U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM

15 posts, read 19,562 times

Advertisements

Let me first thank everyone on this site for all the info you have provided. My wife and I were in PC/SGC last month and fell in love with the area. Just like in this forum, everyone we met was friendly and helpful.
We purchased a lot in SGC and will hopefully break ground after the first of the year. I need advice on keeping tabs on the builder and construction process. When we built our current home here in Connecticut, we had a construction mortgage, hence the bank would send an Inspector out when money was to be disbursed to the builder and verify completion up to that point. We won't be using the services of a bank this time so the question I pose is: Can I hire an Inspector to verify completion of construction at various stages? Should I look for an Appraiser? Any help will be gratefully appreciated! We look forward to calling you our new neighbors!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM

3,281 posts, read 3,905,586 times
Each step of the way has to be inspected by the Charlotte County Building Department. If there is a problem, it has to be corrected before it passes inspection. A certificate of occupancy will not be issued until everything is complete. Most people do not hire an inspector for new construction because there is a warranty with new construction. When we had our home built in North Port we were still living in NY. We had my parents check on it at different stages and send us photos. We were here for the final walk through.

You could contact the Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association and they may have a recommendation for you of what you could do. Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - CDBIA, 941-625-0804

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,232,280 times
They will probably be sending you photos as the house progresses.

You can also keep track of inspections by checking this site frequently.

Charlotte County, FL | ePermit Online

Just input your street number and street name only.

You'll be able to see if inspections pass or fail, and why. The inspections that are being completed will let you know how the house is progressing.

Your first draw will probably be slab draw and you will be receiving an elevation certificate at this time. If you get one, you know the slab was poured.

The next draw will probably be due after interior walls are framed and roof dried in (inspection = roof dry in).

There's not another major inspection that will coincide with a draw until the very end, so you'll need to rely on your builders photos during that time.

The pool will be on a separate permit.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,036,041 times
who is your builder ? They should send you photos if you ask...

you could hire an inspector or you could ask a friend if you know anyone here to 'pop round' and take some

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks again everyone! I didn't realize the Port Charlotte Building Inspector would be signing off on so much. Our builder here in CT tried to get way too much money on the earlier draws which the bank put a stop to. We have chosen DMDean as our builder in SGC, they operate on 6 draws which seems about right when I do the math based on what they claim they will have done at that point. Of course we will have to wait and see how it plays out. They stated they would send photos during the process. Have to get the permits before we worry about draws! As long as I'm asking questions, any recommendations for homeowner and flood insurance? Currently with Travelers. Thanks for the help!!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,905,586 times
For homeowner insurance be sure to check with a minimum of 3 different insurance companies. You will see that quotes vary. AAA insurance can check around for insurance through various companies that they represent.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 AM

316 posts, read 292,169 times
From what I have read I would build above the flood plan if possible to avoid flood insurance, the rates appear to be going up and the extra cost would to be recouped quickly I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpacker01 View Post
Thanks again everyone! I didn't realize the Port Charlotte Building Inspector would be signing off on so much. Our builder here in CT tried to get way too much money on the earlier draws which the bank put a stop to. We have chosen DMDean as our builder in SGC, they operate on 6 draws which seems about right when I do the math based on what they claim they will have done at that point. Of course we will have to wait and see how it plays out. They stated they would send photos during the process. Have to get the permits before we worry about draws! As long as I'm asking questions, any recommendations for homeowner and flood insurance? Currently with Travelers. Thanks for the help!!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks again!

Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM

62 posts, read 34,198 times
If I was you I would have someone stopping by to check out the work on a regular basis, pictures and inspectors do not check to see if walls or columns are straight or where they are suppose to be, or tell you if they used primer before they painted the walls or the outside of the house. There are just things that need to be checked more then what the inspector checks. Plus sometimes the inspections could be passed just on the contractors reputation, because they assume it will be fixed the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte