U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,741 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I wanted some advice regarding high schools in the area. I want to send my daughter to a school that is ethnically mixed for the most part. I am not racist, I just feel that she needs to be around a wide variety of students from different races and back grounds. I am moving from ny, I am also wondering which areas are diverse(not racist), and are good for a single black woman with two children ages 21 and 13. Thank you in advance. Oh are there any areas that i should avoid or that are nice to live in. I am not rich, just looking for a decent area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM

137 posts, read 270,118 times
you can start by checking out the websites for the local school districts (Sarasota and North Port are in Sarasota County, Port Charlotte is in Charlotte County) at www.sarasotacountyschools.net and www.yourcharlotteschools.net

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM

695 posts, read 959,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly302 View Post
Hello all,
I am not rich, just looking for a decent area.
Has nothing to do about rich or poor. To emit is value for your dollar. I make pretty good money...but I choose to live in North Port for some of the same reasons as you. I have Sarasota County schools, less money for a newer home and no HOA's. It's quiet and close to the interstate. So, I have ore money left over to enjoy life with my Family. My son would goto Toledo Blade Elementary and then Woodland Middle...both very nice schools based off my research and driving to the schools.

Good luck and hope to see you down here one day. There are some great people on this board, some are real estate agents and would be glad to assist you. About areas to stay away...that going to depend on the reasons.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM

3,120 posts, read 4,571,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly302 View Post
Hello all,

I wanted some advice regarding high schools in the area. I want to send my daughter to a school that is ethnically mixed for the most part. I am not racist, I just feel that she needs to be around a wide variety of students from different races and back grounds. I am moving from ny, I am also wondering which areas are diverse(not racist), and are good for a single black woman with two children ages 21 and 13. Thank you in advance. Oh are there any areas that i should avoid or that are nice to live in. I am not rich, just looking for a decent area.
You may want to use the search function, as there have been many many threads regarding schools and diverse areas.
Your 21yr old adult is moving with you?? Might want to do a thorough job search and get jobs secured prior to moving. Good ones that pay well are hard to come by.
Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM

3,961 posts, read 8,528,595 times
Are you looking to purchase a home or rent? Do you have a job in the area? Have you ever visited the area? Location might depend on your affordable price range. Port Charlotte and North Port are less expensive than Sarasota. North Port is in Sarasota County and your 13 year old would go to North Port High School. If you chose Port Charlotte which is in Charlotte County your 13 year old would go to Port Charlotte High School. You can go to the web sites to read about the schools, their ethnicity and ratings.

Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home
North Port High School - North Port High, Sarasota County Schools
Charlotte County Schools - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page
Port Charlotte High School - Port Charlotte High School

You can search for homes and rentals on the MLS site at: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,680,996 times
I live in Port Charlotte, close to PCHS. Our exchange students (from Germany and Spain) have fit in no problem; it seems fairly diverse to me. I see students of different races, etc. Port Charlotte itself is diverse; you can find demographic info here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Port-C...e-Florida.html And if you go to city-data.com, you can put in the other cities that you're interested in, too.

Where you live depends on your budget and where you work, though... do you have a job here yet? If you'll be working in Sarasota, you might have a drive of an hour, depending on traffic.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,741 times
Wow, thank you all for your quick replies and responses, I wasn't even sure I posted correctly. I will take a look at all the websites you all listed. Take care all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte