U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,208,883 times

Advertisements

I have to pick up a boat in Englewood and take it through Lemon Bay and ICW to the harbor, then up to my house in PC. The aerials look shallow through that ICW, so is there any first hand advice making that part of the trip?

I have a GPS, Boat US etc...just never been in that area. Once I hit the harbor i'm fine and know the cuts and shallows.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,017,909 times
I've made that trip many times. The ICW s well marked but electronics help.
Would you like a co-pilot? No charge. I'd love to show you the way and troll a line thru the low wake zones. I have a handheld GPS to guideus, as well. I'm only avail on weekends tho.

Watch out for the low wake zones, they love to write tickets there...

Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM

3,120 posts, read 4,568,762 times
Stay between the markers on the ICW and you'll be just fine.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,085,148 times
as said no problem ive had a 30" draft all the way just stay inside the markers.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if it was marked well or not. Sounds like it is, good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I've made that trip many times. The ICW s well marked but electronics help.
Would you like a co-pilot? No charge. I'd love to show you the way and troll a line thru the low wake zones. I have a handheld GPS to guideus, as well. I'm only avail on weekends tho.

Watch out for the low wake zones, they love to write tickets there...
Thanks much for the offer MA! I wouldn't do that to you though...if it was a familiar boat I trusted you are welcome any time, but this boat hasn't moved in years and I might not even make it far from the dock before deciding to turn around. I have to decide before I leave it's canal whether it is seaworthy enough for the trip, and even if it is I doubt it will be a trouble-free trip . I've got plenty of back-ups and plan B's just in case. I have to do it tomorrow, the weekend weather looks like it gets worse. It's a pontoon boat, so I hope the harbor stays calm enough.

I'll have 2 handheld GPS's, 2 cellphones with google maps/gps, 2 hard copy charts, an auxiliary tank in case the main fuel tank/lines/filter have a problem, 25 gallons of fresh gas in cans, plenty of tools, extra battery and jump box, and of course...3 paddles and a Boat US membership My GF is looking forward to it...I'm looking forward to making it home!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,017,909 times
You'll be fine. Have fun and enjoy the ride. Have her troll a silver spoon behind you and see what bites.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:15 AM

3,577 posts, read 5,831,613 times
as HH will laughingly confirm I am the biggest novice boater but even I venture up the ICW. last sunday we went up to Stump Pass to beach then headed back via Rum Bay. as everyone has said stay between the markers and you will be fine. you do have to veer 45 degrees at two points -right at green 13 and head to red 12 just after rum bay entrance then as you get towards the bridge going to Boca go 45 Right at marker (green 25 ) and keep an eye out for 24a and 24. then you are fine.

we were out last sunday and in the spot of water between the Boca bridge and the old railway bridge there were about a dozen dolphins feeding , it was amazing, we floated watching them for a good 45 mins

oh and dont forget to stop by white pelican island

Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Well we made it. As everyone said the channel is fine....but getting into that channel from the side canal near Redfish cove area was near impossible for someone without knowledge of the unmarked cuts. Soft grounded there twice before finding the right deep spot to get to the markers. After that the markers were great all the way down the ICW. The wind kicked up while passing the Myakka in the harbor and the whitecaps slowed me to almost a crawl for an hour...in freezing cold wind.

It was "only" a 40 mile trip but I couldn't trust a boat that was sitting so long hanging from davits un-started, with some old gas still left in the tank. The 4-stroke EFI outboard ran pretty darn good though, and made it in under 10 gallons. With the blue water and all the dolphins and pelicans it will be a trip I make again for sure, just in better weather!

Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,473 times
Good to hear HR. I know what its like. Took a 47'er from the Calloosahachee to the Chesapeake bay in '01 and never drove it until we left. Didn't know how to use the radar, horn didn't work, spotlight wouldn't turn (found about that coming into Marco Is after dark) plus had a big hole in the exhaust in the engine room I had a couple band clamps and heat tape on. 1600 miles! Can remember trying to figure out the auto pilot in Daytona and she took a hard right almost on a sand bar. It makes us stronger! Good luck and see ya on the harbor!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM

1600 miles..yeah, with an unknown boat my butt would be puckered up the whole way. In my younger days I would do it in a heartbeat without a care in the world. I must be getting old and wise...or just turning into a wimp.

From what I've read on here I pass your house all the time on the way to my friends dock....lookout for a Sun Tracker white/red pontoon that is filthy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte