U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,697,779 times

Advertisements

the channel cats here are nasty slimy things. the locals kill them or dont throw them back. my boys use them for crab bait.

as for the stone crabs, this area has them big time. they supply a large amount of what is eaten from these waters. know a guy that takes van loads of them over to the east coast a couple times a week. the people in palm beach love em and pay many times what they cost here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,203,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
the channel cats here are nasty slimy things. the locals kill them or dont throw them back. my boys use them for crab bait.
I've eaten a few of the big regular cats and sail cats out of the harbor, very good! Mullet too! My crab traps usually catch cats on their own, I just put a knife through their brain and leave them in there as bait and food for the crabs already caught. Mullet seems to work better as bait though.

I'm from Jersey too....would never eat a cat from there....never.

There are lots of traps in the harbor and many are stone crab traps. They are very different traps. You can buy 5 plastic SC traps for $100 online. There is a right way and a wrong way to snap off the claw, do it wrong and it will kill the crab, do it right and it will grow back fast. Don't attempt it without learning first, there are many videos on youtube.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,697,779 times
"I'm from Jersey too....would never eat a cat from there....never."

not telling you anything you dont know, but for others, cat fish eat all the crap off the bottom. they serve a purpose other than stealing bait. here the water is much cleaner than up there. up there it would be a dinner of heavy metals and pesticide if you ate a cat fish.

mullett are alot oilier and stinkier. crabs can smell them for miles.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM

58 posts, read 97,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
"I'm from Jersey too....would never eat a cat from there....never."

not telling you anything you dont know, but for others, cat fish eat all the crap off the bottom. they serve a purpose other than stealing bait. here the water is much cleaner than up there. up there it would be a dinner of heavy metals and pesticide if you ate a cat fish.

mullett are alot oilier and stinkier. crabs can smell them for miles.

Well I used to dive the Jersey shore and lobster hunt. Guess where we usually found that delicacy: in rock piles, mostly by sewer line cracks. Lobsters are the cockroaches of the ocean but that hasn't stopped their popularity. Besides, I was never one to want to see the sausage being made just grilled with onions and peppers.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,953 posts, read 2,847,402 times
Mmmmm. Catfish with heavy metals, lobster caught next to sewer pipes, sausage being made.... Now I'm in the mood for some scrapple for breakfast!

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,081,259 times
Happy belated birthday northport !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte