Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Fox...great to see you posting. When in KW we stay at the Double Tree Grand Key resort.
It's not "on the water" but it's a first rate place with beautiful rooms, balconies overlooking a huge pool area, terrific breakfasts and cabana bar. They have hourly free shuttles that take you to two different stops on both ends of downtown, so you can leave you car in their parking lot and not hassle with finding parking. At least one day, you and Mrs. Fox should rent a scooter for the day. It's about $45 for a double seater and you keep it for 24 hours. There's plenty of places to park scooters down there for free and it's a blast riding all around the island.

Here's a copy of some prior advice I gave about driving down to the keys:

We have made the drive about a dozen times in the past 3 years. It's fun to bring first time visitors on the drive, cut off of I-75 at SR 29 and go US41 through the Everglades. We stop at the Big Cypress Preserve to see alligators in the wild, then go Krome Avenue all the way through Old Homestead to Florida City and the Overseas Highway.

From Key Largo down, it's 110 miles of the Atlantic on your left and the Gulf on your right.
We like to spend the first night in either Key Largo or Islamorada. See where Jimmy Ray is playing live and go see him! Don't fail to stop at the Islamorada Fish Company restaurant and see the Tarpon get fed each night at sundown. Stroll into the birthplace of Bass Pro Shop at the Worldwide Sportsman, on the same grounds as the Fish Co.

Day 2 we continue south on US1, checking out some of the markers memorializing Spanish ships that went down 500 years ago just off these shores. Stop at Robbie's Marina and hand feed 200 pound Tarpon that come right up to you from the Gulfside or just watch others do it and take pictures in awe!

Just before Marathon, turf off at the hidden gem that it Key Colony Beach. Stop into the Sparky's Landing for some fish tacos for lunch or just enjoy the 99 cent peel/eat shrip with a cold beer. Don't get back on the highway before you cruise through KCB to Sunset Park; stroll the pier and dream of how the "other side" lives. See standard quarter acre empty lots that sell for a half million dollars. (I don't think the recession happened in KCB).

Finally, you get to Key West! Park at the Waffle House, then use the crosswalks to enter the center median of US 1 so your guests can get a photo standing under the Welcome to Key West, Paradise USA sign.

While there, leave your car at the hotel and spend $65 per 24 hours for a motorized scooter. It's the ONLY way to get around and see it all. What is it all?

Schooner Wharf Bar, noon to 5 you MUST hear Michael McCloud sing his stories.
Mallory Square for the nightly sunset celebration.
Mel Fisher treasure museum (Today's the Day!)
Hemingway House
Southernmost Point
The original Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurant and Bar
Find another of my favorite KW musical geniuses, Scott Kirby and spend an evening listening and dreaming with his songs. (he tours a lot, so check his website...he plays many venues in KW when not on tour).

Okay...I could go on all night. We love the Keys! I love the water, I cherish the bars but most I miss the music...

When it's all over, you have a looooooong drive back home. We usually go straight through to get it done with. Beware that holiday weekends are a beeeeotch! Memorial Day Monday took us 9 hours to get home.
That was not only great reading but just plain good stuff! Thanks MA, I'm getting a little slow right now with business so we might have a chance to kick BH' s butt fishin'.
Thanks again for all the great suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM

463 posts, read 866,728 times
second ocean key resort

Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks pcozad1 I'll check that out too. I like the idea of renting a condo, not quite sure where to begin with that option though?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
The Marriott, which is right near the Southermost motel, is nice, clean and close enough to the action to walk yet far enough from the crazies at night. Private pool and beach too.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
The Marriott, which is right near the Southermost motel, is nice, clean and close enough to the action to walk yet far enough from the crazies at night. Private pool and beach too.
I've been checking things out, and have not checked that yet, will do. Also checking condo's that seems to be a viable option as well per someone's suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte