Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM

378 posts, read 628,864 times

Advertisements

RexLan, do you have a ball park figure for putting in a stem wall that is say, three feet above the fill on a 1600 sq ft house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
a good ball park figure ,dependent on factors is around $4-6k

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
RexLan, do you have a ball park figure for putting in a stem wall that is say, three feet above the fill on a 1600 sq ft house?
Typically about $2,500 - $3,000 per course of block; however, I doubt the county would permit it unless necessary due to a low lot and it it a total waste of money to go much beyond FEMA. It would also be unsightly and the association may not approve it. The county will only permit 1' of fill on native soil and the remainder will require stem wall for the building pad and pool if needed with proper slopes dependent on you lot. The stem wall is there to contain the fill and nothing more.

Follow the FEMA guidelines and build 6" above the elevation. Most of Rotonda is 10' ... some is 8'

Last edited by RexLan; 12-29-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I would like to learn more about this. Can someone explain further why it is impractical to build up a lot and what that process would entail beyond using fill? I apologize for my ignorance.

Impractical because of cost and it is not necessary.

County will allow 1' of fill to be placed on native ground. Building pad is requited to be at FEMA elevation with is 10' for the most part in Rotonda. Reputable builders add 6". If you require 3' of fill to get your site to grade then you will require stem walls (concrete block and footer) to contain the fill under the building pad.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
36" / 8" block = 4.5 course stemwall

4.5 x $2,500 = $11,250

That doesn't include the pool stem wall, which would add another $4,000, give or take ($1,000 per course)

Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbunny1 View Post
We found a lot in Pine Valley that has a BFE of 10'6".
Hi sunbunny- we are Edgewater Homes. I would be glad to provide you a list of references to call. I'm not familiar with Capitol builders, but Hamsher is also good. We have a home going up in Pine Valley, where is your lot?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 AM

378 posts, read 628,864 times
Thanks for all of the information. Very informative.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
I've looked at quite a few homes round here.
I can confirm Edgewater do indeed do nice work, Hamsher are pretty good too, there is also a guy called Brian Gonsalves, Brigon Homes, does very nice stuff.

I look at homes with a very critical eye (my own included)and gthese guys stack up...... there are also a couple of companies that do 'style' very well but the substance is lacking....ie fancy ceilings etc, but basic cabinets, 2cm granite in bathrooms, one home I found tiles not running square to a wall....its all down to supervision and quality of labor.

some companies use all subs. if you screw people down on price they do the same on their subs and work standards drop...also if companies grow too quickly they often lose touch with the important things.............thats why going for one of the smaller names doesn't hurt, sometimes the personal touch and quality is better.

if cost is your overall factor , go with Adams...about as basic as you can get, BUT if you have a bigger budget then definitely look to get what you are paying for.

AND make sure you feel like your builder is interested in YOU, I've built homes from small 600 ft apartments to a $5m 9000 sq ft mansion....each gets the same attention because to the customer its possibly the biggest purchase in their lives.

I had the misfortune to once work for the biggest builder in the UK...it was all about £££££ and shareholders......they refereed to clients as 'profit completions' !!!! WT? , there mantra was keep expectations low then they wont be disappointed ! and they rushed people in as quick as possible, then dealt with problems (slowly) afterwards. they made have made millions but their quality was awful...

Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You should consider building with a higher elevation than currently required from FEMA (for flood). This is because FEMA is supposed to be revising flood maps in next few years. They might raise the required elevation which would then cause your flood insurance to be thousands of dollars per year (possibly thousands per month!). The big increase in insurance applies for homes that are below the FEMA required elevation. Maybe your new home meets the elevation today, but in 2016 if FEMA changes the maps, the same home could be too low.

Also consider a hip roof to help protect from high winds/hurricanes. The hip roof is a savings on windstorm insurance over a gabled roof.
Very Good Advice!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I've looked at quite a few homes round here.
I can confirm Edgewater do indeed do nice work, Hamsher are pretty good too, there is also a guy called Brian Gonsalves, Brigon Homes, does very nice stuff.

I look at homes with a very critical eye (my own included)and gthese guys stack up...... there are also a couple of companies that do 'style' very well but the substance is lacking....ie fancy ceilings etc, but basic cabinets, 2cm granite in bathrooms, one home I found tiles not running square to a wall....its all down to supervision and quality of labor.

some companies use all subs. if you screw people down on price they do the same on their subs and work standards drop...also if companies grow too quickly they often lose touch with the important things.............thats why going for one of the smaller names doesn't hurt, sometimes the personal touch and quality is better.

if cost is your overall factor , go with Adams...about as basic as you can get, BUT if you have a bigger budget then definitely look to get what you are paying for.

AND make sure you feel like your builder is interested in YOU, I've built homes from small 600 ft apartments to a $5m 9000 sq ft mansion....each gets the same attention because to the customer its possibly the biggest purchase in their lives.

I had the misfortune to once work for the biggest builder in the UK...it was all about £££££ and shareholders......they refereed to clients as 'profit completions' !!!! WT? , there mantra was keep expectations low then they wont be disappointed ! and they rushed people in as quick as possible, then dealt with problems (slowly) afterwards. they made have made millions but their quality was awful...
Sounds like Dean Custom Homes,stay away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte