Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times

Advertisements

We lived in Naples for 20 years then moved out of state. My elderly parents need my help and they cant relocate. My son is okay w transferring yo FGCU in fort Myers and is moving into their Naples condo until my house is sold here. Myself and my younger kids will be going... problem I was very unhappy in Naples. Its beautiful to visit but it never felt like home. My house budget is between 120000 n 150000. I work from home. I will probably be with my parents helping them w food shopping cleaning errands several times a week. My son likes the estates n we love to raise chickens... garden...and we have two large dogs. Not looking to pay how fees....where to live where there's more to do...kid friendly... within an hour....cape coral has too many restrictions...east coast too far...not crazy about fort Myers....want a bike friendly lively downtown where there is a mix....downtown Naples is too snooty for us...but beautiful...just not for us.
P.S. Are dogs allowed at beaches or parks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM

137 posts, read 331,233 times
The cost of housing will be much less in Port Charlotte than in Naples. If you're looking in PC you can also look in North Port where you have a better chance of finding a newer home. You should also check out Punta Gorda....part of Punta Gorda is north of the Peace River and the historical downtown area is south of the river.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
In your price range you won't find much in Naples. Your best choices would be Port Charlotte or North Port. If you want to have chickens, then your choices will be very limited. You would need to look more out in the country such as Charlotte Ranchettes or North Port Estates. In both of these areas you won't have a bike friendly downtown area. Punta Gorda Isles has a downtown bike friendly area, but there will not be much in your price range. The city of North Port has bike paths and there are shopping centers, medical facilities, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Port Charlotte doesn't really have much biking other than at a park or on the regular roads. Naples is a much more congested area with traffic than Port Charlotte.

There are a few dog friendly beaches in Florida. The closest to this area would be one in Venice and one in Ft. Myers. Here is a link: Top 10 Dog Beaches in Florida

There are a few parks that allow dogs, but not all of them. There are some actual dog parks around too.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
I just posted on the other thread.
If your parents live in the Naples area. Then you should look in Ft. Myers or Cape Coral and areas south. Port Charlotte and North Port are way to far to travel on a regular / semi-regular basis.

Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks Step, TamRe, and Bighouse . . . I know the price of gas will kill me . . . but not sure if it will be much better from Cape Coral . . . I really want to be there for them, I am the only child. I want them to live with me . . I want to buy a house and for them to sell their condo, and move in with us.

As it is I am leaving my husband who is very understanding of my responsibility, in another state, as he has a local business that he is doing okay with, and the business is not transferrable to another state, otherwise he would have to start from scratch, he owns a locksmith/security camera/home alarm business.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM

They only have a two bedroom condo, so it's not like me and the kids could move in . . . sorry, just want my kids to grow up in a good environment, good schools . . .family oriented, but My parents have been the best parents and grandparents, so generous, kind . . . and I can't turn my back on them . .. I hear Cape Coral . . and Ft. Myers is worse now than when I left . . . we don't need to raise chickens down there, that was just to describe how we like to do what we want on our property . . . any place else I can look in that area?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I dont think Cape Coral or Ft Myers are bad at all. There are many very nice areas there. This would be an easy drive to Naples for you.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I dont think Cape Coral or Ft Myers are bad at all. There are many very nice areas there. This would be an easy drive to Naples for you.
Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte