U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,953 posts, read 2,847,402 times

Advertisements

Should have just done it myself. I took some window screens to The Window Man in Port Charlotte for screen replacement. Prior to that, I visited the store with the screen sizes written on a piece of scrap paper. I asked for a price for new screen and wrote down the prices. However, when I went to pick up the screens, the price seemed much higher (unfortunately I did not have my scrap paper with me). I mentioned that the price seemed higher than what I remembered but got a reply of, "The screen is very expensive". Hmm. When I got home I found my scrap paper and found that the new price was about 50% higher!!

I was venting about this to my neighbor and he said the same thing had happened to him there a few years ago, only with rollers for patio doors. He had gotten estimates for $2 apiece but when he went to pick them up was charged $3.50 apiece.

So, as the post title says, shame on The Window Man for deceptive pricing. And, on the same hand, shame on me for not asking for a quote on their stationary for the work. Lesson learned. So much for using the local, small business guy. Use caution if using The Window Man in Port Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM

528 posts, read 801,473 times
Point taken thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM

180 posts, read 209,676 times
I had to have some windows replaced on my house in North Port. I told the guy that I contracted with that I was going to get a couple more bids. He told me that was fine as long as I didn't call "The Window Man". He said he had a couple of jobs that consisted of fixing windows that "The Window Man" had put in. Normally I would take advice like that with a grain of salt but something in the way he told me made me believe him.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM

177 posts, read 369,457 times
Default Cheap

Coincidentally, I'm on my way to Home Depot right now to get some screen material. Putting in new screens is one of those 'do it yourself' jobs that's truly easy and also cheap. Now, if it's screen on a pool cage....that's a different matter. That can be kind of tricky!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,953 posts, read 2,847,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
Coincidentally, I'm on my way to Home Depot right now to get some screen material. Putting in new screens is one of those 'do it yourself' jobs that's truly easy and also cheap. Now, if it's screen on a pool cage....that's a different matter. That can be kind of tricky!
Yup, I agree. I had already re-screened once but the cats tore up the screens while trying to get at the lizards and frogs outside. Because of that, we decided to replace the window screens with pet screens. I figured with the screen being that much thicker and needing a different size spline that it would be just as easy to take it somewhere to get done. Easier; yes. But at a price!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM

177 posts, read 369,457 times
Default Screen

My problem was a rat who must have smelled the BBQ and came in through a small panel of the pool cage screen.I bought the screen material..... and also a rat trap.

I'm going to use the rat trap before I replace the screen!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,081,259 times
when I lived in gulf cove we had sandhill cranes 4 or 5 at a time would come walking up the road somtime they would eat lizards off the pool screen making holes

Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,203,136 times
I needed new screens and frames for 5 very large windows a couple weeks ago. The old frames were warped and filthy. I priced out doing it myself and found it was cheaper to have a pro do it. Cost me $20 a piece for about 60" x 50" frames and screens. I used Craig Mahoney from Reliable Screen Protection. Nice guy and local. While he was here he also made me a small screen for my doggie door, and did a couple lanai screens for my neighbor.

I normally rescreen myself, but Lowes wanted way too much for the aluminum frame parts.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,676,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Should have just done it myself. I took some window screens to The Window Man in Port Charlotte for screen replacement. Prior to that, I visited the store with the screen sizes written on a piece of scrap paper. I asked for a price for new screen and wrote down the prices. However, when I went to pick up the screens, the price seemed much higher (unfortunately I did not have my scrap paper with me). I mentioned that the price seemed higher than what I remembered but got a reply of, "The screen is very expensive". Hmm. When I got home I found my scrap paper and found that the new price was about 50% higher!!

I was venting about this to my neighbor and he said the same thing had happened to him there a few years ago, only with rollers for patio doors. He had gotten estimates for $2 apiece but when he went to pick them up was charged $3.50 apiece.

So, as the post title says, shame on The Window Man for deceptive pricing. And, on the same hand, shame on me for not asking for a quote on their stationary for the work. Lesson learned. So much for using the local, small business guy. Use caution if using The Window Man in Port Charlotte.
People are here this year like locust, so prices are going to go up. The days of having to scrap to get any job are gone or going. Its not going to be cheap to live here for much longer. Its going to go back more like 2007, so get used to more people less goods and higher prices. Paradise is not cheap. LOL

Old 11-17-2013, 06:55 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,991,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
People are here this year like locust, so prices are going to go up. The days of having to scrap to get any job are gone or going. Its not going to be cheap to live here for much longer. Its going to go back more like 2007, so get used to more people less goods and higher prices. Paradise is not cheap. LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte