Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
For some reason, the concrete tanks don't seem to last too long down here. I've heard of a bunch, and seen two personally (including my own), of concrete tanks that have failed. The reason given by the septic companies has been that the black water off gases an acidic vapor which in turn eats away the top of the concrete tanks over time. Granted, both of the ones that I've seen personally were around 30 years old (give or take some years), but I think I'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more for a poly tank. But on the same hand, who knows if I'll even be around in another 30 years??
Maybe it is the water. The septic tank at our house in Miami was the original one, put in when the house was built in 1958, ( making it 55+ years old) and it was concrete. It was still working just fine when we sold that house in January. We replaced the concrete top to the tank once after it cracked from a contractor's bobcat sitting on it for a while, as they were rebuilding the house after Hurricane Andrew, but that was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
So, Saxondale351, what was the outcome today?
They showed up on time and the price was 5 dollars lower than the quote. It was full to the rim with solids. Skimmer was blocked and the line from the house was covered with solids. I know it was never pumped in its 11 year life. I think it lasted this long because it was only used in winters for many of those years. The Service person also said he thought it had never been pumped.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
MA, don't do it!!!!!!!!! You are in the next "zone" for sewer expansion after they force my area on us. Have the hole repaired vs wasting the money on a new tank that you'll only get a few years use out of
I think the sewer system they will force upon us is a high pressure system (or something like that). From what I understand, you will still have your septic tank but a blocked off drain field. A pump in your tank will force the crap to the sewer pipes at the street when it gets high. The tank would still need to be inspected periodically too. All that and our taxes and water prices go up too, it's a lose-lose for us.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
We had Gibson come out to pump our tank two weeks ago based on the recommendation of a neighbor. I wasn't real pleased with their customer service from the office so when the driver emptied the tank and told me we needed a new septic, I was skeptical. They wanted $3450 to replace it with a poly propylene tank.

We got a second opinion from Martin septic. They came out the same morning I called.
The inspection was the same, a 6 inch hole in the top of our tank, which appears to be 30 years old. They gave us a bid of $3000 to replace it with a new concrete tank. The office staff, as well as the driver who came out to our house, were very professional and they earned my business. The tank should go in in the next few days once the permitting process is complete.
I would never pay 3k for a new tank because of a hole that size. I can buy a lot of fiberglass and resin with hardener for 25 bucks. I bet I can repair it for 50 bucks or less. At worst, I would put aluminum on it and rivet it to the tank. put some tar on it and your good to go. For gods sake it holds crap. LOL.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I think the sewer system they will force upon us is a high pressure system (or something like that). From what I understand, you will still have your septic tank but a blocked off drain field. A pump in your tank will force the crap to the sewer pipes at the street when it gets high. The tank would still need to be inspected periodically too. All that and our taxes and water prices go up too, it's a lose-lose for us.
Come on home prices go up more, I will sell and move to my hills in Missouri.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
It's a vacuum system and our anti-sewer group has been told numerous times that our entire existing system would be crushed and filled.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
It's a vacuum system and our anti-sewer group has been told numerous times that our entire existing system would be crushed and filled.
Good to hear...if they are telling us the truth.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM

229 posts, read 346,879 times
Vacuum system? Never heard of such an animal except on a honey wagon. Got any details Hopper?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
Vacuum system? Never heard of such an animal except on a honey wagon. Got any details Hopper?
I think he means its a pumper system. The field is higher than the tank and there is a pump that sewage ejector that pumps it out to the field.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
No, I said what I meant-a hybrid vacuum system. It's what our crooked county has been promoting for two years. Similar to some other neighborhoods' sewer systems. Every 8-10 houses there will be a control panel with vacuum station in the front yard (easement). Guess what happens when the power goes out??? CCU claims they will install backflow-prevention valves, but they LIE about everything else so I don't see why they would tell the truth about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte