U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM

320 posts, read 244,379 times

Advertisements

Here is the article from the Miami Herald regarding the delay of the rate increase.

Congressional accord reached on flood insurance rate delay | Naked Politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,244,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I can find nowhere online where it states my BFE. Everything is related to NY/NJ. My neighbors and I are all about the same elevation, 9-10ft per our elevation certs. Homes built between '69-76. Mine is 1970 and I am not seeing an increase.
Your elevation cert should also state your flood zone (or BFE).

You can also find this info on the Charlotte County property appraiser's website: Charlotte County Property Appraiser

Go to record search, type your house number and street name.

On the property detail page, it will show your flood zone. That is your BFE.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
1,074 posts, read 686,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
The rates increases will be delayed for 4 years to study the impact to homeowners. The house just passed it.
My understanding is that the delay must still be voted on in the full House & Senate. Time for everyone to contact their Reps and Senators and demand their support.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 AM

2,139 posts, read 1,832,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
Here is the article from the Miami Herald regarding the delay of the rate increase.

Looks like the house and senate still need to vote on the deal, but hopefully it is pushed through

The tentative deal, which still must be voted on in both the House and Senate, was hailed by Gov. Rick Scott and members of Florida's congressional delegation, which urged a delay in the rate increases.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 AM

31,035 posts, read 19,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post

I think a phase-in makes more sense but either way, the fact that sometime in the next 5-10 years these rates are probably going to be fully realized.

Consequently, I would think that the proverbial cat is already out of the bag with regards to the chilling effect on home prices in flood zones as the purchaser would have to be thinking that longer term they will be facing this cost.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
My understanding is that the delay must still be voted on in the full House & Senate. Time for everyone to contact their Reps and Senators and demand their support.
Ha, sorry, I didn't see your post before posting mine...

Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 AM

31,035 posts, read 19,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
It's getting bi-partisan support. Any party voting against it will have a hard time winning Florida in 2016 so it will pass.

Just like other programs like subsidized crop insurance will be around for a long time.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Your elevation cert should also state your flood zone (or BFE).

You can also find this info on the Charlotte County property appraiser's website: Charlotte County Property Appraiser

Go to record search, type your house number and street name.

On the property detail page, it will show your flood zone. That is your BFE.
My elev cert just says "AE", but the County appraiser's site says "9AE". I use that site almost daily for various things, but never paid attention to the flood zone. According to my elev cert, the lowest building elevation is 9.8

I could find no FEMA maps for my area, but I guess the BFE is 9' according to the County.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM

320 posts, read 244,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think a phase-in makes more sense but either way, the fact that sometime in the next 5-10 years these rates are probably going to be fully realized.

Consequently, I would think that the proverbial cat is already out of the bag with regards to the chilling effect on home prices in flood zones as the purchaser would have to be thinking that longer term they will be facing this cost.
I agree. The chilling effect of this new law has already mowed down our fragile recovery in real estate.
All of the strip malls on Tamiami with small businesses would face increases in rents and perhaps wipe out their profit margin. Although rate increases are probably inevitable this law has been devastating.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM

893 posts, read 493,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
My elev cert just says "AE", but the County appraiser's site says "9AE". I use that site almost daily for various things, but never paid attention to the flood zone. According to my elev cert, the lowest building elevation is 9.8

I could find no FEMA maps for my area, but I guess the BFE is 9' according to the County.
That is correct 9AE would have a BFE of 9 feet, meaning that in any year there is a 1% chance of the water reaching that height.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte