Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM

241 posts, read 478,209 times

Advertisements

Never thought I would buy insurance online, but after shopping around and getting non answers to my questions, I went with Farmers online. They only do car insurance in Florida though so I couldn't bundle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,889,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
It was a shock for us (from MI) too, but not double or triple. Maybe 30% higher and as ArmyChief said, someone (we) have to subsidize the a$$hats that drive without insurance. Not to mention the higher accident rate caused by elderly folks that can barely see and should've had their licenses revoked 20 years ago!
That was my initial thought too. Until, that is, I spent my first "season" here. This past winter there was a streak of days where everyday that I was out I witnessed someone running a red light. I was surprised to see that it was mostly younger people running the lights, not the elders. Now I'm not too sure it's just the older folks to blame.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,973,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
That was my initial thought too. Until, that is, I spent my first "season" here. This past winter there was a streak of days where everyday that I was out I witnessed someone running a red light. I was surprised to see that it was mostly younger people running the lights, not the elders. Now I'm not too sure it's just the older folks to blame.
Nope, definitely not just the elders to blame, and I wasn't. We also have an abundant population of irresponsible younger folks that simply don't care about anyone but themselves, and this includes those on the road. I am constantly scanning the road for morons while I'm driving, especially when I have my family with me in the truck.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM

14,869 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea.lass View Post
Since we have our house insurance with UPC, I thought we could bundle our 2 vehicles and get a better quote. (we have NC State Farm right now). Our NC State Farm is $579 for the total premium...UPC quoted me $1700!!!! Neither DH or I have had any accidents, or tickets. Today we will call Florida State Farm and get a quote. Is Florida car insurance that much more than other states?
I'd be surprised if you didn't get a much better rate for car insurance with State Farm. We've had State Farm for years, have three cars and the annual insurance premium for each one is somewhere between $600-700 depending on the car. The insurance rates here in Florida may be a little higher than where you came from in NC, depending on where you were there, but unless that $1700 is an annual total for two cars, IMO it's high.

You'll clarify all this, of course, when you speak to State Farm, but in our experience with them, they give a "bundling" (multiple line) discount for vehicles to policyholders who have homeowner's insurance with them, but not for multiple cars. We had a homeowner's policy with State Farm when we lived in Miami, and got a bundling discount for our three cars (one driven by our daughter) because of the homeowner's policy ( which, BTW, did NOT have windstorm coverage, we had to purchase that separately from Citizens. When we moved to Punta Gorda, the rates decreased, but we also lost our "multiple line" discount so they added approximately $45 to the insurance on each car.

As you may know, State Farm no longer writes homeowner's policies in the state of Florida, but they do carry/administer Citizens' Insurance policies. They told us that should we insure our house here with Citizens ( fat chance, but that's another long sordid story, and I wouldn't recommend them), we could get that multiple line discount for our cars.

You probably already know this, but State Farm gives discounts for drivers over 50, and we got our rates reduced further when we informed them that we retired and now only use the cars for recreational use, not for work, and drive less than 7000/yr.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM

142 posts, read 203,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd be surprised if you didn't get a much better rate for car insurance with State Farm. We've had State Farm for years, have three cars and the annual insurance premium for each one is somewhere between $600-700 depending on the car. The insurance rates here in Florida may be a little higher than where you came from in NC, depending on where you were there, but unless that $1700 is an annual total for two cars, IMO it's high.

You'll clarify all this, of course, when you speak to State Farm, but in our experience with them, they give a "bundling" (multiple line) discount for vehicles to policyholders who have homeowner's insurance with them, but not for multiple cars. We had a homeowner's policy with State Farm when we lived in Miami, and got a bundling discount for our three cars (one driven by our daughter) because of the homeowner's policy ( which, BTW, did NOT have windstorm coverage, we had to purchase that separately from Citizens. When we moved to Punta Gorda, the rates decreased, but we also lost our "multiple line" discount so they added approximately $45 to the insurance on each car.

As you may know, State Farm no longer writes homeowner's policies in the state of Florida, but they do carry/administer Citizens' Insurance policies. They told us that should we insure our house here with Citizens ( fat chance, but that's another long sordid story, and I wouldn't recommend them), we could get that multiple line discount for our cars.

You probably already know this, but State Farm gives discounts for drivers over 50, and we got our rates reduced further when we informed them that we retired and now only use the cars for recreational use, not for work, and drive less than 7000/yr.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing the info...the $1700 quote from UPC was for 2 cars (we are over 50 and will not be driving more than 6000 miles a year). I will call State Farm here tomorrow and see what rate they can give us.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM

14,869 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Ask your agent..bet MOST of your insurance premium is for uninsured motorist. Yup, your paying for the people who are driving without insurance.
It's a chunk of change on that policy for uninsured motorist. It isn't mandatory coverage, so we opted many years ago to forego the uninsured motorist coverage, when we saw what it actually covers. It wasn't easy at first as it's a cash cow to insurance companies and they are reluctant to let it go, and they gave us a hard time.

We learned that what uninsured coverage allows a policyholder to do-period- is to sue his/her own insurance company for pain and suffering, and possibly lost wages, in the event of an accident caused by an uninsured driver. IMO one could do better with a disability insurance policy.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:09 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,010,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
I have two vehicles insured through State Farm. Full coverage cost $1200+ per year total. Not cheap, but still cheaper than New Jersey.
Our two cars down here are half as much to insure as we were paying in NJ.

I don't have full coverage as the cars are paid for, but I do have high liability coverage so it's about $1000/yr. If I dropped the coverage to the state minimum the total would be only $130 for both cars, per year! Since the cars are insured in her name and we are not married, and the houses and assets are all in my name...I've been thinking about it. If they sue her they won't get diddly. I won't go minimum but may cut the coverage in half.

And in FL no insurance is needed for motorcycles, that's another few hundred a year saved.

I can't complain.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,952,790 times
Our car insurance is a little more than it was in CA, but not too much; we have Mercury. Our house insurance is about 500 more, but our RE taxes are less. Seems like it all came out about a wash.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,010,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Our car insurance is a little more than it was in CA, but not too much; we have Mercury. Our house insurance is about 500 more, but our RE taxes are less. Seems like it all came out about a wash.
My RE taxes are $7k less than NJ per year. Same size house but I'm now on the water instead of in a battlefield.

Again, can't complain.....except I still own that Jersey house .

Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,952,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
My RE taxes are $7k less than NJ per year. Same size house but I'm now on the water instead of in a battlefield.

Again, can't complain.....except I still own that Jersey house .
Yep, New Jersey is a bear. I think the only places worse are Hawaii and Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte