Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times

Advertisements

My best yet this season; was following a lady on jacaranda. As we entered the infamous roundabout, we were in the outside lane, she came to a FULL STOP (inside the roundabout) at the first exit to venice ave. Then proceeded. I thought she didn't know where she was going. But then came to another full stop 20 feet later at the "inlet" from venice ave! Then proceeded, and we both continued straight on jacaranda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
I can beat that, I had someone on the small roundabout by the Lock and key......missed the turn off to go back up to 776, so instead of going ALL the way round (what 50 feet) stopped and reversed towards me , then turned !!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 AM

174 posts, read 409,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I can beat that, I had someone on the small roundabout by the Lock and key......missed the turn off to go back up to 776, so instead of going ALL the way round (what 50 feet) stopped and reversed towards me , then turned !!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Omg!!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
oh yea....needless to say I had some choice words for them

I think roundabouts are so few and far between down here they confuse people, in the Uk they are far more common...my worst experience on one was in the Uk when I was going round one on a flyover above the highway, this was a 2 laner probably half a mile circumference...suddenly a car came towards me -going the wrong direction - which was bad enough, but then the driver panicked and turned onto the spur road (4 lane divided road) again the wrong way !!!!

it reminded me of the old joke

a senior is driving along I75 when his cell rings and its his wife.
'Honey' she says 'be careful ,they just said on the news an idiot is driving down 75 in the wrong direction'

'its worse than that baby' screams the old man ' there's hundreds of the a55holes'

:-)

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp528 View Post
Many drivers from New Jersey and Pennsylvania, will hog up the left lane and will refuse to move! So, not only could it be the driver doesn't care, it could be where they are from, since most of us are transplants from one place or another.
I don't think it's so much what state you're from but how large of a roadway system you had when you first started to drive.
I grew up in Northeastern PA where our highway system was two lanes (in each direction). People generally drove in the right lane and passed in the left. Once I moved to a more metropolitan area (Wash. D.C.) where the roads were 3 or 4 lanes wide, I noticed that people tended to stay in whatever lane they were in. Maybe they figure, "Heck, there are plenty of other lanes for others to use." Or maybe it's just another sign of our society in a whole being more self absorbed. As far as hogging the left lanes on local roads, with so many other drivers refusing to let in a merging vehicle, by speeding up once you signal your intention so that there isn't any room for you to come over, I can under stand some people getting in the lane they need as early as they can. Not necessarily agreeing with it; just trying to rationalize it.

Last edited by MikMal; 12-06-2013 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: added text.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
If its not an express way you don't have to keep left. Not to mention that a lot of people here drive like idiots no matter what lane your in. Traffic is nuts here. I have to now wait 3 light changes and watch out for people who should not have DLs and drive 3mph or like its a take of fast and furious. Too many people not enough space.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
If its not an express way you don't have to keep left. Not to mention that a lot of people here drive like idiots no matter what lane your in. Traffic is nuts here. I have to now wait 3 light changes and watch out for people who should not have DLs and drive 3mph or like its a take of fast and furious. Too many people not enough space.
I am not familiar with the express way law you mention. My point is common courtesy is to drive in the right lane if you are not passing.

Today South of PG on 41 there was a motorcycle in the left lane going slow for as many miles as it took an 18 wheeler to eventually pass him on the right and then I was able to do the same. Guy about my age in all his fancy leather and a helmet driving a shiny new Harley like a ZOMBIE on a M-cycle.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Default Yes !!! Georgia a state with common sense.

Left lane drivers beware- if you're driving slower than other traffic, Georgia wants you to move over! Yesterday, the Georgia Legislature approved a bill that would allow police to cite and ticket those driving too slowly in the left lanes on the state's major thoroughfares, even if they're travelling the speed limit.

The "slow poke" bill would require any driver on a divided highway to move to the right- even if they're driving at the posted speed limit- when a faster vehicle attempts to pass, or face a misdemeanor charge.

The bill previously passed the Georgia House of Representatives 162-9 in February, and yesterday it passed the Senate by a wide 42-5 margin. The bill now heads to Governor Nathan Deal's desk for a signature before it becomes law.

Many states currently already have similar laws, but this one seems to stand above as it simply tells anyone that if a vehicle is attempting to pass, you must move over, regardless of speed.

Drivers caught daydreaming in the left land could face a misdemeanor penalties of upto $1,000 and up to a year in prison. The bill's sponsor, former 33-year state trooper Bill Hitchens, says he doesn't expect the penalties to be as significant as the bill has implied.

According to USA Today, John Bowman, a spokesman for the National Motorists Association, said "We call it lane courtesy. We trace (its demise) back to the implementation of the 55-mph maximum national speed limit. All of a sudden, it became more acceptable to drive at a slower pace. And people thought it was their duty to police others by forcing everyone to slow down. And I think it continues even today."
Read more at Georgia tells slow pokes: move over! - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM

191 posts, read 299,583 times

It would also seem as though there are a lot of people getting confused about turning "right on red" ......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte