Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,612,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
The alligators are indigenous to Florida and Louisiana.
I'm sure the residents of Georgia, North Carolina, Mississippi and Texas are happy to know that all of the alligators have moved to Florida, Louisiana and New Jersey. LOL

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,675,187 times
Apparently the Disney event has far reaching results. These signs recently appeared in Charlotte County.
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators in Charlotte County-img_3872.jpg  

Old 07-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Apparently the Disney event has far reaching results. These signs recently appeared in Charlotte County.
The problem is there are alligators everywhere in Florida and now a lack of signs every just increases liability for everyone.

Should Wallgreens on 41 in PG have a sign because I saw an alligator in the parking lot?

I think it's the same one that was also wandering around Muscle Car City.

There should be signs at all border crossings and at the airports that say "Welcome to Florida. Beware of Alligators everywhere. Even the pool"

Old 07-30-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The problem is there are alligators everywhere in Florida and now a lack of signs everywhere just increases liability for everyone.

Should Wallgreens on 41 in PG have a sign because I saw an alligator in the parking lot?

I think it's the same one that was also wandering around Muscle Car City.

There should be signs at all border crossings and at the airports that say "Welcome to Florida. Beware of Alligators everywhere. Even the pool"
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators in Charlotte County-image.jpeg  

Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 PM

This is a WINK news clip of 37 alligators being moved from one area to another in an animal rescue site in Bonita Springs.

VIDEO: Everglades Wonder Gardens transfers gators | WINK NEWS

Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Alligator nearly bites off Florida woman’s hand

By Reuters
Posted Aug. 13, 2016, at 10:10 a.m.

A woman visiting the Florida Everglades was attacked on Friday by an alligator that bit her hand nearly off, local media reported.

Kimberly Ann Sexton, 49, was reaching into the water in northwestern Broward County to retrieve a can she had dropped when the alligator, described as four to five feet long, attacked, according to WSVN-TV, a local station.

“She sustained a severe hand injury that was almost a full amputation of the right hand in the wrist,” Broward Sheriff and Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles told the station for a story on its website.

Jachles said people accompanying Sexton grabbed her to prevent her from falling into the water, which “could have very well saved her life,” the station reported.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:16 PM

5,815 posts, read 12,573,624 times
Read the article, feel sorry for the woman. She was in a remote area of the everglades and reached into the water at night time to pick up a can in the water, not the sharpest tool in the shed. I try to avoid my dock area at night. She's in critical condition and is lucky that the medevac got there in time to save her.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Read the article, feel sorry for the woman. She was in a remote area of the everglades and reached into the water at night time to pick up a can in the water, not the sharpest tool in the shed. I try to avoid my dock area at night. She's in critical condition and is lucky that the medevac got there in time to save her.
JM, you may remember a few years ago a woman doing gardening in Sanibel was dragged into the water by an alligator. A cop arrived and got in a tug of war with it and was able to save the woman. However she died a few days later from a massive infection. The bacteria in a gators mouth because of them always eating dead things they have allowed to age becomes a second life threatening situation sometimes.

Interesting as alligators are, we all need to be careful when around them or areas they frequent. Being Florida, that is just about everyplace.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,417,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

I don't mean this as a joke, or cruel, but maybe she reached out to pick up a beer can, and wasn't thinking ? Aren't there signs all over in the Everglades about alligators and critters, snakes, etc. ?
Amazing that someone was not aware of their surroundings, in the Everglades. Very sad indeed.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 PM

5,815 posts, read 12,573,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I don't mean this as a joke, or cruel, but maybe she reached out to pick up a beer can, and wasn't thinking ? Aren't there signs all over in the Everglades about alligators and critters, snakes, etc. ?
Amazing that someone was not aware of their surroundings, in the Everglades. Very sad indeed.
I guess it could happen to anyone in florida that is around fresh or brackish water especially at night. when they feed. When we were 7 or 8 our parents took us into the everglades on a boat ride and we were told to beware of gators/snakes/critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte