U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:48 AM

77 posts, read 38,322 times
Default Friendly community? General vibe of area?

It seems you are friendly on this forum, but how would you rate how friendly the community is, especially to outsiders moving in? I have heard it is really hard to make friends, which seems weird because most f you come from somewhere else. Without a ton of family in FL, we hope to get involved and meet friendly, ethical people and be active members of a community. What is your take? Any suggestions on getting involved in the community? Mother's groups? Activities? What is the overall vibe of the area? Laid-back, casual, friendly is what hope is true for this area.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-24-2013, 08:56 AM

3,013 posts, read 2,766,661 times
When we moved here from NY we quickly made friends with our neighbors. We go out to breakfast and dinner and get together to play cards. We also joined the Corvettes of Charlotte County Club and have met really wonderful people that we will be lifelong friends with. We go to car events and shows, meet at each others houses for parties, go on picnics, go out for breakfast or dinner, and go on day and overnight trips. If you join a club or group you will certainly be able to meet people that are from all over. They are in the same position as you and are happy to meet friends do things together. Here is a meetup group that you could join - The PG 30-50s group (Punta Gorda, FL) - Meetup

If you belong to a church or other social organization you can meet people too. If you live in Punta Gorda you could join the Punta Gorda Isles Civic Assocation - Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association. You could also volunteer with groups such as the Animal Welfare League or EARS if you like pets. There are a lot of medical type organizations/charities to volunteer with too. If you look around there are plenty of ways to meet people, but you won't do it just sitting at home.

If you live in a deed restricted community where they have social gatherings you can meet people too.

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
853 posts, read 387,176 times
Maybe I lucked out in buying in the neighborhood that I did in PC, but I've found nearly everyone extremely friendly and open. Even when exploring the area around PC/PG before buying, everyone that we met while simply driving around and stopping when we saw someone outside was eager to share their views and welcoming. I still find it refreshing, since after living in the metro Wash. DC / Balto area for 25+ years I never got used to the attitude of "you're invading my personal world".

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM

2 encouraging replies. I like that! Great ideas and link to that meetup group, Tam RE. Thanks! And thanks, MikMal for your view as well. :-)

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 630,372 times
I have found that people here are friendlier than they are up north. With little kids, you could join the MOMS club... I did that when mine were little. It's a group of moms that gets together twice per week, so you have regular playdates with the same people. Or just show up on a nice day to one of the more popular parks, and you will run into another mom with littles. When we moved into this house two neighbors came over to welcome us, one bringing us dinner that she cooked and another with a welcome basket. You'll make friends, don't worry!

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:55 AM

OK. This is encouraging. Thanks!

Unread 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM

557 posts, read 432,739 times
Oh, don't ever say 'This isn't how we did it up north' unless you are sure they are not from FL. Once you know that, you can share a laugh on how some things are done here.
Been here 14 months and made a handful of friends. I don't need a lot but met a few here on CD. We only keep a few close knit friends regardless where we are.

You have good recommendations above.

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the tip, daFrogMan! Hahaha. We are good with a few close friends here and would be there too. Now go enjoy your paradise......my husband is out shovelling the steps.......again.

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM

84 posts, read 87,808 times
You have to keep in mind that most (not all) people have moved here from another state. When you move down here everyone has a story to tell about "up north". These people have all been in the same boat you're in! I think people down here are generally friendly. You might have to go out of your way to make friends by joining activity groups, but I think that's to be expecting in any new community you move to. You'll love Florida!

Unread 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM

557 posts, read 432,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nic View Post
Thanks for the tip, daFrogMan! Hahaha. We are good with a few close friends here and would be there too. Now go enjoy your paradise......my husband is out shovelling the steps.......again.
Thanks. I did. Between the storms I was fishing on the dock in the backyard. Didn't catch anything but this was after our 17 crabapalooza this afternoon. 13 keepers in the pots (s) and 4 caught with a net on our seawall.

Shovelling? Oh I still remember it! Brrrrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte