beach Complex area.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM

Also - can people speak to the recent dips in the school grades for the region's high school. Was shocked to see the new high schools even dip...

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM

3,113 posts, read 4,534,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
I loved how soon you can be out on the harbor in the Port CHarlotte Beach Complex area.
We live on a waterway that exits at the beach complex (there are 6 waterways that empty here) and love that it's only 10 min slow-no wake before we can open it up at the beach complex. Quite a few affordable homes on the water around here. One just listed down the street for $145k. Needs some work, but you can't beat the view!
We looked at SGC and with only the one lock at the northern tip of the community, it looked like a good 30 min idle to open water (for an affordable home). No thanks.
Good luck to you, and welcome!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We live on a waterway that exits at the beach complex (there are 6 waterways that empty here) and love that it's only 10 min slow-no wake before we can open it up at the beach complex. Quite a few affordable homes on the water around here. One just listed down the street for $145k. Needs some work, but you can't beat the view!
We looked at SGC and with only the one lock at the northern tip of the community, it looked like a good 30 min idle to open water (for an affordable home). No thanks.
Good luck to you, and welcome!
Is that a sailboat friendly house? Can you PM me the listing or address?

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM

3,113 posts, read 4,534,147 times
Oh, no, there's one 10ft bridge, however, there are quite a few active listings on the MLS for sailboat properties around the beach complex. More expensive though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte