Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM

697 posts, read 1,163,290 times

Advertisements

Well, everyone here has been so great in advising me on other things. I thought I'd ask about this. I did do a search and was surprised to to see but one post.

Well systems are new to me. I have even doing much research online and YouTube about the care, maint and description of operation. However, I believe I am still lacking.

I have a well up p that goes to a bladder tank, a 40/60 pressure switch, then to an aerator. The aerator has a chlorine injector tank that sprays a chlorine mixture when the aerator float level drops..signaling water to be fed into the tank. From there I have a water softener and lastly another tank like the water softener that I was told is a carbon filter to remove the chlorine (it back washes just like the water softener does).

I know to check the bladder tanks with no water pressure and set to 2-3 psi below my pressure ditch cut ins (40 psi..so set to 37-38 psi). I know I need to add salt to the brine tank..keeping it 1/2 to 2/3 full. (however, how do I know what type of salt. A video on you tube from Cape Coral/fort Myers talks about different color bags depending on where you live. They also talk about adding bleach OR citric acid to the salt tank)....do I ..and which type?

Then there's the chlorine tank...what type..where's the least expensive place to purchase and do I add water? How do I test the concentration in the aerator? Can I use my pool testing kit for a certain chlorine level?

Lastly, how do I know if the carbon media in my last carbon filter needs to be replaced? Where do I purchase?

I'm assuming based off the lack of post on this subject, most may pay a company to perform some of this. However, I like to know my home and it's equipment and do my own PMCS (Preventative Maint, checks and service)...old habits dies hard

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
Chief..give Kenny or Rachel a call at Titanz Plumbing they may be able to help or advise 941 875 9669

Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM

5,100 posts, read 4,861,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
.... how do I know what type of salt. A video on you tube from Cape Coral/fort Myers talks about different color bags depending on where you live. They also talk about adding bleach OR citric acid to the salt tank)....do I ..and which type?

Then there's the chlorine tank...what type..where's the least expensive place to purchase and do I add water? How do I test the concentration in the aerator? Can I use my pool testing kit for a certain chlorine level?

Lastly, how do I know if the carbon media in my last carbon filter needs to be replaced? Where do I purchase?

Thanks
I have city water here, but from my experience in Maryland, I would buy the green bags of salt that are for iron reduction. Seeing the amount of houses and driveways around here that are stained from their irrigation wells, I would think they have the same issue here (high iron content).

I had a choline injector pump too, but it sounds a bit different then yours. I would buy the chlorine at a water treatment store. Definitely not the same concentration as chlorine bleach you can buy in a supermarket; much stronger. After adding chlorine and water to my chlorine tank, it was a matter of trial and error in dialing the pump up or down, depending on taste or odor of the water.

My media filter got recharged with media every 3-4 years since it's only two of us in the house. We let a water treatment company handle that.

I thought I remember reading a post within the past year that talked pretty extensively on water treatments. I wonder if it was under a different subject and just morphed into a discussion on water??

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Sunshine,

I will call them...I just don't want to pay for a service if I don't need too. I don't mind learning..if someone can point me to a source. Hard to believe it is so hard to find info on this (I've Google'd for hours).

MikMal,

Thanks...since I don't know what the past customer did for service of the media, I have read you can tell by pressure drop across the media and doing a water sample. I was wonder if I needed to buy a different kit...or since we are testing for chlorine out of the final charcoal filter..maybe I could use my pool chlorine drops test kit.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,489,790 times
There are a bunch of videos on youtube that explain how to operate and take care of the entire system. Start here and you can go through the list of how to maintain, clean, test, etc.

How to maintain your aerator and water softener. How to maintain your aerator and water softener - YouTube

Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,680,475 times
When we had a well, we had to scrub out the aerator periodically and add salt to the softener... Bill from Certain Water Services was excellent and his prices are very reasonable. I've also called him for advice when I saw something leaking or looking "not quite right," and he advised me over the phone.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,354,624 times
Reliable well services has walked hubby through a few issues over the phone. Very helpful and nice people. Once every few months we pressure wash the holding tank and we put salt in the softener. Pretty much low maintenance. We don't have the chlorine dispenser that you have.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Reliable was great. They sent a guy out when we were looking to buy. I just don't want to call a company and say, "hey, I like to do all my own service. Can you tell me what I need to do". Like I posted above....I've researched most of what I need to do..it's the how on a few pieces and the adjustment of chlorine I need assistance with. Still no one has mentioned if. Can use my pool chlorine tester to adjust the chlorine.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM

5,100 posts, read 4,861,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
.... Still no one has mentioned if. Can use my pool chlorine tester to adjust the chlorine.
I would think that the choline in your pool should be at a much higher level. You shouldn't be smelling the chlorine in your drinking water, nor should it dry your skin like pool water does. I did find a publication from the CDC on chlorine in drinking water that addresses different testing methods, including using a pool test kit. I just glanced at the report; not read through it.
http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/publica...neresidual.pdf

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks MikMal...I will read that document.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte