Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 AM

162 posts, read 302,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
One thing i can add. Ive got a customer with a hunter 45' with a 14'beam 5' draft on a canal west of bal harbor in PGI
This I like to hear. Does their boat ever sit on the bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
HarborRat mentioned contacting some of the local sailing clubs. Here is a list of sailing/boat clubs.
Punta Gorda Sailing Club - http://www.pgscweb.com/
Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club - http://www.charlotteharboryachtclub.com/
Isles Yacht Club - http://www.islesyc.com/
Freedom Boat Club - http://freedomboatclub.com/locations/5-punta-gorda-fl

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
That i dont know id ask some clubs also. But near the beach complex in the winter i have seen some larger sailboats leaning over.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM

I emailed the Commodore of the Punta Gorda Sailing Club...lets see where this goes!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Also - another board I read had some mention of a guy that bought a lot in South Gulf Cove with a dock and keeps his boat there, off grid. He owns a house that is not waterfront, but got a lot more for his money that way (and a newer home too)

Has anyone done this here and can speak to the viability of it? How much are wet lots in South Gulf Cove going for nowadays?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
PGI bordered by West Marion, Aqui Esta, Coronado, and Bal Harbor is all pretty deep; there are a lot of big boats moored there. So far, I haven't found a spot under 8 feet, although I'm sure there are those spots at some dead ends. Off our dock is 8 ft at low, winter tide, and it's never been dredged.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
Also - another board I read had some mention of a guy that bought a lot in South Gulf Cove with a dock and keeps his boat there, off grid. He owns a house that is not waterfront, but got a lot more for his money that way (and a newer home too)

Has anyone done this here and can speak to the viability of it? How much are wet lots in South Gulf Cove going for nowadays?
You can do this at South Gulf Cove. A Sailboat lot in the back section can be bought for 20,000 and up. Up by the lock can be bought for 60,000 and up. With a 5ft draw he would have to buy up by the locks on the main channel. Most likely you will have to leave the boat in the water because the power company won't allow you to have power to just a dock without a house on the lot. You could go solar to get around the power issue for the dock. I have thought about doing this since I have lots on the water. But I have never lived off the water in Florida. Just don't think I would like it unless the house was right across the street from my lots.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
You can do this at South Gulf Cove. A Sailboat lot in the back section can be bought for 20,000 and up. Up by the lock can be bought for 60,000 and up. With a 5ft draw he would have to buy up by the locks on the main channel. Most likely you will have to leave the boat in the water because the power company won't allow you to have power to just a dock without a house on the lot. You could go solar to get around the power issue for the dock. I have thought about doing this since I have lots on the water. But I have never lived off the water in Florida. Just don't think I would like it unless the house was right across the street from my lots.
I already have the boat on solar for galvanic isolation (A/C ground connections are a *BAD* idea in neighborhoods where you dont know all the boats) so "off-grid" isn't a problem. What will be a problem is no water onsite to do wash-downs and cleanup of the boat. Even in freshwater canal, the birds, spiders, and other flora/fauna can make a mess. So is it possible to lay water lines but no power?

Any way to get depths in South Gulf Cove? I'll probably go over there with my dinghy and my handheld depth sounder and sound the canals at low tide one of these weekends, but if that could save me the trip.

$60k is more than i thought it would be...considering you can get marina slips/dockominiums with full facilities in the 40-50 ft. range for $30-$45k in Marco Island. Interesting...I guess it is a lot that can have a house on it!!!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
I already have the boat on solar for galvanic isolation (A/C ground connections are a *BAD* idea in neighborhoods where you dont know all the boats) so "off-grid" isn't a problem. What will be a problem is no water onsite to do wash-downs and cleanup of the boat. Even in freshwater canal, the birds, spiders, and other flora/fauna can make a mess. So is it possible to lay water lines but no power?

Any way to get depths in South Gulf Cove? I'll probably go over there with my dinghy and my handheld depth sounder and sound the canals at low tide one of these weekends, but if that could save me the trip.

$60k is more than i thought it would be...considering you can get marina slips/dockominiums with full facilities in the 40-50 ft. range for $30-$45k in Marco Island. Interesting...I guess it is a lot that can have a house on it!!!
The water and sewer works the same as power. No house no water. The tap fees are around 11,000 per lot. There are no tides with locks. The water stays the same all the time except when heavy rains come.I used my dinghy and depth gauge long time ago when I bought some others lots for my sailboat. I now have a cruiser that draws 2.5 ft. and a whaler that draws 1ft. Due to my poor health everything has to be real easy on me to use.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM

@fiege1224 - can you comment on where to find more info about the proposed south lock on this waterway? I know you've mentioned drawing 5' would be a challenge in South Gulf Cove, but the economics are dictating a $20-$40k max spend on the lot. In fact, as I've mentioned earlier, I actually draw 4'9"...so with marginal tide assist, I think I would be able to manage this waterway...correct? I understand likely having to dredge near the seawall/dock though.

The frustrating thing is that I was hoping to cut my travel time to/from sailing. I currently have to 1.5 hours to go up the new river here in Fort Lauderdale with 4 (on demand) and 2 raised rail bridges. One ornery tender or rail traffic, and its beyond a 2 hour trip...one way! A quick analysis of traversing the Santa Cruz makes me think its ~6.5 nautical miles...and that means an hour run. *UGH*

So, I'm hoping for more info on the south lock!!!

Thanks again for all the great answers and feedback. Really getting excited about cutting the docklines for this next adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte