U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM

774 posts, read 1,270,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Not at all. Just sick of your open-ended, impossible-to-answer questions. And when people do respond, you NEVER like the answers, so you keep prying like a 10 yr old.
There's a difference between questions that are impossible to answer and questions that YOU can not answer. Also, I don't think you understand what "open-ended" means.

I asked about good and bad neighborhoods in PG/PC. If somebody asked me the same thing about NYC, I'd give them a map that shows them. (Hint: There's nothing "open-ended" here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,270,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Hmmm....ever actually been to Santa Monica? Yes, there are extremely nice areas, but like everyplace else (OK, except LaJolla, maybe), there are plenty of places you wouldn't want to be after dark. There are plenty of areas where RE is 1/2 the price of Santa Monica, yet are much safer; they just don't have a beach, which is the factor driving the property values; being next door to Malibu doesn't hurt either.
Been to SM many times, but never lived there. You found it scary?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,357,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Been to SM many times, but never lived there. You found it scary?
Lived a few miles north of Malibu, and spent quite a bit of time there and in SM. Just my opinion, there is noplace in PC or PG as "scary" as anyplace 4 blocks back from the beach in SM after dark. That doesn't make SM a war zone (pick your own example - Camden, maybe?), just not as small-town secure as PC or PG. Can you find trouble there? Sure, you can always find somebody willing to kick your a** if you insist, but it's pretty unlikely that trouble will come and find you.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,093,870 times
Good Neighbor - me! I always have a cold one ready when you need it!
Bad Neighbor - you! You never let me help you carry your beer in the house.

Good Neighbor - me! Wanta go fishing?!?
Bad Neighbor - you! Whatja mean ya don't wanta clean the fifty pounds of fish I caught?

Good Neighbor - me! I always let my neighbors hear the game blaring from my house (even across the canal!)
Bad Neighbor - you! When I invite you over to watch the game, your wife talks about book club the whole time!

Good Neighbor - me! I do funny stuff, like pour water on your leg when your not paying attention to me!
Bad Neighbor - you! You have NO SENSE of humor!

Everyone loves a good neighbor!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,953 posts, read 2,846,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Good Neighbor - me! I do funny stuff, like pour water on your leg when your not paying attention to me!
That "water" isn't Yuengling that's already passed through your kidneys, is it?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM

5 posts, read 5,277 times
OMG!! When I finally do move to PC/PG I'm gonna have to buy Big House a case or three of Yuengling black & tan (had my first one in PA about 20 yrs ago) and ask him to go fishin with me! Then we can tell some stories!! Hell, I'll even bring my ole man with me to chaperone...(gonna need an extra case for him!) Sorry, off topic!!

Big House = Good Neighbor (just lock your beer up first)

Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,093,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_man View Post
OMG!! When I finally do move to PC/PG I'm gonna have to buy Big House a case or three of Yuengling black & tan (had my first one in PA about 20 yrs ago) and ask him to go fishin with me! Then we can tell some stories!! Hell, I'll even bring my ole man with me to chaperone...(gonna need an extra case for him!) Sorry, off topic!!

Big House = Good Neighbor (just lock your beer up first)
LOL
I don't know how many of my stories you've heard or read, but you have a long way to catch up!
Its good to know someone that has good taste in beer! That's also very important!

;-)

Oh, and on this board, Fishing and Beer is never off subject when we are talking about Florida Living!!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM

12 posts, read 15,180 times
Wow. I thought this was a post about Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda neighborhoods. What's with all the comments about California? LOL

Anyway... I'll answer the OP since I know nothing about Cali...

Charlotte Harbor is a bad neighborhood. There are some good people living there and a few of the area's oldest homes, but there's definitely a crime element. This continues in varying degrees north into Port Charlotte to Midway Blvd. Another bad spot is the Murdock Circle apartments.

In Punta Gorda, the area around the schools is referred to as cracktown but it's not too bad immediately around the schools. You have to go farther out from them. The Pines of Punta Gorda apartments, I think it's called something else now, is also a bad spot. They and Murdock Circle do a lot of positive review work on the internet to try to make them seem other than how they are but all you have to do is talk to people who have lived there to know it's not a safe or clean place to live.

Mind you, almost all the neighborhoods are occupied by people who aren't interested in having a neighborly relationship with you. You will rarely find people who will want to even wave back at you, let alone talk to you and *gasp* be a friend. It's downright ridiculous. So big houses don't always make good neighbors but privacy fences can make good neighbors. Boy, I sure wish we'd had a privacy fence when we lived next door to SpeedoMan and his league of one night stands!

Frankly, I really like the Jockey Club in North Port. It's a good neighborly type of neighborhood with sidewalks and a nice community center that's designed for all ages. North Port is Sarasota County, though, and while it's just a bit north, it puts you in a different municipal jurisdiction, different tax situation, different school district and so on.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM

181 posts, read 401,811 times
Don't forget Deep Creek, which I believe is a very nice area. Why? because I have a condo there There's always a debate on whether Deep Creek is part of Punta Gorda as it is on the other side of the Peace River. We have a Punta Gorda zip (33983) so that settles it for me. But heck, there are parts of Port Charlotte that I really don't like.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM

10,814 posts, read 15,114,463 times
Deep Creek is in unincorporated Punta Gorda, and you're lucky to have a PG zip code to maintain PG credibility. On the "other side" of the bridge kinda' like the other side of the tracks. It's really in Port Charlotte, Charlotte County, unincorporated PG. But they all love to say they live in PG ...

As soon as you come over the bridge from downtown Punta Gorda heading north, you can feel the difference as you first go up Rt. 41, take a right on King's Highway and into Port Charlotte that way, eventually to Sandhill Blvd. etc. and Deep Creek (which, to me, is nothing to write home about). Drive from the bridge to North Port along the Tamiami Trail (41) to see the sights.

Likes: One or two restaurants in downtown PG, Publix, winter weather only, summer is like hell on earth and seems to never end; traffic is fairly "normal" in winter, stores aren't as crowded with rude transplants and pushy Canadians that drive like there's no tomorrow. The "mall" at Murdock Circle is pathetic. If you want beach, you need to go up to Venice or Manasota Key, the closest. Or haul up to Siesta Key, Lido, etc. if you have the time and don't mind the traffic. If you like fast food you'll be in Fast Food Heaven, ugh. If I ever get a hankering for FL again, which I rather doubt!, I can rent Jan/Feb/March, in the north of FL, St. Augustine, closer to the "USA". Nice place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte