Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,838,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2007 View Post
Punta Gorda was used as a biological warfare test site about 20 years ago, millions of disease infected mosquitos were dumped on the area, and teams of biowarfare engineers from DOD and hired doctors counted how many people got diseases from the mite and disease infected mosquitos.
Similar to the syphiliss muskeegee prisonerss testing,where prisoners were deliberatly infected with syphilis for testing, there was public outcry when knowledge of this testing on punta gorda came out. Supposedly the testing stopped and the area was cleaned up, many people aware of those tests avoid punta gorda, it was like a love canal or chernobyl for a long time.
It was my first instinct to dismiss this as nonsense, but there is actually quite a bit on the internet about it if you just "google" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,274,182 times
Quote:
It was my first instinct to dismiss this as nonsense, but there is actually quite a bit on the internet about it if you just "google" it.
I googled it and yes it's there and appearently 32 towns total but didn't see a list of towns.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Interesting report: http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/li.../cwbw/Ch19.pdf

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
Anything over $100,000, I would not consider "cheap".

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM

331 posts, read 1,540,162 times
Consumer Health Articles: THE LINKING PATHOGEN IN NEURO-SYSTEMIC DISEASES: CHRONIC FATIGUE, ALZHEIMER'S, PARKINSON'S & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

TESTING BRUCELLOSES VIA MOSQUITO VECTOR IN PUNTA GORDA A report from The New England Journal of Medicine, August 22, 1957, p.362 reveals that one of the first outbreaks of chronic fatigue syndrome was in Punta Gorda, Florida, back in 1957. It was a strange coincidence that a week before these people came down with chronic fatigue syndrome, there was a huge influx of mosquitoes. The National Institutes of Health claimed that the mosquitoes came from a forest fire 30 miles away. When the forest fire broke out, the mosquitoes all said, "Well, let's go over to Punta Gorda - there will be a bunch of people over there, we can have a picnic, and then we will go home". The truth is that those mosquitoes were infected in Canada by Dr. J.B. Reed at Queen's University. They were bred in Belleville, Ontario, and taken down and released in Punta Gorda. Within a week, the first five cases ever of chronic fatigue syndrome were reported to the local clinic in Punta Gorda, and it continued until finally 450 people were ill with the disease.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Consumer Health Articles: THE LINKING PATHOGEN IN NEURO-SYSTEMIC DISEASES: CHRONIC FATIGUE, ALZHEIMER'S, PARKINSON'S & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

TESTING BRUCELLOSES VIA MOSQUITO VECTOR IN PUNTA GORDA A report from The New England Journal of Medicine, August 22, 1957, p.362 reveals that one of the first outbreaks of chronic fatigue syndrome was in Punta Gorda, Florida, back in 1957. It was a strange coincidence that a week before these people came down with chronic fatigue syndrome, there was a huge influx of mosquitoes. The National Institutes of Health claimed that the mosquitoes came from a forest fire 30 miles away. When the forest fire broke out, the mosquitoes all said, "Well, let's go over to Punta Gorda - there will be a bunch of people over there, we can have a picnic, and then we will go home". The truth is that those mosquitoes were infected in Canada by Dr. J.B. Reed at Queen's University. They were bred in Belleville, Ontario, and taken down and released in Punta Gorda. Within a week, the first five cases ever of chronic fatigue syndrome were reported to the local clinic in Punta Gorda, and it continued until finally 450 people were ill with the disease.
Interesting. I've had fibromyalgia since about 2000, when I lived in Fort Myers. I could never figure why, at about age 38, I would suddenly get this disease. I wonder. I guess it's something to look into. God knows, I've turned up no other answers.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 29,560 times
Punta Gorda has had one major hurricane in the past 20 years- my parents lived there starting in 1983 when the first boom of The Greatest Generation retired. They started dying off around 1992 or so, many, many houses for sale. Widows didn't want to live alone with families living up north...my mom left to go back North for that reason, so the market was soft for years. It is a beautiful place, but lack of professional jobs unless you are in the medical profession or a teacher. I live in Brevard and the seniors are leaving as well...going to Georgia and N.C. Taxes and hurricane issues are driving people away. We are staying...love the lifestyle.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM

34 posts, read 111,101 times
Default Punta Gorda homeowner

I have lived in PG for 13 yrs. and have had my share of ups and downs. The job market here is horrible... if you are of working age (not yet retired), look elsewhere! If you are retired with a nice nest egg... the area is beautiful and made for you. It is a pretty town. The downtown historic area is wonderful and now with a new Super Wal-Mart and Home Depot in south PG, shopping is much improved. There is a new development called The Loop that will start construction (hopefully) next year that will incorporate shops, restaurants and a large theater close to I-75 and near the new Wal-Mart. The weather in winter is fantastic. In summer it is hot and humid and buggy. No Gulf beaches in Punta Gorda... closest is Englewood Beach. There are pros and cons to every area, but overall, I'd say Punta Gorda is great if you're over 65, dull (especially dead in "off-season" which is April thru November) and with no real job resources if under 65. If you love to boat, fish, sun bathe, eat out, play golf, or garden... you'll love it!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Default Punta Gorda and Turnaround Housing Market

Top 10 turnaround towns - Miami (1) - CNNMoney

About time SW FL gets back on the "place to be" map, eh !

Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,011 times
That's encouraging.
When CBI opens their warehouse near the PG airport and becomes Charlotte County's largest private employer with 600 jobs...that will help things all over Charlotte County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte