Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all -
We are a married couple with a dog, preparing for our upcoming retirement. We have been watching the forum for months, anticipating our future relocation from the Pittsburgh area to beautiful Port Charlotte. We will be building on our waterfront lot in Gulf Cove. We have read every post and have come to know some of you through your postings. You have a wealth of knowledge and have provided valuable tips and brought to mind things we never thought of. As we prepare for this big move, we wonder what tips those of you that have gone through this relocation process may have for us? In terms of the actual relocation process - What lessons have you learned? What should we definitely do? What should we definitely avoid? What would you do differently if you were doing it again? Your insight is appreciated and we look forward to getting to know all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,355,512 times
Welcome to the forum!!

My biggest wish I had done is wish I had moved sooner! But, we had to wait for retirement like most. I wish I had left the bulk of the winter clothes up North, in almost two years I wore jeans twice and a jacket maybe three times!

I think the big thing for me was "trusting" trades here, they all sound so wonderful but they are not all created equal. Before hiring anyone to do anything, check them out, ask neighbors, ask on here. There are some that just want your money.

Again, welcome!!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,493,078 times
We rented a Penske truck, loaded our stuff and brought it down. We hired a couple of guys when we got here to help us unload. My boyfriends cousin drove one vehicle and they towed my car behind the Penske truck. We rented the truck online and got a AAA membership discount. I flew down ahead of time to start my new job.

Plan everything ahead of time. Things you will need to do when you get here - get drivers license and registration, register to vote, apply for homestead exemption, go to vet and license your dog.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM

27 posts, read 55,986 times
Moved here from Pittsburgh in 2009. My best advice is to get rid of anything you haven't used in the last year. Like a previous post, I wish I had moved here sooner. When it comes to local trades, check with neighbors, a trusted local business, or municipal worker to find a trusted business to hire. Check for local permit requirements for all things. Welcome to the forum and I know you enjoy things down here. Beats all that ice/snow and months of grey dreary skies.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM

697 posts, read 1,163,627 times
If your married....good luck "getting rid of stuff". My wife broke mine and friends back with stuff we HAD bring. Now that we are moving in, it's..well..we can sell this, sell that..give this, give that.....I just look at her and growl.

You stated you were building a house. If you've never built in Florida....you can see the previous comments about trades....multiply that frustration times 10 when building. Typical builders, to maintain a price point and profit margin will typically outsource trades to the cheapest installer or one they will pay below their normal asking rate. This typically results in less than desirable results.

Be at you lot almost daily..take pictures, do a walk through BEFORE drywall. Maybe even pay a few hundred dollars to a GOOD, knowledgeable inspector to look at your home BEFORE drywall and after HVAC install. Get SprayFoam insulation in the attic (closed cell if you can afford it)

That's about all for now...HTH

Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 AM

15 posts, read 33,183 times
We are both in agreement on selling almost everything and starting out new in Florida. He does have more "stuff" than I do though! Tools and more tools!

We do plan to be there during construction. My husband has extensive building experience himself, so that will work in our favor during the actual construction. We're going to try to find a rental down there so we can be onsite the whole time.

We are doing open cell in the attic. Did you get yours in and are you satisfied with the work?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM

5,102 posts, read 4,865,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Cove North View Post
We are both in agreement on selling almost everything and starting out new in Florida. He does have more "stuff" than I do though! Tools and more tools! .....
Now wait a minute. Tools should be off limits when it comes to selling stuff!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 33,183 times
Believe me, he shares your sentiment!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,355,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Now wait a minute. Tools should be off limits when it comes to selling stuff!
Tools were off limits for selling for us. Our 26 foot Uhaul was mostly tools, hubby wasn't parting with those, it took him a lifetime to accumulate them. So if anyone wants to build an airplane, we still have the tools!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 AM

697 posts, read 1,163,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Cove North View Post

We are doing open cell in the attic. Did you get yours in and are you satisfied with the work?

Thanks!
We are getting ours in about three weeks....I'll let ya know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte