U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 AM

695 posts, read 959,684 times

Advertisements

So, GVM came out to template the kitchen & poolbath counters...granite counters coming Friday.
Ordered new kitchen sink and new vessel sink with faucets off Amazon (gotta love being a Amazon Prime member)

AlphaSprayFoam came out, looked at attic...got estimate for sealing the attic with foam (sprayed on underside of trusses). They come out in May. Then Love's A/C comes out to replace the 11 year old outside coil rotting on bottom A/C unit.

I just ordered 45 InsoFast panels to insulate my garage next weekend. Whew..not enough time OR money lately...lol.

Was going to build a greener home..guess I'll just "green-up" this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM

70 posts, read 79,885 times
Congrats Army!!! Hopefully everything will go smoothly!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Hope so....so far all the mentioned above have been polite, punctual and professional!
Of course it goes without mention all the work I've been and will be doing

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
AlphaSprayFoam came out, looked at attic...got estimate for sealing the attic with foam (sprayed on underside of trusses). They come out in May.
Just curious, what is the attic sealing for? An attic is designed to move air (fresh air from under the soffit, and travel up the roofline, and taking the hot air out the vent cap). I can understand sealing/insulating above the ceilings to minimize air escaping to the attic, but what does spraying the trusses do?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Harbor,

Sealing the attic by spraying the ruff trusses al the way down to knee walls (locking off and sealing soffits and roof ridge vents), turns attic into conditioned space. It also keeps the hot, humid air from ever entering your home (along with critters and other things..dust..also think can lights, ceiling speakers..etc..etc). The biggest advantage is also sealing up air leaks into your home, living space. Keeping air changes per hour down in the home..keeps the air you pay to condition in your home..not flowing outside.

Air conditioners can be downsized do to the thermal advantages and the decrease in the air changes we discussed above. Downsizing the A/C unit in itself also saves energy.

Since the attic is now considered conditioned space (typically no more than 6-10 degrees warmer than your living area). Your HVAC ductwork is now not in 140+ degree air..hence even if you develop duct leakage (many HVAC installers do not tape and mastic properly from the start...let alone after a few years)...your leaking into conditioned space..not a hot attic. Your duct temperatures will be lower also..since your not losing temperature in the hot attic.

Lastly, you can store stuff up in the attic and not worry about heat, humidity and bugs. Oh, can run wiring without the fiberglass batting on the ceiling.

Hope that helps..if not..let me know..I could talk this stuff all day

Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM

70 posts, read 79,885 times
We were told it also helps with insurance because it helps to hold the roof together in a hurricane.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlady762 View Post
We were told it also helps with insurance because it helps to hold the roof together in a hurricane.
I was told that too...read it in ICF magazine. However, when I called around to insurance companies..they had no idea what I was talking about and could find no deduction for it.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,958 posts, read 2,857,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlady762 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I was told that too...read it in ICF magazine. However, when I called around to insurance companies..they had no idea what I was talking about and could find no deduction for it.
When we were building our house in Maryland, I did some research on spraying the entire house. Supposedly the closed cell foam sprayed in a 2x4 wall cavity is stronger than a 2x6 wall w/ fiberglass bats. Unfortunately it was priced way out of our budget. Hopefully prices have come down some since then (2006).

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,111,962 times
Did you have the old insulation removed prior to having the attic sprayed and sealed off?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM

MikMal,

Prices have come down..I opted for open cell, just cause closed cell was almost double and my ROI would be too long. It's 5 inches or R19, vs. 3 inches of closed cell. So,I get same R-value as the closed cell...but I lose the vapor barrier and added structural strength the closed cell would add. I still get the benefit of sealing the attic.

Big House,

Yes, the price included them removing all the old fiberglass, vacuuming up that area before spraying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte